PDA

View Full Version : Against noise: does it exist some computer cases / tower completely silent?

frenchn00b
January 26th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Hello

Against noise, towers are making too much noise. Is there any particular advice what to buy that has very low db to no noise at all: completely silent. It exists sure good ones, I got few proposals by the shop...(damn I lost this little paper list btw) but completely silent, no noise, that would be a dream!

For a good price / quality, which case (tower preferably) could be advised to be a good deal ?

Happy Tux!

:KS:KS

PurposeOfReason
January 26th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Any case plus sound dampening foam, SSDs or suspended HDDS, and good fans.

rapidog
January 26th, 2010, 10:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce-zRU-54Fw :D

Xbehave
January 26th, 2010, 11:00 PM
underclocked/Low power CPU + big heat sink and no fan or a custom fan (most are much quierter than the standard fan)
no gfx card/get a custom fan for that too.
Thick metal case

szymon_g
January 26th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I build my pc with quiet in mind.
I've choosen a Antec P182 case- a bit expensive, but nice. it's really silent, as long as it's door is closed (unfortunatelly, i've broke it :/). do not forget about choosing good, quiet fans (well... case has some, but i replaced few of them), good heatsink on processor, quiet (passive cooled, if possible) graphic card and, last but not least, quiet PSU.

frenchn00b
January 26th, 2010, 11:17 PM
I heard that the 'cool master' brand cases produce : No single sound. ... is it right?

John.Michael.Kane
January 26th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Silentpc (http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/) might provide some ideas.

szymon_g
January 26th, 2010, 11:25 PM
which model? CM produces decent cases, but some of them are cheap (in bad meaning) and sobme are really good. you have to specify which model you are thinking about.

and when you will choose your case- do not forget, that- if you are using hdd- it should not be connected 'directly' (i.e. with 'raw' screws) to case, there should be an insulation- of course you can buy it in shop, if your case don't have it. And do not forget about good fans- i can recommend Noctua P12- they are really good, but 3 pin only /no software control/

Maheriano
January 26th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Use water cooling instead of air. Problem solved.

PurposeOfReason
January 26th, 2010, 11:41 PM
That still depends on the fin density of rad and fans used.

OffHand
January 26th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Put the whole case on a rubber mat or on rubber feet. Passively cooled graphic card, rubber pins instead of screws for your silent fans, ssd or or special case to cancel out vibration, isolation for case.

there ya go! :popcorn:

k64
January 26th, 2010, 11:58 PM
I suggest you build a new PC and use a liquid CPU cooler as opposed to fans. This way, not only is your PC quiet but you can also overclock to your heart's content.

K.Mandla
January 27th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I have a Pentium laptop that makes no sound. No fans, and the only noise is the faint ticking of the hard drive ...

I used to have a 400Mhz Celeron desktop that had no fan on the power supply and a wacky fork-shaped heat sink on the processor. That one was so quiet I couldn't tell if it was on.

Silent PCs used to be the norm, not something you had to chase after.

handy
January 27th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Silent tower/desktop PCs can be bought, created by owner builder.

Though the rule applies - silence is golden, & you have to have the gold to make the silence. :)

audiomick
January 27th, 2010, 01:32 AM
clean the fans regularly. They collect dust on the leading edges which creates turbulence, which creates noise.

ssam
January 27th, 2010, 01:39 AM
i had a fanless via-epia mini-itx board, now replaced with a beagleboard.

blueshiftoverwatch
January 27th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I heard that the 'cool master' brand cases produce : No single sound. ... is it right?
I have Cooler Master's HAF 932 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160&cm_re=HAF_932-_-11-119-160-_-Product) and it makes what most people would probably consider to be a fair amount of noise. But it also has three 230mm fans and one 140mm fan. Plus a CPU fan, PSU fan, two RAM fans, and two fans of my GPU. But it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I don't know why so many people are obsessed with having a quiet system. I actually enjoy having a some constant background noise. I find that if it's perfectly quiet I can't concentrate on anything.

audiomick
January 27th, 2010, 02:55 AM
I don't know why so many people are obsessed with having a quiet system. I actually enjoy having a some constant background noise. I find that if it's perfectly quiet I can't concentrate on anything.

Different strokes for different folks. A constant noise, or music I don't want to hear, drives me up the wall to the point of wanting to break things...;)

cascade9
January 27th, 2010, 03:05 AM

I wish it was that easy....Long time water cooling user here, and I say that from experience.

Even with a totally passive watercooling system, and a fanless video card, you still have a power supply fan (yes, I know fanless is possible but that has its own problems) HDD noise, CD/DVD drive noise (which I hate so I rip to HDD to watch/listen to anything), and in a lot of cases a general 'electronic' noise. Hard to describe, but it does exist on some hardware, the worst I heard was a ATI 9600XT card....it sounding like it was whistling under any load at all.

*Edit- and pump noise.

Different strokes for different folks. A constant noise, or music I don't want to hear, drives me up the wall to the point of wanting to break things...;)

+1. The only issue is, you make one thing quiet, and then suddenly the next thing sounds sooo loud. :| But I would rather deal with the odd hdd noise than some video card/CPU/power supply fan that sounds like a helicopter taking off ;)

handy
January 27th, 2010, 03:14 AM
You can dump the motherboard (with any attached cards) & PSU into a tank of mineral oil to cool it quietly. Dealing with the HDDs to keep them cool & quiet outside of the oil isn't too hard, & the whole thing can be fun.

Have a look here for some inspiration:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

There are a couple of threads (at least) in the forum here on the oil cooling topic, where people have done it themselves, though puget certainly seem to be leading the way.

3rdalbum
January 27th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Just use Noctua fans for your chassis fan and your CPU cooler fan, and a passive-cooled video card. That'll be as close to silent as you want.

Don't worry about what the other poster said about Noctua fans - they are so quiet that you don't need to run them slower. And they come with two special adapters that run them slower, anyway.

handy
January 27th, 2010, 03:43 AM
I used an expensive Thermaltake GPU cooler on a 6800GT card once. Took me forever to put fiddly thing together, & I didn't use too much or too little thermal paste; even so, that card died a few months later. So I don't feel all that comfortable with GPU copper heat pipe cooling these days.

The graphics card wasn't cheap at the time & neither was the after market cooler, & of course I had no warranty.

pwnst*r
January 27th, 2010, 03:44 AM

Does that = no noise at all?

cascade9
January 27th, 2010, 03:55 AM
I used an expensive Thermaltake GPU cooler on a 6800GT card once. Took me forever to put fiddly thing together, & I didn't use too much or too little thermal paste; even so, that card died a few months later. So I don't feel all that comfortable with GPU copper heat pipe cooling these days.

The graphics card wasn't cheap at the time & neither was the after market cooler, & of course I had no warranty.

Umm..ouch. 6800GTs are hot little cards, I'm not suprised that it dies with a passive cooler. I wouldnt have tried that without some form of extra cooling, like a 'floating' 92/120mm fan over the card. Not silent, but better than the screaming coolers that the 6800GTs came with.

To be honest, I'm not fond of thermal takes coolers myself but how much of that was the cause of your unfortunate card death I dont know.

I've got a long histroy of running passively cooled cards, currently running a 8600GT, before that it was a 6600GT AGP, 5200FX and GF4 MX440. Apart from the 5200, all were factory fanless.

The only one that has got sick is the 5200. It was converted from a standard cooler that was screaming when I got it, and overheating badly. Once modded, it ran for the whole time I used it. But when I shoved it into a computer I was building yesterday, it started artifacting really badly.....I'll have to take the heatsink off and check to see if the thermal paste has dried out or if it really is dieing. I just shoved 'old faithful', the MX440 into the computer and its fine :)

BTW, the 6600GT is still running, and has been pretty much every day since it was bought (mid 2005 IIRC)

stmiller
January 27th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Shuttle PCs are extremely quiet. Look at the Antec P180 or mini P180 case which is quiet as well.

You can find a video card that is passively cooled with only a heat sink (no fan!). Those are silent.

colaho
January 27th, 2010, 05:03 AM
try water cooler~~

handy
January 27th, 2010, 05:09 AM
@cascade9: There is the slightest chance that if you rub over the contacts on the card (the ones that go into the slot on the motherboard) with a pencil rubber, to clean them, you just might fix it.

It's too easy not to do imho. :)

cascade9
January 27th, 2010, 05:22 AM
try water cooler~~

I wonder how many people in thread who have suggested this have actually run watercooling.... :|

@cascade9: There is the slightest chance that if you rub over the contacts on the card (the ones that go into the slot on the motherboard) with a pencil rubber, to clean them, you just might fix it.

It's too easy not to do imho. :)

Yes, I was actually just about to try that. Bit of nasty corrosion on the AGP interface. I wonder if that is from me sweating the the damned thing when I was last playing with it. Stupid corrosive sweat I have :|

Thanks for the tip though :)

PurposeOfReason
January 27th, 2010, 07:29 AM
AFAIK, only two people in this thread have watercooled. Myself and cascade.

Maheriano
January 27th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Is switching to water cooling expensive?

NoaHall
January 27th, 2010, 08:27 PM

Depends. It's not too expensive here, in the UK.

PurposeOfReason
January 27th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Depends what you want out of it and what you define as expensive.

frenchn00b
January 27th, 2010, 11:48 PM
try water cooler~~

here a quote I found about cool and cold, and cool and great :

Just got a new CoolerMaster HAC-V81 to replace my bacicly stock Coolmaster DP5-6I31c , cause it just whistled and whined too much...
And what a cooler!
Went from 45C to 35C!!! and soooooo quiet!!!
Case/Mobo temp 31C - CPU at 35C- that aint bad...
Real quiet at variable speed of ~3500rpm, however runnin it up to max ~5150 and it does take on the ole vacum cleaner whoosh... but at 3500 i can even hear the other boxes in the room ( can't even hear this on with the box closed)

I guess the copper center does help quite a bit! 10C's a big difference!
I did polish up the surface abit with auto rubbing compound as i think polishing helps a little(maybe ~2C), but I use RadioShack HS compound rather than ArticSivler (tried AS and find little difference)

The reviews on this V81 are correct - its a GOOD cooler and quiet.
But believe the complaints about the clip! I did have to custom bend it to get it to fit! It's BIG, but a couple a needle nose can give it a nice custom bend to get into about anywhere.

I Like it - Cool and QUIET!
But there seams to be very little difference between it cooling capacity between HI and Low fan speed settings, but then I can't even get to go above 37C... As the review said "It doesn't lack cooling preformance - and indeed it certainly doesn't... It Cools great!

or what about a rack surrounding any type of tower? that limits the noise serioulsy and protect against fire too, no?

frenchn00b
January 27th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Put the whole case on a rubber mat or on rubber feet. Passively cooled graphic card, rubber pins instead of screws for your silent fans, ssd or or special case to cancel out vibration, isolation for case.

there ya go! :popcorn:

which diameter are your fans? which ref do you use? greetz

llawwehttam
January 27th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Very easy almost 100% silent solution.

Put it in a fish tank and fill it up with unscented mineral oil.

You might want to use a radiator as well though.

( of course this depends on whether you want oil all over you computer)

If you do this DO NOT submerge the HDD / DVD drives or anything with moving parts apart from a few fans ( they help to move the liquid round).

I tried it on an old computer and it worked a dream. Bit messy though.

frenchn00b
January 28th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Very easy almost 100% silent solution.

Put it in a fish tank and fill it up with unscented mineral oil.

You might want to use a radiator as well though.

( of course this depends on whether you want oil all over you computer)

If you do this DO NOT submerge the HDD / DVD drives or anything with moving parts apart from a few fans ( they help to move the liquid round).

I tried it on an old computer and it worked a dream. Bit messy though.

another trick on the same wave length. Place the Server tower into the wc, then plug the server to the ethernet network with http://www.frontierpc.com/ProductImages/Large/11811996.jpg
and that's it. no noise :) :) (works with wifi)
The method is giving slow networked server.

:o:o;):D

frenchn00b
January 28th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Shuttle PCs are extremely quiet. Look at the Antec P180 or mini P180 case which is quiet as well.

You can find a video card that is passively cooled with only a heat sink (no fan!). Those are silent.

which brand of quiet pc towers is probably good ?
http://www.google.com/products?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=iceweasel-a&q=tower+pc+quiet&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=koNhS9_jNI6UmAO56OjVDA&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CCAQrQQwAg

shuttle pc,
NZXT
cool master
antec
... ?

it shall be measured/compared into db sound values, no? but it depends on the fans too :(

cascade9
January 28th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Depends what you want out of it and what you define as expensive.

Also depends on how much work you want to do yourself. A good water cooling block isnt much more than a good heatsink, a good pump shouldnt be too much and as for a radiator use a car heatercore that you can get from a wrecking yard for not much at all.

It will take a bit of engineering though.

Personally, I'd avoid the 'kits' you get, a lot of them are pretty awful. The good ones cost a large chunk more than home engineering it ;)

Mulenmar
January 30th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I have a Pentium laptop that makes no sound. No fans, and the only noise is the faint ticking of the hard drive ...

I used to have a 400Mhz Celeron desktop that had no fan on the power supply and a wacky fork-shaped heat sink on the processor. That one was so quiet I couldn't tell if it was on.

Silent PCs used to be the norm, not something you had to chase after.

Back home, I've got an old Compaq Deskpro with a passively-cooled 366MHz Pentium 2. When the hard drive would actually stay spun down, everything was completely silent -- which was great, because the lid was missing and the machine was four feet from were I sleep. :p Had the thing running as a torrent/ssh server before I yanked the hard drive to test with Xbox modding. :-\"

Gotta love "old" hardware.

keithpeter
January 30th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Hello All

I think the OP needs to specify the performance level of the computer that is needed.

I'm typing this on an IBM T42 laptop with external monitor. Almost silent unless you listen from 3 inches. Stock Karmic. Hibernate does not work (known bug):o

I also have an Aleutia E2 VIA Eden processor powered 500MHz computer with a Gig of ram and an 80Gb mechanical hard drive. No fans at all, but not so good with YouTube. Its running Debian with IceWM.

If you need dual quad core and a few GB of graphics then things could be harder....:P

frenchn00b
January 31st, 2010, 07:15 AM
Back home, I've got an old Compaq Deskpro with a passively-cooled 366MHz Pentium 2. When the hard drive would actually stay spun down, everything was completely silent -- which was great, because the lid was missing and the machine was four feet from were I sleep. :p Had the thing running as a torrent/ssh server before I yanked the hard drive to test with Xbox modding. :-\"

Gotta love "old" hardware.

you meant this one: http://www.coastcomputerrecycling.com/images/compaq_deskpro_sff.jpg

I have one too exactly the same, sure it is not loud, but it is making quite some noise. The fan turns time to time.

But although when the fan is off, it is making quite some noise. Bit much more as a notebook nowadays.

Notebook and compaq_deskpro are still loud :(

EDIT:
Concerning the IBM T42 laptop with external monitor.: those are still loud
sure that compared to a pentium IV notebook those T42 are silent, but it is still makign some noise ... still too much db for the compaq_deskpro and T42

It could be nice to talk more accurately :
How much db (sound fixed value) are giving those devices?

Quiet ok, but how much db ? High and high you know, hte long discuss. How to define it :)

mvidarus
February 4th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Just get any case that can receive a 120mm fan in the back, as my Antec Three Hundred does. Then, install a passive cooler on the CPU. I have a Scythe Ninja. It comes with a fan but the case fan will be enough since it's right next to the cooler, directly drawing its heat to the outside. Having a relatively cool CPU like my Intel E5200 also helps.

Then, you should make sure that the fan is not spinning too fast. The fans that came with the Antec (of which I only use the smaller 120mm one) have a three speed switch, but since even the lower speed is audible I set it to the medium speed (which I think is 1430rpm), and made some slits on the plug that connects to the PSU plugs, enabling it to connect in reverse. This lowers the speed making it virtually inaudible.

Now, the hard drive. My Seagate ST3500320as is very quiet in what concerns the spinning sound, but it did make some irritating clicks due to the "parking" of the heads or whatever. I eliminated this sound by suspending the hard drive on elastic wires. It can be suspended in any position, the only concern in doing this is that it should be put on a place where there is some air flow (i.e. where the air enters the case). Another option is to use SSD hard disks which are totally noiseless and create no heat (but are still quite expensive).

Passive graphics cards are common, but noiseless ones with good 3d performance are not so common. I advise Vapor-X technology if performance is required. The fans of my Radeon HD 4850 Vapor-X are definitely audible, but they don't spin unless I am playing a 3-d game, which I rarely do (and don't even mind the noise then).

This card does create some extra heat compared with weaker ones, so I installed a fan on the side, blowing air out. It's a 120mm, 1200rpm fan, which I "reverse-plugged" as in the other one.

With this, I have three fans in my computer (counting with the PSU fan), blowing air out. I covered the top opening where Antec's 140mm fan would be, this makes all the air enter the case through the front of the case, which has a mesh to prevent dust from coming in.

The logical place to put the hard drive would be on the 3.5 inch bays the case has in the front, where the air would pass through, but instead I suspended the disk on elastic wires which pass on the mounting holes of the 5 1/4 cd-rom bays on the top. To create some air flow here I had to remove a cd-rom bay cover. Alternatively, I could have assembled it on the 3.5 inch bays, but on the vertical position. Or I could have used a case that has 5 1/4 bays from top to bottom, like the NOX Coolbay.

This leaves the PSU as the main cause of noise in my computer. See here for a list of recommended power supplies: http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs . I have a Corsair VX450W which is not bad. It becomes inaudible if there a minimum of ambient noise.

samantha_
February 4th, 2010, 05:30 AM
I used to (and still have) a dual CPU retired workstation. The guy who owned this rig before me did some serious overclocking to it, and as a result, he put in an amazing liquid cooling system. He wasn't nice enough to give me the graphics card he used, and I really didnt see a use for another one, so I returned everything to the default clock values, and left the intel video card the way it was. In the summer (as it gets quite hot inside/outside), i simply turn off one of the CPUS (theirs a switch on the motherboard) and the top of the workstation instantly becomes a chill mat for my feet ;) (the cooling pipes were right at the top of the case....)

markp1989
February 4th, 2010, 12:59 PM
check out here , there very clever.

http://www.silentpcreview.com

main points:
- ssd or suspended/soft mount hard drive
- big heat sink with large slow fan (or water cooling with a quiet pump and an over sized radiator if you can afford it)
- if your motherboard supports it use have pwm fans so they are slow at idle and fast at full speed.
- bigger fans move more air at slow rotation then small fans do , so they are usualy quieter
- remove obstructions in air flow to reduce turblance , remove fan grills if possible
- avoid small fans at all costs. they are normaly fast and winey and move almost no air

Martiini
February 6th, 2010, 04:24 PM
some links of silent PC-s and producers

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3442#
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/D510MO/D510MO-overview.htm
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=F5B92698EC7C42929A8B06FA2D4FF6B9&menu-id=products
http://hothardware.com/Articles/Beyond-Atom-Exploring-Higher-Performance-ITX-Solutions/
http://hothardware.com/Tags/atom.aspx
http://www.transtec.co.uk/GB/E?mod=prod&name=SY710MCA45-A
http://www.cappuccinopc.com/solutions/fanless.asp
http://www.axiomtek.com.tw/
http://www.silentpcreview.com/lenovo-q110
http://www.silentpcreview.com/asus-eeebox-ion
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39694
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Intel_D945GSEJT_with_Morex_T1610
http://global.shuttle.com/product_detail.jsp?PLLI=327&PI=175
http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&maincat_no=729&prod_no=1555
http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=100033&lang=en
http://www.aleutia.com/products/t1
http://www.stealthcomputer.com/pb/index.php?comp=WPC500F
http://www.littlepc.com/products_fanless.htm
http://www.minimotherboard.com/modding/fanless-mini-itx-asus-at3n7a-i/
http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/htpccases/hfx-micro-bundle
http://atechfabrication.com/products/mini_client_2500.htm
http://www.ipcmax.com/index.php?cPath=33_280
http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=fanless_mcubed_pc.html
http://embedded-computing.com/news/db?5727
http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/news/ynCcl5qSwpqa/Fanless_PC_van_Ttec/
http://www.idotpc.com/thestore/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=23
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/embedded/ProductDetail.jsp?productLine=1&id=950&tabs=1
http://www.orbitmicro.com/global/ionitx-a-u-p-11211.html
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1675/msi_im_945gse_a_mini_itx_fanless_atom_motherboard/index.html
http://hothardware.com/Tags/itx.aspx
http://www.avalue.com.tw/products/EMX-945GSE.cfm
http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=2
http://www.bcmcom.com/bcm_products.htm#nanoITX
http://www.e-itx.com/
http://itxfans.org/
http://www.hfx.at/
http://www.engadget.com/tag/nano-ITX/
http://open-pc.com/
http://www.habeyusa.com/products_show.php?id=265#Menu=ChildMenu112/
http://www.habeyusa.com/products_show.php?id=279#Menu=ChildMenu0
http://www.portwell.com/products/detail.asp?CUSTCHAR1=WEBS-3330
http://www.superlogics.com/industrial-computers/rack-mount-pc-computer/SL-1U-AT-945GSE-LA/265-3412.htm
http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/

thelucster
February 13th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I built a desktop PC a couple of years ago that is 'virtually' silent. All I did was replace the stock CPU cooler with a Zalman one, and replace the PSU with a quieter (and better quality) one. I don't have any case fans so no noise there, and the GPU fan only comes on when I play games.

Specs:
ASUS Barebones PC (case + motherboard)
Core 2 Duo E4400 (2ghz)
4GB RAM
500GB + 80GB SATA 7,200rpm drive
Nvidia 9600GSO