PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.10: Gnome icons desappeared after updating

mtps37
January 26th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Hello.

It does some time, without no apparent reason, disappeared to me the icons that it had formed in the notification area of the top bar. For example the one of cotrol of volume, the one of the applet of connections or the one of the state of the battery of the notebook.

After giving many returns, I thought that reinstalling Ubuntu was the best choice. I did it and everything returned to normality.

Then, I thought in updating the system. After doing it, I am in the same situation than before that. I have verified the following things:
- The notification area exists in the top bar.
- The 3 mentioned programs load when initiating the session, along with other many more, according to comes formed in the programs of beginning of session (in fact their proccesses appear in the system monitor).
- In spite of being loaded in memory, they do not work. For example I do not have networking; it does not warn either to me if the battery is low of load nor the Ubuntu updates.
- The icon of the battery is configured so that it always appears (in the energy preferences). Nor even so it leaves.
- If I execute these programs directly by myself, they appear in the notification area and begin to work. Right now I have the icons in the writing-desk to execute them and to be able to work with the computer.

Finally it passes something strange that has fly to me: I cannot unlock the safety ring that appears in certain programs, like that is to manage the users. If I give the button to do it does not pass it absolutely anything. In that cases, I have to open a root terminal by means a sudo command.

Somebody knows something on this problem?

Thanks.

byStanderone
January 26th, 2010, 02:40 PM
...perhaps you should first focus your search on 'user permission issues'...seems that is your main problem at the moment.