PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] grub loading error reading

vijay karthik
January 25th, 2010, 07:44 PM
hello.
a naive beginner. i face the following problem: the follwing message appears when i start my computer (loaded with ubuntu 9.10 and windows)
"grub loading error reading".
i am not able to proceed further. and the part that baffles me the most is that i am not able to boot from the live cd as well. please help.

houseworkshy
January 25th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Have you tried going into the bios on bootup? On my machine I do it by tapping the del key as it boots, this varies but most machines tell you. Once in check to see that the machine looks to it's cd/dvd drive for a boot record before it looks at the hard drive. the convention is that the disc/usb at the top of the list is checked first and the one at the end last. Be cautious in bios, remember what you see( such as what the drives are called ) then change the boot priority, if it needs it, but leave every thing else alone. If it is that then you will be able to boot from the cd/dvd again.

vijay karthik
January 25th, 2010, 09:20 PM
yes i tried doing it. inspite its the same error.

houseworkshy
January 25th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Whilst I use grub 2 myself I don't understand it so I'm afraid that has got me foxed too. Maybe if you were to post a new thread with "grub 2" at the beginning it would attract some passing expert. Wish I could help more, I've actually got a similar problem on an old machine I'm trying to resurrect. Good luck with it.

vijay karthik
January 26th, 2010, 06:28 AM
alright. thanx a lot for giving it a try . cheers