PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Windows Alongside Ubuntu (Not the Opposite)

mrgeee
January 27th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Hello.

I have recently switched to Ubuntu 9.10 since I was sick of Windows's endless errors and freezes and I am pretty happy, but...

My hard drive was formatted completely before the installation of Ubuntu.

So now I have a single 80GB partition with Ubuntu on it. The thing is that I miss the good old games and the Wine just doesn't fly my kite. VirtualBox doesn't suit my needs too.

I want to install Windows XP on a NEW partition WITHOUT messing up the current Ubuntu installation. I have plenty of free space on the current (single) partition (about 50GB). How do I "move" this free space to a new partition and install the Windows there, so I can dual-boot?

Regards!

Nightstrike2009
January 27th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I know how you feel Mrgeee;

I too am in the same boat my thread is here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1391741

Virtual box is impressive but lacks full directx support, I want to eventually purge my pc of xp but currently wish to dual boot the way you do too. :-)

I would suggest downloading and using "Gparted" the Gnome Partition editor for Ubuntu.

I too am looking for the same answers you are.

SteveHillier
January 27th, 2010, 02:54 PM
mrgeee,
I have just posted a response to Nightstrike2009's thread which might be relevant to you.