PDA

View Full Version : Getting started with linux programming

Zheus
January 25th, 2010, 11:08 PM
So, it has been a month or so since I started using Ubuntu Netbook Remix, my first time with a Linux Distro, Now I am dual booting BT 4 and Ubuntu Netb remix got hang of it, got Win XP completely of the computer and want to start learning how to contribute to the world of Open Source, now I ask, What do I need to install, and what am I aiming to learn exactly?

Thanks in advance,
Zheus

bodhi.zazen
January 25th, 2010, 11:12 PM
There are many ways to contribute, from programing to packaging, to documentation, to support.

IMO this is a good place to start :

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/GettingStarted

Temposs
January 25th, 2010, 11:13 PM
What sort of programming and project management tools do you know already? That would help to point you in a direction with the least learning curve.

Puck7
January 25th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I must tell you I've thought of the same thing more than one month ago or so, and I did got to the Wiki page that bodhi.zazen suggested, and now I'm happy to be on IRC in the #ubuntu-beginners channel.

When you want to give back something to the open source and/or the Ubuntu community, you need to understand that you need to have patience and will to learn difficult things, and after you succeed with this, you can start helping others and make their life on Ubuntu easier. (:

Zheus
January 25th, 2010, 11:17 PM
What sort of programming and project management tools do you know already? That would help to point you in a direction with the least learning curve.

Thanks for the quick answers;

Although I am a little familiar with Autoit, I am mostly starting out completely

Temposs
January 25th, 2010, 11:31 PM
I believe it is best to start your programming in python, especially when working in Ubuntu. Lots of applications you're using in Ubuntu are programmed in python, and most of the programs have a way to make plugins written in python. Also, python is included with Ubuntu, so you already have it. Just open a terminal and type:

python

That gives you the python interactive mode with which you can play around with python. You should follow the official python tutorial, which is here:

http://docs.python.org/tutorial/

You can do a lot of that tutorial right from the python interactive mode. Try it out!

Temposs
January 25th, 2010, 11:33 PM
This section of the tutorial will get you started trying things out most quickly:

http://docs.python.org/tutorial/introduction.html

nothingspecial
January 25th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I`d start by trying to answer a few questions here.

It all helps.

Don`t start trying to contribute to open source software with no knowledge.

Learn to program, by all means -- yes do :D

But if you want to start helping straight away, give new users the benefit of your experience.

And start coding when you know how. :D

(which I don`t yet ---- but I`m getting there)

Zheus
January 25th, 2010, 11:43 PM
This section of the tutorial will get you started trying things out most quickly:

http://docs.python.org/tutorial/introduction.html

Awesome stuff - Thank you

peace.gangsta
February 8th, 2010, 01:05 AM
i feel this is a relevant thread to state my situation so i will start off
I learned c and c++ in my school days
I am in college right now and would like to do something in open source.
Where do i start ?
DO i need to learn something new (like python which the creator of this post found interesting and has perhaps started off) or should my knowledge of c(which is not much) suffice ?
Thanks in advance!

peace.gangsta
February 9th, 2010, 07:02 AM
bump

Temposs
February 9th, 2010, 07:29 AM
It depends on which project you'd like to help with. If the project you want to help with is written in C/C++, then your knowledge is adequate, assuming you have adequate knowledge of modern C/C++ coding.

utnubuuser
February 9th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I believe it is best to start your programming in python, especially when working in Ubuntu. Lots of applications you're using in Ubuntu are programmed in python, and most of the programs have a way to make plugins written in python. Also, python is included with Ubuntu, so you already have it. Just open a terminal and ty

Isn't python slow compared to other languages? I've seen lots of threads about the over-use of python.

Nevon
February 9th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Isn't python slow compared to other languages? I've seen lots of threads about the over-use of python.

The common answer to that is that it's fast enough. Obviously it's not going to be as fast as c++ or c. But instead it's considered to be a lot easier and it speeds up development considerably compared to a lot of lower-level languages. Unless you're doing something where performance is of utmost importance, Python is fine.