PDA

View Full Version : Free Software Foundation credit card

blueshiftoverwatch
January 26th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Apparently the Free Software Foundation has a deal with Visa. If you sign up for one of their cards through the affiliate program, 3% of every purchase made gets donated to the FSF. In addition to a $50 donation as soon as you open up the card.

http://www.cardpartner.com/app/fsf

Was anyone else thinking of getting one?

MaxIBoy
January 26th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I hope they keep that going long term, as maybe a few years from now when my current one expires, that looks like something I would want to do.

Psumi
January 26th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I'll get one as soon as I can pay 5 USD a year for them. (How much I paid for my debit card before I got rid of it, not that I'd use it every month.)

RiceMonster
January 26th, 2010, 07:04 AM
What a silly idea

If you want to donate, just donate

user1397
January 26th, 2010, 07:20 AM
as I don't see myself ever getting a credit card, no.

Dr. C
January 26th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Another option is needed on this poll: I do not live in the United States since you need a US address to apply for this credit card.

frenchn00b
January 26th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Apparently the Free Software Foundation has a deal with Visa. If you sign up for one of their cards through the affiliate program, 3% of every purchase made gets donated to the FSF. In addition to a $50 donation as soon as you open up the card.

http://www.cardpartner.com/app/fsf

Was anyone else thinking of getting one?

Let's install Debian or Ubuntu on those cards :) hi hi

23meg
January 26th, 2010, 05:11 PM
What a silly idea

If you want to donate, just donate

Right, a new way to donate, especially one that doesn't quite fit the "FSF hates money!!1" stigma? What a silly idea!

If you want the card, just get the card.

blueshiftoverwatch
January 26th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Another option is needed on this poll: I do not live in the United States since you need a US address to apply for this credit card.
That would be included under "I'm not getting it".

What a silly idea!
Why is it a silly idea? In this day in age it's almost a necessity to have a credit card. So, if you were going to get a credit card anyway why not get one that also gives a percentage of all your purchases to a good cause? It's not any more work. You just buy the stuff you were going to buy anyway and they take care of the rest.

Sunflower1970
January 26th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Hm. I'm going to keep this in mind. Husband is looking for a new credit card. He's getting ready to close his since his APR is 25%, and this one, after the 6 mo intro rate is 11.5%. Much better.

MaindotC
January 26th, 2010, 07:23 PM
The world would be a much better place under the idea of abundance instead of money, but that's never going to happen so I'll apply for one. Unfortunately I sincerely doubt they'll lend me one with my credit rating so perhaps just a debit card would do.

Dr. C
January 26th, 2010, 07:31 PM
That would be included under "I'm not getting it".

And be placed in the same category as those who choose not to get it. This poll is fundamentally flawed and could lead a casual reader to believe that everyone who does not live in the US does not support the FSF. When one considers that this poll is placed in an international forum for a GNU / Linux distribution this is a serious concern.

23meg
January 26th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Why is it a silly idea?

I was essentially questioning that same point through irony, which you missed.

blueshiftoverwatch
January 26th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I was essentially questioning that same point through irony, which you missed.
Oh, I didn't catch that until I re-read the post.

And be placed in the same category as those who choose not to get it. This poll is fundamentally flawed and could lead a casual reader to believe that everyone who does not live in the US does not support the FSF. When one considers that this poll is placed in an international forum for a GNU / Linux distribution this is a serious concern.
I just wanted to keep the poll simple instead of there being 10,000 options.

Dr. C
January 26th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I just wanted to keep the poll simple instead of there being 10,000 options.

Fair enough. But four options as follows would do the trick

1) I have or I am getting the credit card.
2) I can get the credit card, but I am not getting it.
3) I can get the credit card, but I am not sure.
4) I can't get the credit card.

It is fair to say that the overwhelming majority of forum members fall into category 4. By ignoring the overwhelming majority of forum members the poll becomes at best meaningless and at worst misleading.

thatguruguy
January 26th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Really?

SuperSonic4
January 26th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Fair enough. But four options as follows would do the trick

1) I have or I am getting the credit card.
2) I can get the credit card, but I am not getting it.
3) I can get the credit card, but I am not sure.
4) I can't get the credit card.

It is fair to say that the overwhelming majority of forum members fall into category 4. By ignoring the overwhelming majority of forum members the poll becomes at best meaningless and at worst misleading.

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive/phd012010s.gif (http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php?f=1271)

(c) - Jorge Cham @ PHD comics

Just like every other poll then

Like you, I'd be option 4 but I don't bother with credit cards. If it ain't mine to spend it shouldn't be spent by me

BigSilly
January 26th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Crikey. What will the FSF do with all that money? :shock: