PDA

View Full Version : So I stopped by system 76 today.

isantop
January 26th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Like, the real life, in person, building, and I have to say, I had a great time.

The bus rides there were a bit obnoxious, but it turns out that System 76 is only about 20 minutes from my house!

SO I stopped by, and picked up some free stickers, without even having to pay postage. Talk about free!

So, has anyone else had an exceedingly good experience with System 76? I'm not saying this like I don't expect to find anyone (I'm sure there are plenty!) but I'm just curious as to other acts of kindness being shown by small, independent (and for me, local!) businesses.

By the way, this may be in the wrong category. If so, an admin/mod should feel free to move it around.

blueshiftoverwatch
January 26th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I was considering buying a System 76 computer. But I'm kind of OCD about certain things being exactly the way I want them and ended up building my own from scratch. But, from what I've seen they seem to be competitively priced with what the other major retailers are selling pre-built PC's for.

cguy
January 26th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Do their laptops look as ugly in real life as they do on their site?

Giant Speck
January 26th, 2010, 01:16 PM
System 76's laptops are awfully pricey for laptops that have a cost-free operating system installed on them...

pwnst*r
January 26th, 2010, 01:56 PM
They didn't give you free hardware? What a rip off.

DoctorMO
January 26th, 2010, 01:57 PM
My System76 machine is a very nice machine, cost me $1k two years ago and the company has been very nice to me, both in support and with a discount.

Only a shame that the computer dies every so often from a USB power problem and will continue to go into an unbootable loop of powering on and off until all usb devices are unplugged.

Lost work and ruined my assurance in System76's quality control. But then I think the company was probably victim to bad hardware/bios/something.

samh785
January 26th, 2010, 01:59 PM
System 76's laptops are awfully pricey for laptops that have a cost-free operating system installed on them...
In my experience small businesses are more expensive than large chains because they cannot utilize the cost reduction of the mass ordering of big companies like best buy, walmart, etc.

3rdalbum
January 26th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Shuttle is working on a standard set of motherboards, components and cases for laptops - so expect the prices of laptops by System76 and smaller OEMs to decrease some time in the future.

Psumi
January 26th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Shuttle is working on a standard set of motherboards, components and cases for laptops - so expect the prices of laptops by System76 and smaller OEMs to decrease some time in the future.

Define... "some time" :|

I don't buy online anyway, so it doesn't matter, but... yeah.

SuperSonic4
January 26th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Define... "some time" :|

I don't buy online anyway, so it doesn't matter, but... yeah.

The same time when it's actually Linux' year :p

pwnst*r
January 26th, 2010, 02:40 PM
My System76 machine is a very nice machine, cost me $1k two years ago and the company has been very nice to me, both in support and with a discount.

Only a shame that the computer dies every so often from a USB power problem and will continue to go into an unbootable loop of powering on and off until all usb devices are unplugged.

Lost work and ruined my assurance in System76's quality control. But then I think the company was probably victim to bad hardware/bios/something.

$1k? Sounds pretty reliable too!

Psumi
January 26th, 2010, 02:43 PM
$1k? Sounds pretty reliable too!

lol'd