PDA

View Full Version : gtk+/gtkmm problems compiling simple programs

boxnapper
January 27th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Hey, I'm new here, so I'll say hello first.

I know basic c++. I want to start learning OpenGL, but I need to learn a GUI. I've chosen GTK+/GTKmm. Mostly, I want to learn GTKmm, because I'm a c++ programmer.

Moreover, I keep trying to compile a file(rhymes--lol), but it doesn't want to find the directories & compile. This is really hindering the pace I want to keep with learning.

Here is some code & quotes from my terminal.

Beforehand, if any more info is needed, just ask.

What I type into my terminal.

g++ -Wall -o simple simplegtk.cpp `pkg-config --libs --cflags libgtk2.0-dev`

This is what the output is.

Package libgtk2.0-dev was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libgtk2.0-dev.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libgtk2.0-dev' found
simplegtk.cpp:1:19: error: gtkmm.h: No such file or directory
simplegtk.cpp:3: error: ‘Gtk’ has not been declared
simplegtk.cpp:3: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘kit’
simplegtk.cpp:5: error: ‘Gtk’ has not been declared
simplegtk.cpp:5: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘window’
simplegtk.cpp:7: error: ‘Gtk’ has not been declared
simplegtk.cpp:7: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before ‘(’ token

This is the code I'm trying to compile.

#include <gtkmm.h>

Gtk::Main kit(argc, argv);

Gtk::Window window;

Gtk::Main::run(window);

If I'm using the code right, I'm not sure. I got it from the GTKmm documentation (http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtkmm-tutorial/unstable/sec-basics-simple-example.html.en).

Some Penguin
January 27th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Just to get this out of the way: you *have* installed the dev package (libgtk2.0-dev) and not just libgtk, right? Where "foo" and "foo-dev" are both available, it usually means that the header files are only in the dev (because you don't need the header files at runtime, normally -- just the libraries and any configuration files and the like).

dwhitney67
January 27th, 2010, 12:01 PM
This is the code I'm trying to compile.

#include <gtkmm.h>

Gtk::Main kit(argc, argv);

Gtk::Window window;

Gtk::Main::run(window);

If I'm using the code right, I'm not sure. I got it from the GTKmm documentation (http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtkmm-tutorial/unstable/sec-basics-simple-example.html.en).
EDIT:

I just realized that you indicated that you wanted to do C++ development. Regular GTK should be avoided, and in lieu of it, GTK+ should be used. I think you are aware of this, but the reference material you are using is not appropriate.

Here's a link to a tutorial for GTK+ (2.0):
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk-tutorial/2.17/

As for the pkg-config, you want to specify "gtk+-2.0" as the package name, not "libgtk2.0-dev".

SledgeHammer_999
January 27th, 2010, 02:49 PM
install libgtkmm-2.4-dev and compile with:

g++ -Wall -o simple simplegtk.cpp `pkg-config --libs --cflags gtkmm-2.4`

Yuo should read the cocs more carefully. Your link mentions how to compile with Gtkmm at the end of the page.

boxnapper
January 27th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Ok thanks.

boxnapper
January 27th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks a lot guys. It worked, and now I can learn this stuff(gtk).