PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a new language

Magical Tiger
January 26th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I am looking for a new language to learn but I don't know which one best suits my needs. Any help would be appreciated.

I currently use Java a lot so if the syntax is similar, that would be a plus.
I want it to be interpretive, like Ruby and Python, so I can quickly make programs. It would be cool if the code made interpretively could be stored into a file for later use.
I would like it to be able to be compiled into binary for maximum optimization.
I don't know how to call it but I want to be able to develop in some sort of IDE so that I can debug easily as in Java.
Finally, I would like it to be object-oriented but thats probably a given but also relatively popular so that I can know that I can get support and that it will continue to grow.
Thanks.

Freckletoe
January 26th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I would definitely say python because it fits all of the criteria that you listed. I would suggest NetBeans as an IDE for it because it has a debugger and is very useful http://netbeans.org/

Magical Tiger
January 26th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Thats great, I kinda started looking into Python and I already use Netbeans for Java and have the Python plugin installed, so I'll try it thanks.
For anyone else reading this, more replies would be good as I am still considering.
Also, I forgot to say but it needs to run on at least Windows and Linux, preferably more. This functionality is included in Python for anyone else reading this thread.

Freckletoe
January 26th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I would also check out Dive Into Python, it's a free e-book, and it covers the basics of what you need to know.

Axos
January 26th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Definitely Python. The only question is version 2 or 3. Personally, I use 3 but I think I'm the only person who does. :D

myrtle1908
January 26th, 2010, 01:57 AM
One vote for Perl. Whilst not OO (though it can be ... well sort of), it is very powerful and you can get things done very quickly. A fine scripting language.

Python is likely to drive you insane with its werido syntax and constructs and lack of semicolons :)

To quote one John Krahn ...

"use Perl;
program
fulfillment"

napsy
January 26th, 2010, 01:58 AM
It depends what you're trying to do. Use Haskell for hardcore computer science, python for web development prolog/lisp for AI programming, c/go for system programming.

Magical Tiger
January 26th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I think I want to use Python and I want to use 3.0 since I don't have any existing programs, but could someone tell me how to use 3.0. I installed it from the repos but I don't know how to use it.

Can+~
January 26th, 2010, 03:54 AM
I think I want to use Python and I want to use 3.0 since I don't have any existing programs, but could someone tell me how to use 3.0. I installed it from the repos but I don't know how to use it.

:~$ python3
Python 3.1.1+ (r311:74480, Nov 2 2009, 15:45:00)
[GCC 4.4.1] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>

:~$ python3 helloworld.py
Hello World!

TheStatsMan
January 26th, 2010, 05:48 AM
One vote for Perl. Whilst not OO (though it can be ... well sort of), it is very powerful and you can get things done very quickly. A fine scripting language.

Python is likely to drive you insane with its werido syntax and constructs and lack of semicolons :)

To quote one John Krahn ...

"use Perl;
program
fulfillment"

Have a read of this

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3882

nvteighen
January 26th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Python suits all your criteria. I would go for Python 2.6 (or 2.5 if you happen to be in Debian...), as Python 3.0 still lacks a sufficient library base to be ready for production code... unless you just want to play a bit, Python 2.x is currently the way to go.

Magical Tiger
January 26th, 2010, 10:25 PM
I am using Python 3.0 because I am just messing around with it so I don't need extensive libraries but I don't have to learn it later on. On a similar but different topic, what IDE do you recommend for Linux and Windows? I tried using ActivePython in Windows but the IDE doesn't seem to work (if it has an IDE, not quite sure).

myrtle1908
January 27th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Have a read of this

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3882

Thankyou. I have seen and read that before, many moons ago. I was offering the OP a viable alternative as it was a fair bet that this thread would become heavy with Python love.