PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu logo and capital letters

stigb
January 26th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Am I the only one who gets slightly annoyed that the Ubuntu logo does not obey syntax rules and features the name "Ubuntu" starting with a lower-case u?

John Bean
January 26th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Probably ;-)

Check the definition of a logo, it doesn't usually want or need "syntax rules"...

Paqman
January 26th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Logos are graphics, dude. You must be brimming with rage at the iPod though.

speedwell68
January 26th, 2010, 11:15 AM

:lol:

stigb
January 26th, 2010, 11:25 AM

Hm, maybe I should... NERD RAGE

pastalavista
January 26th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Am I the only one who gets slightly annoyed that the Ubuntu logo does not obey syntax rules and features the name "Ubuntu" starting with a lower-case u?

then I guess you wouldn't like e.e. cummings (http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/as-freedom-is-a-breakfastfood/)

Paqman
January 26th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Hm, maybe I should... NERD RAGE

I think I might join you actually. Spelling it iPod/iPhone is moronic twaddle from the turbodweebs in Apple's marketing department. Ipod or Iphone is a bit more grown up, IMO.

pastalavista
January 26th, 2010, 11:46 AM
When they write about it (http://www.ubuntu.com/), they use proper syntax.

samh785
January 26th, 2010, 02:02 PM
I think I might join you actually. Spelling it iPod/iPhone is moronic twaddle from the turbodweebs in Apple's marketing department. Ipod or Iphone is a bit more grown up, IMO.
It's obviously a secret message that indicates the "Pod" is more important than you "i". ;)

stigb
January 26th, 2010, 04:29 PM
It's actually a little ironic in the case of Ubuntu, because Linux cares about the capitalization of filenames while Windows don't.

CharlesA
January 26th, 2010, 04:31 PM
It's actually a little ironic in the case of Ubuntu, because Linux cares about the capitalization of filenames while Windows don't.

And your point being?

dmizer
January 26th, 2010, 04:36 PM

It's a choice. Just like it was your choice not to capitalize your screen name stigb, which is also a proper noun just like Ubuntu is. :)

stigb
January 26th, 2010, 04:44 PM
And your point being?

Being that the two files "ubuntu" and "Ubuntu" might be anything and not related at all because Linux makes a clear distinction based on the case of the letters.

If you think I am grumpy, I am not, just bored :D

John Bean
January 26th, 2010, 05:12 PM
It's a choice. Just like it was your choice not to capitalize your screen name stigb, which is also a proper noun just like Ubuntu is. :)

Yup, compounded by the capitalisation of "avatar" in "stigb's Avatar". Nice unintentional irony ;-)

People who live in glass houses... yada, yada.

doas777
January 26th, 2010, 05:14 PM
must refer to the instance instead of the class.
or perhaps ubuntu is a method in the class Linux:: Debian

rapidog
January 26th, 2010, 05:34 PM

LoL

grief -l
January 26th, 2010, 06:06 PM
It's spelled that way in isiXhosa. You're probably just pissed off because seven eights of the world you live in write and speak languages other than English.

Gabe

RabbitWho
January 26th, 2010, 06:36 PM
It's not lower case, it's an upper-case u, it's just set to be smaller than the other letters. Yes, the uppercase letters of that font are very thick, that why it's the same thickness as the lowercase letters even though it's at a smaller setting.

Anyway I love the writing

i think the uunu pastern is soooooo gorgeous. Good typography excites me. (not sexually...)

saulgoode
January 26th, 2010, 09:03 PM
They had no choice, the font they used (http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/x11/ttf-ubuntu-title) has no uppercase letters.

RabbitWho
January 26th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Surely the font was made specifically for ubuntu and therefore it was a choice?

The Toxic Mite
January 26th, 2010, 09:38 PM
then I guess you wouldn't like e.e. cummings (http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/as-freedom-is-a-breakfastfood/)

and k.d. lang ;)

Chronon
January 26th, 2010, 09:41 PM

says someone with a username that begins with a lowercase letter.

The Toxic Mite
January 26th, 2010, 09:42 PM
says someone with a username that begins with a lowercase letter.

this^^

chris4585
January 26th, 2010, 09:52 PM
You will see it in lower case because its A) Graphic B) the font has no capital letters.....

RabbitWho
January 26th, 2010, 09:55 PM
well done guys, we're only on page 3 and you can't read 2 pages to find out what you've said has already been said, the next 5 pages will be more users writing the same thing over and over again after only reading the first post.

coolbrook
January 26th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I don't mind the ubuntu 'wordmark' being lowercase. I like my screen name in small letters. I don't think the first letter of my given name is any more important than the rest.