PDA

View Full Version : block private calls on land line

sudoer541
January 26th, 2010, 07:47 PM
On my land line phone, I receiver about 10-15 telemarketing calls per day and all their phone numbers are hidden.

How can I block private calls?
On my phone I have a "block calls feature" but it only blocks callers who show their caller ID.

earthpigg
January 26th, 2010, 07:51 PM
have you called your telephone service provider about this?

does canada have something similar to the US Do Not Call list?

oldsoundguy
January 26th, 2010, 07:59 PM
check with your provider. You may be able to activate a "block anonymous caller" feature. I use a VoIP carrier and they offer that.

(For those reading this with the same problem .. if you are in the US, enroll in the national "Do Not Call" list.)

I also use an attachment called "Tele-Zapper" (available at Radio Shack and on eBay) that generates a "this number is not in service" tone that is read by computer dialers. Takes a while but, eventually the calls will decrease. (Let those "unknown" calls or even unknown callers that display numbers go through to the Tele-Zapper! without picking up!)

cariboo
January 26th, 2010, 08:19 PM
We do have a do not call list here in Canada, it is available here (https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/index-eng). Most of telemarketer calls I get on my fax line only, do usually display a phone number, but it isn't registered to a particular phone. I've tried calling them back, because it is usually an 800 number, but never get an answer.

oldsoundguy
January 26th, 2010, 08:31 PM
My VoIP provider allows me to enter 100 INDIVIDUAL numbers to block. For those that ignore the US DNC, (and there are many as the calls do not originate IN the US) .. I plug the number that shows up as their spoofed number and miraculously, no more calls about my credit card (I don't OWE any credit card companies!) or "mechanical" insurance for my vehicle or to re-mortgage my house (I live in an apartment).

soni1770
January 26th, 2010, 08:53 PM
don't block them!!

i always pick up and say,

"your call is important to us, please hold the line,"

and set the phone beside the radio...

after 30sec i pick up and say,

" you are number 12 in the queue, please hold the line"

then i just leave them.

sweet.

Techsnap
January 26th, 2010, 08:59 PM
don't block them!!

then i just leave them.

sweet.

Hehe, I've done that before.

chewearn
January 26th, 2010, 09:10 PM
My solution for annoying telemarketers is to activate my phone's answering machine.

When they called, they got "Please leave a message BEEP". Periodically, I check the machine and delete the accumulated silence tracks recorded (they don't border to actually leave a message, hehe).

JohnFH
January 26th, 2010, 09:58 PM
If you can't get rid of them, then have some fun with them. Google "Tom Mabe" for ideas - hilarious stuff!

One I've used is to say that you've got something in the oven and you'll just go turn it off, then put the phone on mute and just listen in. Sometimes I give completely random answers or ask completely random questions. Some telemarketing people are under orders not to put the phone down on anyone - it's always the person being called that has to hang up. In that case, just talk nonsense and see how long they last. It's great fun.

Dr. C
January 26th, 2010, 10:58 PM
If you can't get rid of them, then have some fun with them. Google "Tom Mabe" for ideas - hilarious stuff!

One I've used is to say that you've got something in the oven and you'll just go turn it off, then put the phone on mute and just listen in. Sometimes I give completely random answers or ask completely random questions. Some telemarketing people are under orders not to put the phone down on anyone - it's always the person being called that has to hang up. In that case, just talk nonsense and see how long they last. It's great fun.

A very simple solution is a phone with both speaker-phone and hold. Place the telemarketer on speaker-phone, hang up the receiver (the line is still active) then place them on hold. Then return to whatever one was doing before.

The basic principle here is to waste as much of the time and money of the telemarketing company as possible without wasting any of one's own valuable time in the process.

Dayofswords
January 26th, 2010, 11:06 PM
i know qwest has this feature where if a hidden number calls you, they have to identify themselves before you start the call

it may happen like this

Telemarketer:Dialing....
phone company: "you are calling from a hidden number, please identify yourself before continuing"
Telemarketer:"uhhhh"
YOU:*phone rings*
phone company -> you: a hidden caller identifys themselves as "uhhhhh", if you wish to not awnser, hang up"
YOU: hell no *slams phone*

earthpigg
January 27th, 2010, 01:18 AM
don't block them!!

then i just leave them.

sweet.

thats actually a pretty awesome idea. however, i would modify it. the employee calling you gets paid, so his time with you costs the company calling some money. ask the telemarketer to wait for 5 minutes. then, ask them to wait for another 5 minutes. rinse, repeat, for as long as you feel like.

sudoer541
January 27th, 2010, 06:22 AM
It would be great if my phone had a "ignore private caller" feature.
I heard there is a number I can dial to reveal a private caller, I think its *57?
But I think to use that service, I must pay for it every month even if I dont use it.

lisati
January 27th, 2010, 06:27 AM
If you don't mind the possibility of missing calls you'd like to take, why not hook up a fax machine or some such device that will blast their ears with "that <blankety blank> screech"?

cariboo
January 27th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Most of the telemarketers here use auto-dialers, they wait until someone picks up before saying anything, and if it's a fax machine the dialer doesn't transfer the call, so unfortunately that doesn't work.

HappinessNow
January 27th, 2010, 08:09 AM
On my land line phone, I receiver about 10-15 telemarketing calls per day and all their phone numbers are hidden.

How can I block private calls?
On my phone I have a "block calls feature" but it only blocks callers who show their caller ID.You could just use Google Voice and screen those calls out.

sudoer541
January 28th, 2010, 01:00 AM
any other ideas?