PDA

View Full Version : I helped a Best Buy customer!

blur xc
January 25th, 2010, 09:26 PM
My wife and I went to Best Buy the other day, she was looking a cd and a movie, while I came along to play w/ the displays...

They happened to have the same printer I have been considering buy (hp 6500 wireless) on display and powered up- so I played w/ it a bit, confirmed how easy it was to connect it to a wireless network (takes like 2mins) by connecting it to the Best Buy wifi (unsecured....:confused:) network...

A little while later, after my wife found what she was looking for I dragged her over to see the printer, and as we were walking away another couple came up looking at the same printer, and with them was as Best Buy rep... First thing, the Best Buy rep told them that they needed a USB cable connected to a computer in order to set it up on the wifi. And 2nd, there were signs next to the printer stating that it did not come w/ a usb cable- $40-ish in addition to the $150 for the printer... My wife overeard and told me to go talk to them, so I did. I demostrated how to get to the wifi connection wizard, and they were all happy- including the best buy rep...

The next day I went and bought the printer from Costco for $10 less, and when I opened the box up, lo and behold, it came w/ a usb cable in the box.

BM

Jackzor
January 25th, 2010, 09:28 PM
My wife and I went to Best Buy the other day, she was looking a cd and a movie, while I came along to play w/ the displays...

They happened to have the same printer I have been considering buy (hp 6500 wireless) on display and powered up- so I played w/ it a bit, confirmed how easy it was to connect it to a wireless network (takes like 2mins) by connecting it to the Best Buy wifi (unsecured....:confused:) network...

A little while later, after my wife found what she was looking for I dragged her over to see the printer, and as we were walking away another couple came up looking at the same printer, and with them was as Best Buy rep... First thing, the Best Buy rep told them that they needed a USB cable connected to a computer in order to set it up on the wifi. And 2nd, there were signs next to the printer stating that it did not come w/ a usb cable- $40-ish in addition to the $150 for the printer... My wife overeard and told me to go talk to them, so I did. I demostrated how to get to the wifi connection wizard, and they were all happy- including the best buy rep...

The next day I went and bought the printer from Costco for $10 less, and when I opened the box up, lo and behold, it came w/ a usb cable in the box.

BM

I "Lol'd"

Tristam Green
January 25th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Seriously, though...if the guy had bought the printer and a USB cable to go with it, then if he opened the USB cable prior to opening the printer box...that's his own dang fault.

LowSky
January 25th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I just looked up that printer seems nice, does it work completly in Ubuntu?

Techsnap
January 25th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Hehe, A Printer with a USB cable INCLUDED that is rare these days that's for sure and I'm not joking, I mean it. The last through Printers I bought for customers needed separate USB Cables.

HPs generally work flawlessly with Linux.

jflaker
January 25th, 2010, 09:48 PM
:lolflag::lolflag::cool::lolflag:

FuturePilot
January 25th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Hehe, A Printer with a USB cable INCLUDED that is rare these days that's for sure and I'm not joking, I mean it. The last through Printers I bought for customers needed separate USB Cables.

Yep, the last printer I got did not come with a USB cable. I had a few extra sitting around though :D

blur xc
January 25th, 2010, 09:52 PM

So far so good- but I haven't got it to scan wirelessly though. Still working on that one...

But seriously, setting this printer up in ubuntu is a snap. You can save your hp disks for any windows or mac computers you may encounter, or just use them as coasters.

Once it's all out of the box, turned on and done with its self tests (that can take a bit), getting it on your wifi takes well udner two minutes, and then adding the pritner to ubuntu takes maybe another minute and away you go...

BM

2hot6ft2
January 25th, 2010, 09:58 PM
$40 for a usb cable? Most I would pay is a couple bucks they're plentiful and cheap.

Seems like every time I go to Best Buy I end up helping someone. Yet I'm always asking the questions that no one has the answers to like what chipset does that something have, generally things they don't put on boxes or things I'm looking for that no one seems to carry.

Problem I have with a HP OfficeJet 6400 is that if you refill the ink the stupid ink level indication part of the firmware keeps saying it's low. It doesn't actually know the level of ink and it keeps track of the cartridges you've already used so even swapping between them when refilling them doesn't help.

I want a printer that works well and has refillable cartridges that you can refill (either transparent or translucent) so you can actually see the level or that actually reads the ink levels.

But you did your good deed for the day.

dmn_clown
January 25th, 2010, 10:00 PM

Correction, some HP printers work flawlessly with Linux. Others are pure crap unless you only wanted 600 dpi black and white.

SuperSonic4
January 25th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Correction, some HP printers work flawlessly with Linux. Others are pure crap unless you only wanted 600 dpi black and white.

In this context generally is a synonym of most and most do.

Is best buy really that bad? (We don't have them in England)

2hot6ft2
January 25th, 2010, 10:07 PM
In this context generally is a synonym of most and most do.

It's not that bad it's just a lack of informed people both buying and selling. I have found a couple smart salespeople there over the years. Besides the inventory changes all the time to newer models so who could keep up with them all.

Best Buy is a big store with a lot of stuff.

jflaker
January 25th, 2010, 10:18 PM
It's not that bad it's just a lack of informed people both buying and selling. I have found a couple smart salespeople there over the years. Besides the inventory changes all the time to newer models so who could keep up with them all.

a binder with a manual for each system or accessory....but that is too much like work I guess...and who can blame them.

Working in retail for most of my IT life, I understand that these people don't really get paid quite enough to care.

Tristam Green
January 25th, 2010, 10:26 PM
get out. printers without usb cables?

2hot6ft2
January 25th, 2010, 10:27 PM
a binder with a manual for each system or accessory....but that is too much like work I guess...and who can blame them.

Working in retail for most of my IT life, I understand that these people don't really get paid quite enough to care.
The binder would be out of date by the time they printed it. Manufacturers putting more info on packaging about what is exactly in the box (specs. like chipset for wifi, compatibility etc.) would be better and more useful.

You're right about the pay.

howefield
January 25th, 2010, 10:30 PM

No better, no worse than PC World by all accounts.

SuperSonic4
January 25th, 2010, 10:34 PM
No better, no worse than PC World by all accounts.

Ah, that makes sense

jflaker
January 25th, 2010, 10:34 PM
The binder would be out of date by the time they printed it. Manufacturers putting more info on packaging about what is exactly in the box (specs. like chipset for wifi, compatibility etc.) would be better and more useful

But would the average consumer understand it?

2hot6ft2
January 25th, 2010, 10:52 PM
But would the average consumer understand it?
Doubtful, but then do they understand what's on the box anyway?
But the linux users would appreciate it. I know I would.

Dr. C
January 25th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Companies like Best Buy make their markup on the USB cable rather than the printer, so a cable that goes for $6 at the local small computer store will sell for $40 at Best Buy. The same can be said for most of the big box stores including Wal-Mart. I have seen small local businesses under cut the giant Wal-Mart by 80% or more on computer cables for this reason.

LowSky
January 25th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I never buy cables at Best Buy, One time they tried sell me a 6 foot HDMI cable for $100. I laughed in their faces and told them I will buy it online for $10, they then told me their cable was gold plated and garanteed to work. I laughed again and told them gold plating means nothing with digital connections, and then walked out of the store.

Techsnap
January 25th, 2010, 11:25 PM
they then told me their cable was gold plated and garanteed to work. I laughed again and told them gold plating means nothing with digital connections, and then walked out of the store.

Loads of stores use that one and yeah I agree, it is laughable.

pricetech
January 25th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Gold in non corrosive, and an excellent conductor, therefore gold plated connected are more reliable.

One of the other properties of gold is its ability to be drawn out and layered very thin. The gold plating on those cables costs the manufacturer next to nothing to apply because of that.

More than likely the cable you order has gold plated contacts too.

As to the competence of best buy's geek squad, I wouldn't give 15 cents for a truckload of them.

There's an old saying "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****" Some people go for the "baffle" option first.

blur xc
January 25th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Companies like Best Buy make their markup on the USB cable rather than the printer, so a cable that goes for $6 at the local small computer store will sell for $40 at Best Buy. The same can be said for most of the big box stores including Wal-Mart. I have seen small local businesses under cut the giant Wal-Mart by 80% or more on computer cables for this reason.

I have so many extra usb cables laying around the house, if I had one on hand I would have given it away...

Old peripherals die and go the the dumpster (at the recycling yard), but I always keep the cables.

BM

Stan_1936
January 26th, 2010, 12:45 AM
....there were signs next to the printer stating that it did not come w/ a usb cable- $40-ish in addition to the $150 for the printer...

That's BS!

Who told you that a usb cable costs $40.00?

Psumi
January 26th, 2010, 12:48 AM
I suggest the HP Wireless 6500 as well, I have one, and I can scan wirelessly without a problem (especially in a default ubuntu install; not so much in a non-GNOME environment, sadly.)

I bought one for 150 at office max once, when Best Buy had it for 250 USD

gletob
January 26th, 2010, 12:51 AM

BM

That's great that you helped a couple out, and informed a sales person of his/her problem.

HP products have slightly different versions for different retailers. While small different versions have slight differences.

Example #1
My HP Pavillion c6267 is a c-b model, while best by has one that is bb, and walmart wm. The ones at Best Buy and Wal-Mart didn't come with HDMI cables. My costco c-b did.

Example #2
Staples had a HP OfficeJet 6310 for $150
Costco had a HP OfficeJet 6310xi for $125 that included usb and ethernet cables the staples printer didn't.

I love buying electronics at Costco because they always have better prices, extras, and of course their great warranties.

blur xc
January 26th, 2010, 12:52 AM
That's BS!

I dunno- the sign above the package on the rack?

I didn't look at it closely though...

link (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=8894615938744755153&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=usb+cable&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Eq757362206361626c65%7E%7Encabcat0500000%23% 233%23%2310&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n)

BM

Psumi
January 26th, 2010, 12:56 AM
btw, my HP Wireless 6500 came with a USB Cable, even though it was advertised it didn't.

I dunno- the sign above the package on the rack?

I didn't look at it closely though...

link (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=8894615938744755153&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=usb+cable&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Eq757362206361626c65%7E%7Encabcat0500000%23% 233%23%2310&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n)

BM

For printers, you need an A/B cable, this dynex one costs only 10 USD: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23174%3B+-+4%27+USB+2.0+A/B+Cable/9594744.p;jsessionid=5B6414B2FD2AD43028D2D4CE5502A ADD.bbolsp-app05-54?id=1218130477024&skuId=9594744&st=usb%20cable&cp=1&lp=5

However, the HP Wireless 6500 (if you have a wireless network) can all be setup without the use of USB in ubuntu. OSD on the printer allows you to specify a WEP key.

blur xc
January 26th, 2010, 01:01 AM
btw, my HP Wireless 6500 came with a USB Cable, even though it was advertised it didn't.

For printers, you need an A/B cable, this dynex one costs only 10 USD: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23174%3B+-+4%27+USB+2.0+A/B+Cable/9594744.p;jsessionid=5B6414B2FD2AD43028D2D4CE5502A ADD.bbolsp-app05-54?id=1218130477024&skuId=9594744&st=usb%20cable&cp=1&lp=5

However, the HP Wireless 6500 (if you have a wireless network) can all be setup without the use of USB in ubuntu. OSD on the printer allows you to specify a WEP key.

but that one's only 4' long, which is pretty darn short. I can't understand how best buy gets away w/ selling the longer ones for so much, even if they are gold plated. I just checked newegg, and they have dozens in the $2 range, with one caveat, $6 shipping.

BM

3rdalbum
January 26th, 2010, 02:39 AM
A lot of wifi printers need a USB cable and proprietary software to be run on the computer in order to start connecting to a wireless AP; I wouldn't be too hard on the Best Buy guy.

And it happens a lot of times where things get added to the contents of the box after the box itself gets printed.

Dr. C
January 26th, 2010, 04:35 AM
That's BS!

Best Buy. Actually it is more like $40.99

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Geek+Squad%26%23174%3B+-+10%27+USB+2.0+A/B+Cable/6801133.p?skuId=6801133&ky=1whxm51gbOgORrn6M8JOUlLjDtR0yY7Rx&cmp=RMX&id=1091099783522

Now I wonder how much the extended warranty on the cable costs?

xuCGC002
January 26th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Now I wonder how much the extended warranty on the cable costs?

Not to mention the installation fees.

Kdar
January 26th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Why do you people even go there?
I wish it will go out of business one of those days.

Psumi
January 26th, 2010, 06:26 AM

Then I'd have to go to office depot, max or staples to look at laptops. I don't buy online so............ yeah.

No fry's here either, and Sam's Clud, gotta pay to get in unless you're a member (which I never will be.) Costcon, also have to pay to get in, etc.

blur xc
January 26th, 2010, 07:25 PM

The best part of best buy is that most of the display models are powered up and ready to play with. I can't do that really anywhere else...

And- they have a good selection of movies and music.

BM

RabbitWho
January 26th, 2010, 09:07 PM

Aye, we have a HP at home and I was shocked how easy it was to print off ubuntu.. plug in.. press print.. it prints...

Every time i try to use it on vista you have to set up the whole thing again because it won't recognise it as the same printer it had yesterday, so there are like 50 "hp printer (1)" "hp printer (2)" etc etc. and you have to scroll and scroll and scroll till you find the most recent number because (!) they're not even in order (I don't even know how that's possible).

forrestcupp
January 26th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Don't bash the Best Buy workers. It's just a retail store; they don't require a degree to work there. People with the skills and knowledge that you people expect have a lot higher paying jobs than Best Buy.

Bashing the Geek Squad is one thing, but regular floor employees shouldn't be expected to have advanced knowledge and skill sets.

The next day I went and bought the printer from Costco for $10 less, and when I opened the box up, lo and behold, it came w/ a usb cable in the box.Before I buy anything at the store, I usually read the box. It says right on there what is included. ;)

Companies like Best Buy make their markup on the USB cable rather than the printer, so a cable that goes for $6 at the local small computer store will sell for $40 at Best Buy.
True, but the biggest markup for printers is the ink.

trixman
January 27th, 2010, 12:53 AM

BM

nice story, thanks for sharing

Stan_1936
January 27th, 2010, 01:28 AM
I dunno- the sign above the package on the rack?...

My point was, and is, that you don't have to buy it from them......(much) cheaper usb cables are available elsewhere, as you've pointed out in a later post.

Kai69
January 27th, 2010, 01:32 AM
We needed a new printer just before xmas so we thought we'd go to PC World 2 shops away was a Staples store went in there first saw a wireless HP photosmart c4580 for 53.99 the salesman tried to sell us a usb cable but when he took the box down read the label and apologised the cable was in the box we brought the printer went to PC World they had about 4 printers on display and all the wireless models were over 80.00 .
We set the printer up in vista on the old desktop had to use the cable and cd, On my laptop running 9.10 i downloaded the latest linux HP installer and it setup wirelessly at xmas brought the kids a laptop with W7 the install cd wasnt even recognised so had to find the driver from HPs site still had to install with the cable
Funny thing windows always wants to do thing the hard way..:p

Frak
January 27th, 2010, 02:41 AM
$40 for a USB cable? Really?

forrestcupp
January 27th, 2010, 01:50 PM
brought the kids a laptop with W7 the install cd wasnt even recognised so had to find the driver from HPs site still had to install with the cable
Funny thing windows always wants to do thing the hard way..:p

That's strange. I've never had to manually install a printer driver with Windows 7. Every time I've plugged in a new printer, W7 automatically downloaded and installed complete printer/scanner drivers without me doing anything at all. The first time I installed a printer with W7, I plugged it in and searched the internet for Windows 7 drivers for it. Before I could find any drivers, it already had them automatically installed. It's been like that with all my W7/printer experiences.

I'd say Windows was wanting to do things the easy way. ;)

blur xc
January 27th, 2010, 06:55 PM
That's strange. I've never had to manually install a printer driver with Windows 7. Every time I've plugged in a new printer, W7 automatically downloaded and installed complete printer/scanner drivers without me doing anything at all. The first time I installed a printer with W7, I plugged it in and searched the internet for Windows 7 drivers for it. Before I could find any drivers, it already had them automatically installed. It's been like that with all my W7/printer experiences.

I'll have to 2nd that- I had an old hp that we gave to my wife's aunt; I showed up to her place armed w/a usb stick that had the hp drivers on it, but when I plugged it in, Vista took care of it for me- wasn't quite as fast as setting up a printer in Ubuntu, but it was a pleasant enough experience...

BM

Warpnow
January 27th, 2010, 09:33 PM
$40 for a USB cable? Really?

Try going to a best buy pretending to not know a thing, and just see what they reccomend you buy.

Frak
January 27th, 2010, 10:30 PM

It actually did that with my HP T1200 as well. Ubuntu didn't even detect it.

Kai69
January 27th, 2010, 11:17 PM
The problem I had with W7 and my printer was that when I plugged the usb cable in and set the printer up it wouldnt recognise the wireless side kept telling me printer not connected thats why i had to get the setup drivers from HP now works on wireless..

forrestcupp
January 28th, 2010, 12:17 AM
The problem I had with W7 and my printer was that when I plugged the usb cable in and set the printer up it wouldnt recognise the wireless side kept telling me printer not connected thats why i had to get the setup drivers from HP now works on wireless..

Yeah, I guess it would be different for setting up the wireless side of a printer.

Frak
January 28th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Yeah, I guess it would be different for setting up the wireless side of a printer.
Haha, icwutudidthar