PDA

View Full Version : What a joke.

Mahngiel
January 27th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Just decided to let y'all know this:

I just built a new machine, good specs and parts at a good price. Anyways, I ended up getting a free Win7 64-bit with my order. The first microsoft update... ha, updated the cdrom drive driver, and now it doesn't work under Windows.

Guess what? openSUSE and Karmic recognize it just fine. :popcorn: Bye Bye windows... again. (thank goodness it was free)

marin123
January 27th, 2010, 12:09 AM
when i was installing drivers on my girlfriend's toshiba laptop, i first booted in ubuntu to find out the components (wireless and sound card) and then looked and looked on the internet where to download drivers... thats a joke! :D

Techsnap
January 27th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Okay, I'll tell you what is a joke. The fact I have to power off my entire computer before rebooting into Windows because some of the FOSS drivers don't play with my hardware. A few years ago my Xbox 360 controller would be bricked until I fully powered off the machine because the FOSS Xbox module in the kernel would screw it up.

Now on my ATi card I get corruption onscreen until I power off the system after rebooting from Linux into Windows. This is not the first time either, going back quite a few years xf86 (this predates xorg though) used to totally screw my monitor up until I powered it off completely. After rebooting out of Linux no OS would detect the resolutions properly.

AllRadioisDead
January 27th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Oh, I get it. Another useless Microsoft bashing thread.
hahaha.
Oh wait...

dragos240
January 27th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Windows 7 didn't recognize my wireless card, nor my ethernet port. No way of getting updates. I sent it back and demanded a refund. Of course, my family was using it as well :).

Mahngiel
January 27th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Windows 7 didn't recognize my wireless card, nor my ethernet port. No way of getting updates. I sent it back and demanded a refund. Of course, my family was using it as well :).

At least you couldn't let windows blow your drivers

Another useless Windows bashing thread.

Not really, just goes to show why people quit using the crap.

pwnst*r
January 27th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Ubuntu, what a joke. When I upgraded to 9.10, it was so hosed I had to do a clean install. I contacted Canonical and demanded a refund for my time.

Mahngiel
January 27th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Ubuntu, what a joke. When I upgraded to 9.10, it was so hosed I had to do a clean install. I contacted Canonical and demanded a refund for my time.
+1
<--runs openSUSE

pwnst*r
January 27th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Oh, and I'll pay for postage for that copy of Win7.

ElSlunko
January 27th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Not a very good joke :(

blur xc
January 27th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Oh, and I'll pay for postage for that copy of Win7.

If he already installed it once and accepted the EULA, then would it be piracy to send you that copy of Win 7? And wouldn't sending it through the mail make it a federal crime- mail fraud or some crap like that?

Personally, the MS EULA is a joke- if I replace my CPU I'm required by some moral olbigation to go out and purchase a new Windows disk? ha!

BM

JDShu
January 27th, 2010, 01:07 AM
New windows installs don't work that well, not really news. Pwnst*r brings up a good point though... not completely sure about the legality but you can sell if for half price and make a bit of money :D

k64
January 27th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Linux has no less hardware support than Vista and Win7. In fact, on my desktop (home built), my Linksys Dual Band Wireless N card is recognized fine, security and all. So was my Creative SoundBlaster Audigy SE sound card. That as well as my ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro - but not without proprietary drivers. I also got up to 600 KB/s wireless speeds in Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04 Alpha 2. In Windows 7, I got less than 80 KB/s speed. Not to mention very slow Win7 performance - and constant error messages popping up on startup. Linux, in contrast, was just fine on my hard drive. That is, until now (the drive is bricking). Now attack me all you want, but in reality, hardware support is becoming more and more available.

And on my Acer Aspire One, everything works. Both of my computers work perfect with Linux.

Mahngiel
January 27th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Linux has no less hardware support than Vista and Win7.

Not necessarily true. Only difference is you don't get plug & play, you get plug & search (& search & search) for drivers

AllRadioisDead
January 27th, 2010, 02:15 AM
The thing that I find funny, is how some users on these forums go through hell trying to get hardware working and yet everyone bashes the "terrible" hardware support of windows.

Frak
January 27th, 2010, 03:03 AM
Personally, the MS EULA is a joke- if I replace my CPU I'm required by some moral olbigation to go out and purchase a new Windows disk? ha!

No you don't?

AllRadioisDead
January 27th, 2010, 03:05 AM

BM
I wasn't aware Microsoft determined your moral obligation.

Frak
January 27th, 2010, 03:07 AM
I wasn't aware Microsoft determined your moral obligation.
Microsoft controls everything about the world, don't ya know?

AllRadioisDead
January 27th, 2010, 03:09 AM
Microsoft controls everything about the world, don't ya know?
How could I forget.:roll:

pwnst*r
January 27th, 2010, 03:23 AM
If he already installed it once and accepted the EULA, then would it be piracy to send you that copy of Win 7? And wouldn't sending it through the mail make it a federal crime- mail fraud or some crap like that?

BM

Sarcasm meter. Broken.

dmizer
January 27th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Just as it is perfectly acceptable for people to leave Ubuntu for Windows or Mac when Ubuntu does not perform for them as expected, it is ALSO perfectly acceptable for people to leave Windows or Mac for Ubuntu if Windows or Mac do not perform as expected.

This forum does not tolerate Windows bashing (though I recognize that it does still happen). This forum will also not tolerate bashing people who discover that Ubuntu works for them.