PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Headphone is working but speakers are not

chirag64
January 27th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Hello, I've Ubuntu 9.10 installed on my desktop dual boot with Windows 7..

This is my motherboard. (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2859)

My motherboard has 6 slots for sound devices and I use a pair of speakers and my headphones together, so they all take up 3 slots, i.e. 1 for speaker, 1 for headphone output and 1 for headphone's mic...

I'm able to listen from my headphone as well as speakers at any given point of time on Windows 7, but recently when I installed Ubuntu, it only gives audio output to my headphones, and not my speakers...

Any ideas how I can fix this so that I can receive audio output on the speakers as well as headphones?

prodiman
January 29th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Try this: Go to Ubuntu Software Center and search for GNOME Alsa Mixer. Try configuring the settings there to see if it would help.

chirag64
February 3rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Hey, I tried disconnecting my headphones so that only my speakers are connected and i even tried the software GNOME Alsa Mixer, but all of it didn't work...I'm guessing its still not able to detect my speakers since my motherboard has 6 similar ports....any idea how to configure Ubuntu to recognize what kind of device i'm connecting?!?

chirag64
November 7th, 2010, 08:53 AM
OK, there are specific ports on my motherboard for Speakers and Headphones and mic. I had not inserted the pins in the proper ports. Although this cud be configured easily in Windows 7, I was not able to do the same in Ubuntu.

I put the pins in the right place and now all my audio devices work fine on Ubuntu as well :)