PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Persuade Commercial Vendors.....

jadhav333
January 26th, 2010, 01:20 PM
I believe, one of the main reasons that many users tend not to opt for Linux, has got nothing much to do, whether Linux or Windows is a better OS.

More often than not it is the applications to which a user is loyal or dependent. If the same (and not similar) application was available for Linux, I am positive many would migrate to Linux as a viable OS.

Even if there are compatible applications available, the loyalty for existing apps, the widespread support base, the cost of migrating to a new app. and changing preset workflow pipelines, forces the user to stick to Windows.

The question is:

What can we do to persuade the Commercial Vendors to develop/port (the now windows only) apps to be native Linux compatible??

PS: Should this post be in some other category? In that case, Mods, pls feel free to move. Thanks.

SuperSonic4
January 26th, 2010, 01:26 PM
In the commerical world everything is dominated by money. They'd have to sell enough copies to recoup the development costs and then make a profit.

Ideally a public beta or something to see how many users use it.

The main issue is that Linux users mostly like free software (as in speech and as in beer) and could not abide by the licences imposed

jadhav333
January 26th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Professional softwares such as Maya, Houdini (I am a 3d Artist :) is available for Linux and is used by a lot of companies on Linux.

I am sure there are users (now tied down with Windows) who would readily use licensed limited softwares. The Vendors could even make lite versions available free of cost for the other Linux users.. :)