PDA

View Full Version : MS Engineer asks user to use ubuntuforums

nikhilbhardwaj
January 27th, 2010, 06:45 PM
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7repair/thread/42d3f550-bf5f-459d-94ed-4cbadd7c933c

the chaps at microsoft are absolutely useless
check the reply to the above link

Chronon
January 27th, 2010, 06:49 PM
To be fair, the installation and removal of Ubuntu does rightly seem like an issue for ubuntuforums. I don't see anything wrong with a person on those forums saying, "And yeah, Ubuntu forums are excellent. You'll find the best resolutions there!"

V for Vincent
January 27th, 2010, 06:52 PM
1) It's an ubuntu related issue.
2) The guy gives credit where it is due. I think that's something to be applauded.

Zoot7
January 27th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Why didn't he just point him here?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247804

EDIT: No mention of Grub there, only LILO.

Anyway I agree with the previous two posters, I don't see how that makes the guy over there "useless" as it is indeed an Ubuntu issue, and besides the advice he gave the OP was pretty sound.

samh785
January 27th, 2010, 06:54 PM
1) It's an ubuntu related issue.
2) The guy gives credit where it is due. I think that's something to be applauded.
I agree with above post.

lisati
January 27th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I think I saw a question similar to the one in the MS thread asked in the last day or two here in the forums.....

Maheriano
January 27th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Ya, I don't get it. If someone here asked for help with their car, I'd tell them to go check some car forums.

doas777
January 27th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I think I saw a question similar to the one in the MS thread asked in the last day or two here in the forums.....
yep, wubi causes confusion on an almost daily basis.

Marlonsm
January 27th, 2010, 07:03 PM
To be fair, the installation and removal of Ubuntu does rightly seem like an issue for ubuntuforums. I don't see anything wrong with a person on those forums saying, "And yeah, Ubuntu forums are excellent. You'll find the best resolutions there!"

I agree, he gave a simple step-by-step and said that if he needed more help, this would be the best place.
The same way that if someone here asked how to remove Windows from a dual boot I'd tell him that the best place to find help isn't here.

Tristam Green
January 27th, 2010, 07:05 PM
lol, seriously? A Microsoft rep who can't give support to someone about Ubuntu points him here, you think he's stupid, and the MS rep is supposed to be the one with problems?

BRB - calling Canonical to demand they tell me how to configure Windows Boot Loaders.

audiomick
January 27th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I see it as a step forward that a MS engineer even mentions the Ubuntu forums, not to mention posting a link to it ;)

FuturePilot
January 27th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I see nothing wrong in that link. After all this is the best place to get help with Ubuntu.

But I guess just because it's coming from Microsoft: OMGWTF!!!!!111

howefield
January 27th, 2010, 07:17 PM

Looks like you jumped before looking....

What exactly about the reply makes you think it useless ?

Techsnap
January 27th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Microsoft can't do anything right can they here. They pointed the person to truely the right place to get assistance with their query, yet it's STILL Wrong.

Chronon
January 27th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Microsoft can't do anything right can they here. They pointed the person to truely the right place to get assistance with their query, yet it's STILL Wrong.

Now you seem to be throwing up a red herring. The responses to the OP all seem like-minded and agree that there was nothing wrong with the response on the other (MS) forum. You make an accusation of stereotyping yet seem to be engaging in the same sort of behavior.

Techsnap
January 27th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Now you seem to be throwing up a red herring. The responses to the OP all seem like-minded and agree that there was nothing wrong with the response on the other (MS) forum. You make an accusation of stereotyping yet seem to be engaging in the same sort of behavior.

Unless that was sarcastic, that is what the OP said.

NoaHall
January 27th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I can't believe that someone who works for Microsoft suggested to someone who had a Ubuntu problem to come to the Ubuntu forums! That's just sick!

Chronon
January 27th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Unless that was sarcastic, that is what the OP said.

Yes, but your response was:

Your statement attributes a particular attitude to this place (here) rather than to a person or particular set of persons. This represents needless generalization that isn't supported by the responses in this thread.

RabbitWho
January 27th, 2010, 09:34 PM
Competition and enemy are not synonymous.

MaxIBoy
January 28th, 2010, 12:23 AM
(NO NEW CONTENT IN THIS POST)
This is simply the best place to get an answer to the question, nothing wrong with pointing someone here for that purpose.

AllRadioisDead
January 28th, 2010, 01:07 AM
What's the point of this thread? A user needed help with an Ubuntu related issue, and they were directed to the Ubuntu forums. What else is there to say?

CharlesA
January 28th, 2010, 01:12 AM
What's the point of this thread? A user needed help with an Ubuntu related issue, and they were directed to the Ubuntu forums. What else is there to say?
It's a MS support bashing thread (or was failing to be).

Happens all the time around here.

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 28th, 2010, 01:47 AM
How many Linux distributions are there?

Why would anyone expect a Microsoft help representative to know how to give advice in solving a problem on all of those distributions?

The Microsoft help representative gave good advice as to where to get a solution. At least they gave a good reference to where to go for help.

Dr. C
January 28th, 2010, 03:53 AM
The response from the Microsoft Engineer was correct and professional. It pointed out the correct process to restore a single boot Windows 7 system and where to get assistance with the GNU / Linux issues.

steveneddy
January 28th, 2010, 04:32 AM
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7repair/thread/42d3f550-bf5f-459d-94ed-4cbadd7c933c

The OP in that thread is the ID-10t

Giant Speck
January 28th, 2010, 05:26 AM
People are always looking for cheap ways to bash Microsoft.

Pathetic.

k64
January 28th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Edited, and censored. Sorry for posting a rant.

whiskeylover
January 28th, 2010, 03:54 PM
More bashing = more drama :popcorn:

Keep it coming.

Tristam Green
January 28th, 2010, 03:55 PM
and bashing the op is better? at least bashing ms doesn't violate the coc.

do the linsux folks use twitter to coordinate your posts? or are they all the same guy with many accounts?

Bashing *anyone* is bad form, but when bashing is warranted (as in the case of ragging on someone fallaciously calling someone else a moron) it's generally accepted.

Giant Speck
January 28th, 2010, 04:12 PM
and bashing the op is better? at least bashing ms doesn't violate the coc.

do the linsux folks use twitter to coordinate your posts? or are they all the same guy with many accounts?

Was I specifically referring to the OP? I think not.

doas777
January 28th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Was I specifically referring to the OP? I think not.
when standing in a forrest with 100 green trees, and one pink one, and I remark about how much I hate pink, is there really much question about which tree I am are talking about?

Regenweald
January 28th, 2010, 04:14 PM

abject fanboism.

Giant Speck
January 28th, 2010, 04:16 PM
when standing in a forrest with 100 green trees, and one pink one, and I remark about how much I hate pink, is there really much question about which tree I am are talking about?

It depends on whether or not you know the pink tree is there and if you have actually seen the pink tree.

fatality_uk
January 28th, 2010, 09:43 PM
And yeah, Ubuntu forums are excellent. You'll find the best resolutions there!

Useless?? How exactly? Seems like a reasoned, logical response to me

squilookle
January 29th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Absolutely excellent response from the microsoft forum. Very professional, very clear, took careof all the possible pitfalls (backing up data, configuring bios to boot from cd). 10/10.

nikhilbhardwaj
January 29th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Looks like you jumped before looking....

What exactly about the reply makes you think it useless ?

if you pay some 200 dollars to get a product
then the least the guys could do is provide decent support

it was a simple matter of starting from the windows dvd and rebuilding the bootsector with bootsect

it's not really an ubuntu issue

and i've never said that ubuntu forums isn't the right place to ask for support
its simply the best

the only irony was MS asking its users to go there too

nikhilbhardwaj
January 29th, 2010, 12:01 PM
People are always looking for cheap ways to bash Microsoft.

Pathetic.

sorry.
you're right.

i guess i've become a windows hater of late
funny that i disliked those people who did the same

thanks to all for talking sense into me.

nikhilbhardwaj
January 29th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Useless?? How exactly? Seems like a reasoned, logical response to me

ya i apologize

i'd love to see liverpool get relegated :D:D
thats off topic though

whiskeylover
January 29th, 2010, 01:09 PM
if you pay some 200 dollars to get a product
then the least the guys could do is provide decent support

it was a simple matter of starting from the windows dvd and rebuilding the bootsector with bootsect

it's not really an ubuntu issue

and i've never said that ubuntu forums isn't the right place to ask for support
its simply the best

the only irony was MS asking its users to go there too

Yeah, and I spent $200 on my shoes. And I expect them to provide support for the underwear I bought at JC Penney.

clanky
January 31st, 2010, 07:08 PM
fail baawwwww is fail

Frak
January 31st, 2010, 07:11 PM

If this doesn’t solve your problem, then please post this issue in the Ubuntu community forums for further assistance. Here’s the link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/

He did exactly what Microsoft trained him to do. He is using a 3rd party product, and he is to refer him to an adequate source for help with that 3rd party product. That's incredibly useful. He could have said "Nope, that's third party, can't help or do anything", but it's against Microsoft guidelines to leave a user helpless.

RabbitWho
January 31st, 2010, 07:24 PM
wtf.. how is this thread still around.. if someone asks a question about microsoft here i've often seen them directed to a Microsoft website. big fricking deal!