PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] SKype, Webcam does not work

sushilsc
January 26th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Hi,

I have Ubuntu 9.10 installed on my dv2000 hp latpop. I also installed the Beta version of Skype. But when I test webcam in skype the light of the webcam glows but I do not see image on the test screen. the test screen remains back. Could someone suggest what could be the problem and a possible solution?

PS: The webcam works fine with "Cheese".

Thanks a lot.
with best regards,
sushil

phillw
January 26th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Hi, skype are mindful of issues with Linux in general. Some Web-cams work okay, for others there are problems. Using the beta will keep you with the latest one.

The list of various web-cams and how they 'get-on' can be found over here --> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SkypeWebCams

Along with a good set of general resources to help get you going.

Regards,

Phill.

sushilsc
January 26th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the information. From where I can download the older version of skype?? I tried but did not find the weblink.

thank a lot.
with best regards,
sushil

Funkey Monkey
January 28th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Hi sushilsc,

Try the following:
1) Open Skype > Options
2) Go the Video Devices section
3) Ensure that the "Enable Skype Video" box is ticked.
4) Then click on the "Test" button

I am able to "see" myself on my webcam

gradinaruvasile
January 28th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the information. From where I can download the older version of skype?? I tried but did not find the weblink.

thank a lot.
with best regards,
sushil

Do not download older versions - the beta is not really a beta - i use the 2.1 betas and had no problem with them whatsoever (on 6 computers, different hardware and Ubuntu versions) - the new ones have better sound quality, more features.

There is a workaround to the webcam issue - just launch skype like this:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

in a terminal. If works, modify the menu entry too with the menu editor.