PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] recommened ubuntu/derivative

benjaminjames
January 25th, 2010, 11:27 PM
hiya all
I have a toshiba tecra 8200 and i really want some sort of ubuntu on it.
specs:
850mhz pentium III
256 mb ram
20gb hdd
16mb integrated video memory

i need it to play movies and youtube as this will be the main uses of the laptop.
any suggetions are welcome, oh btw it needs to be a noob friendly distro
thanks guys and gals

ajgreeny
January 26th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Puppy should be just the thing for that. You don't even have to install it, just run the live CD, configure it as you want, then when you shutdown accept the offers to save the config and files to the hard disk.

If you prefer to look into ubuntu derivatives have a look at Lubuntu
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

hhlp
January 26th, 2010, 12:23 AM
xubuntu

Minimum system requirements

You need 192 MB RAM to run the Live CD or 128 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 64 MB RAM at install time.

To install Xubuntu, you need 2.0 GB of free space on your hard disk.

Once installed, Xubuntu can run with starting from 192 (or even just 128) MB RAM, but it is strongly recommended to have at least 256 MB RAM.

phillw
January 26th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Lubuntu is deffinately a way forward, but it's still on alpha2, as it is not due until 10.04 launches. In the meantime, I'd suggest xubuntu for your system - If you find it runs too slowly, then you're more than welcome to have a play with lubuntu, just be aware it is not a final release and may break during the time between now & full release date.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xubuntu

You can, of course, put xubuntu on, then set an area aside for lubuntu and see which you prefer !! - It's not too difficult, once you've got one flavour of any linux to add another one - they live happily together.

Regards,

Phill.

spcwingo
January 26th, 2010, 03:51 AM
Puppy should be just the thing for that. You don't even have to install it, just run the live CD, configure it as you want, then when you shutdown accept the offers to save the config and files to the hard disk.

A BIG +1 for Puppy. It's my default OS for anything sub-1Ghz CPU/512 RAM.