PDA

View Full Version : wireless signal strenght as compared to windows

mamamia88
January 26th, 2010, 05:46 AM
anyone else only get about 2/3 of the signal strength from their wireless networks on ubuntu?

MasterNetra
January 26th, 2010, 06:21 AM
anyone else only get about 2/3 of the signal strength from their wireless networks on ubuntu?

Maybe with the BCM Driver in play, but when I use the STA I usually get equivalent or better.

Psumi
January 26th, 2010, 06:34 AM
My t41 laptop can connect to a iMac (OSX) that shares its internet connection via wifi... on windows.

But on ubuntu, it can't, the signal is too weak, and I can't input information manually, such as the ESSID and disabling IEEE 802.11x security (as that's too complicated for wicd and network manager apparently.)

Disabling the IEEE 802.11x security is how Windows can get onto the iMac shared internet.

Xbehave
January 26th, 2010, 07:16 AM
The meters usually give a pretty meaningless scale, the power of the signal sent/recived will always be the same, so unless the driver is doing something hideously wrong any test will give you the same bandwidth & packet drop rate on both.

chessnerd
January 26th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I have noticed this on Ubuntu. Not just with the meter, but with trying to view webpages. Someone suggested backporting drivers and that worked for my laptop. NDISWrapper also works for some people.

You could try one of those.

k64
January 26th, 2010, 08:22 AM
For the record: I get LESS signal in Windows 7 than I do in Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 2.

HangukMiguk
January 26th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I have stronger connections and speeds with Linux Mint using NDISwrapper than I ever did with Vista.

k64
January 26th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I have stronger connections and speeds with Linux Mint using NDISwrapper than I ever did with Vista.

Agreed, only in my case it's Ubuntu versus Windows 7, and Ubuntu wins out. One more difference: My Linksys WMP600N wireless network adapter (PCI 802.11N Dual-Band) works out of the box, no NDISWrapper required.

FuturePilot
January 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM
They're the same for me.

speedwell68
January 26th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Both my laptop and netbook give nearly 100% signal anywhere in the house. My netbook can pick up the wifi at work halfway across the carpark, no one can get signal as far as I can, the people at work with Windows laptop lose signal about 30 feet before me.

Arthur_D
January 26th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I have more drop-outs in Windows XP than in Ubuntu. So for me, Ubuntu is for the better (in many other aspects as well, I can assure you!) :)