PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade 9.1 to 64bit

jlubey
January 25th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Hey all, i have a question about upgrading Ubuntu 9.1 32 bit to 64 bit. 32 bit is installed (triple booted :D ) and working fine, but i would like to upgrade to the 64 bit version.
Is there a way to do this without re-installing the entire operating system?
I downloaded the 64 bit version and i made a disk out of it. when i insert the disk (while booted in ubuntu) i get the message ¨A distribution volume with software packages has been detected¨ and i can choose from ¨start package manager¨ or ¨run upgrade.¨ when i pick upgrade, it starts to do its thing, but then fails with the message 'Unable to locate any package files, perhaps this is not a Ubuntu Disc or the wrong architecture?'. i booted from the disk and checked it, it says there are no problems with it.

am i doing something wrong/ is there another way to do this/ is it even possible to do this without re-installing ubuntu completely?
thanks for the help!!

pricetech
January 25th, 2010, 11:14 PM
You cannot upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. Nor can you "downgrade" from 64 bit to 32 bit. They are two different architectures. Hence your error message.

jlubey
January 25th, 2010, 11:33 PM
yea, thats what i was thinking. oh well. not worth the trouble of re-installing.
Thanks for the reply!!