PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sound for multiple users?

bootdoc
January 26th, 2010, 04:05 PM
How do you get sound working for multiple users? It seems that only the first logged in user can use the sound card. I removed pulse because it is a PITA and installed esound. At least it is reliable.

ronocdh
January 26th, 2010, 07:13 PM
How do you get sound working for multiple users? It seems that only the first logged in user can use the sound card. I removed pulse because it is a PITA and installed esound. At least it is reliable.
Pulse allows for what you want. I'd recommend you stick with Pulse and tinker with that.

stelekpl
February 3rd, 2010, 08:58 AM
I have a similar problem. The first user that logs in AND uses the sound (eg. by opening YouTube in Firefox) locks the soundcard and the next user does not get any audio. There's no error or anything - simply no sound... It's really problematic, since we have to switch active users in order to "clean up" and get the sound in the session that we need it...

I did not try removing PulseAudio. Can it really help? And does it break anything?

Daan
April 3rd, 2010, 01:27 AM
Pulse allows for what you want.

I want that too. Can you tell us how please? Or anyone else?

Daan
April 11th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I want that too. Can you tell us how please? Or anyone else?

The solution is here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9108837#post9108837 .