PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How do I get a flatscreen to work with laptop?

theopneustos
January 27th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I loaded Ubuntu CE 9.10 on my HP Pavillion laptop. Up till now, I used this laptop with XP home edition like a desktop PC and have a seperate 19" screen (Genisat 9005L) So, the laptop is mostly closed while I use the flatscreen, so convenient.

When I start Ubuntu, the flatscreen (plugged into the VGA port) just flickers a purple array of colours, but the laptop's screen functions well.

I am an absolute beginner with Ubuntu, is there any solution? How can I get the flatscreen to work?

moody_mark
January 27th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Hi, open up your laptop so your have a workable screen, go to the "System --> Preferences --> Display" menu, you'll open up a dialog box for display preferences, you should see the two screens in there. You can click on the screen and change the resolution size and such the like.

warfacegod
January 27th, 2010, 05:35 PM
You may need to go to: System> Admin.> Hardware Drivers and activate the recommended video driver.

theopneustos
January 27th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Hi, open up your laptop so your have a workable screen, go to the "System --> Preferences --> Display" menu, you'll open up a dialog box for display preferences, you should see the two screens in there. You can click on the screen and change the resolution size and such the like.
I tried this, on your advise, but it only shows 1 screen. Try as i like, it doesn't detect the flatscreen

theopneustos
January 27th, 2010, 08:23 PM
You may need to go to: System> Admin.> Hardware Drivers and activate the recommended video driver.
I tried, but when I search for drivers, i just get the reply "No propriety drivers are in use on this system".
It also doesn't show any drivers listed.

tom.swartz07
January 27th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I tried, but when I search for drivers, i just get the reply "No propriety drivers are in use on this system".

What video card do you have?

Also, could you make sure the cable is plugged in, open a terminal and type
xrandr and copy/paste the output here?

warfacegod
January 27th, 2010, 09:12 PM

You probaly need to enable Restricted Extras in Software Sources.

An alternative to Hardware Drivers is EnvyNG:

sudo apt-get install envyng-core

theopneustos
January 29th, 2010, 08:00 PM
You probaly need to enable Restricted Extras in Software Sources.

An alternative to Hardware Drivers is EnvyNG:

I entered this line as you instructed, and i got the following reply: (I copied and pasted the reply:)

[sudo] password for jannie:
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for jannie:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package envyng-core

Is there a way to install proprietry drivers? The program says no such drivers is installed.

theopneustos
January 29th, 2010, 08:03 PM
What video card do you have?

Also, could you make sure the cable is plugged in, open a terminal and type
xrandr and copy/paste the output here?
My video card is a Nvidia Geforce Go 7400

audiomick
January 29th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Did you check, as warfacegod suggested, that "restricted" is enabled in your package sources? You didn't mention it.

dolphinaura
January 29th, 2010, 08:34 PM
32 bit
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_190.53.html

64 bit
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_amd64_190.53.html

theopneustos
January 29th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Did you check, as warfacegod suggested, that "restricted" is enabled in your package sources? You didn't mention it.
Yes, that box is enabled

Greenwidth
January 29th, 2010, 08:46 PM
See driver posting above (by dolphinaura)

You will need to stop gdm before installing.

CTRL + ALT + F1 - to switch to tty1

sudo service gdm stop - to stop gdm

sudo sh path/to/driver/NVIDIA_blah_blah.run

Greenwidth
January 29th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Another way is to add the nvidia ppa to your software sources, which is probably better as when you get a kernel upgrade you won't have to reinstall them.

ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa

open synaptic:
System > Admin > Synaptic

settings tab:
Repositories

Other software > add
paste ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa

reload

search for nvidia-190

mark for install

theopneustos
January 29th, 2010, 09:19 PM
People, I am quite frustrated. I have just loaded Ubuntu, don't have a handle on all the commands, and without my flatscreen my laptop (battery not working) its screen too small for my eyes. I just want to get this flatscreen working, so i can see better! I downloaded that Nvidia file on the link, but now I don't know where Ubuntu stores it... Please give me that info?

audiomick
January 29th, 2010, 09:47 PM
there should be a "downloads" folder in your home folder. It should be in there.

theopneustos
January 29th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Another way is to add the nvidia ppa to your software sources, which is probably better as when you get a kernel upgrade you won't have to reinstall them.

open synaptic:

settings tab:
Repositories

Other software > add

reload

search for nvidia-190

mark for install
Thanks Greenwidth! This one worked! Thanks everyone. I appreciate. Keep up the good work!
Now I can start learning Ubuntu....:D

Wizard of Cause
March 8th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm experiencing a similar problem getting my LCD TV to connect to my laptop via S-video.

I am working with an ATI Radeon x1200 graphics card. Whenever I try to update the drivers, it still can't find the s-video port.

Can anyone help?

colmeweb
August 22nd, 2010, 04:00 AM
Hi everybody,
I did everything in

Originally Posted by Greenwidth http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8744736#post8744736)

open synaptic:

settings tab:
Repositories

Other software > add

reload

search for nvidia-190

mark for install

but when I searched for nvidia-190 it wasn't there. Anybody got any advice that could help

Thanks