PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody have any Linux certifications?

Roasted
January 27th, 2010, 05:16 AM
I just wanted to generate some sort of open discussion on Linux certifications here. I have used Linux for about 5 years or so, both at home and at work. I'd definitely like to get a certification with it, but a problem I often have is I always feel like I don't know enough.

Who has gotten certifications here? Were they costly? How hard were they? I'm just trying to get some sort of idea on the material that's often on them and how involved you have to be with them.

Xbehave
January 27th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I got LPCI1 on the cheep ~200, it wasn't too hard, but due to my CV being otherwise described as "pretty lame" i haven't really noticed any increased interest either.

Ji Ruo
January 27th, 2010, 09:02 AM
I haven't done any, but I had a general idea of doing at least LPI level 1 sometime soon. It's 2 tests per level for LPIC (3 for level 3 I think) and exams here in Australia cost $225 each to take. Once you've done level 1 you can also do an Ubuntu level 1 certification (1 test, same price). They can be booked here through Vue or Prometric.

I was under the (vague) impression that the tests were reasonably challenging and had a high failure rate, like 2/3 or something. There are probably some sample test q's around if you looked.

There's RHCE as well...

szymon_g
January 27th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I got LPCI1 on the cheep ~400, it wasn't too hard, but due to my CV being otherwise described as "pretty lame" i haven't really noticed any increased interest either.

400 quids!? last time i've checked, it costed (examination only) about 110 pounds :/

coutts99
January 27th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I've always found most IT certifications mostly useless.

Xbehave
January 27th, 2010, 02:57 PM
400 quids!? last time i've checked, it costed (examination only) about 110 pounds :/
Yeah your right it was 2*~100, for some reason my brain thought it was 2*(2*~100), stupid brain

Roasted
January 27th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I've always found most IT certifications mostly useless.

I'd have to disagree. There's a lot of IT certifications out there that can weigh more heavily than degrees themselves.

Example - My cousin works for the Pentagon. 2 year degree. He's in a position that requires a 6 year degree. Why? Certs.