PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] trying yet again to get 9.10 up and running

mamboze
January 26th, 2010, 07:41 PM
This is my second thread in a week to try and get full functionality with 9.10. My earlier thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1385124

has stalled. And I've been unable to get any audio.

So I thought a clean install would be the way to go (previously, I had done a 9.04 -> 9.10 upgrade, big mistake!!).

I downloaded the 9.10 iso, did a md5 check, all OK. But the CD will not boot on start up.

I have a) checked BIOS and ensured CDROM is the initial boot device
b) checked that on my machine the DVD drive is master and the CDROM drive is slave.

So now I am stuck with 9.10 which doesn't work properly.

I'm now thinking about erasing the hard disk and starting completely afresh (i've backedup on a USB drive all required files).

A couple of questions tho, will the CD boot with a clean hard drive? and do I have the correct iso?

Maybe somebody can help. As mentioned in my previous thread I've been using Ubuntu since 7.04 and have had no problems at all with upgrades or clean installs. I would go back to 9.04 (of fond memory) if I had a chance.

Any help gratefully received, believe me.

earthpigg
January 26th, 2010, 07:53 PM
A couple of questions tho, will the CD boot with a clean hard drive? and do I have the correct iso?

yes, and i don't know. what is the exact file name of the .iso?

audiomick
January 26th, 2010, 08:04 PM
But the CD will not boot on start up. ...

.....will the CD boot with a clean hard drive?

It will boot with a clean drive, even with no drive, but cleaning the drive wont solve the problem your have booting from CD.

mamboze
January 27th, 2010, 12:55 AM
The 9.10 iso is ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso,

and also I have a 9.04 iso, ubuntu-9.04-desktop-i386.iso. Both the DVD and CDROM are recognized by nautilus which lists both iso's when they are in the drives.

I'm happy to do a clean install to get 9.10 (or even 9.04) running per specs.

mamboze
January 27th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Thanks guys, I forgot to add

@automick

It will boot with a clean drive, even with no drive, but cleaning the drive wont solve the problem your have booting from CD.

I'm not sure what to do then. the BIOS setting seems OK. and BIOS seems to recognize the drives, both light up when booting but the process goes straight tbru to GRUB and the hard disk