PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Installation Problem Blinking Cursor After Installation

Brett.Townsend
January 25th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Ok so I just bought a new laptop yesterday, took it home booted windows 7 home premium x64, removed preloaded bloatware. Popped in a ubuntu 9.10 disc installed everything went fine removed cd. Rebooted computer, selected ubuntu on grub bootloader and blinking cursor of frustration appears.

Then I thought eh maybe i'll try a 64bit edition of kubuntu and it wont even let me install that nothing but a blinking cursor on that one.

BTW the computer is a Emachines E525

Celeron 900
3gb ddr3
intel gma 4500hd

but for $279 u cant beat it.

Brett.Townsend
January 25th, 2010, 10:25 PM
also safe mode hangs

as well as trying a live cd

blinking cursor video problem?

Brett.Townsend
January 26th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Version 9.04 x64 installed and booted without a hitch...

bherrmann7
January 26th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Bought an emacines e525 yesterday at best buy. It runs win7 home x64 fine, but on the Karmic x64 boot disk it hangs after selecting "install ubuntu". memory test and cd integrity test both work fine. Symtom is screen clears then cursor blinks in upper left.

Brett.Townsend
January 27th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Yeah, you are probably going to end up having to do what I did and download ubuntu 9.04 x64 jaunty. Mine works find just dont update the video drivers and dont upgrade to version 9.10.

adam814
January 27th, 2010, 01:39 AM
You could probably use the alternate install CD instead of the LiveCD to install Karmic.

Also I'm hesitant to trust wubi installs. I dual-boot Lucid Alpha and Vista, but with Lucid installed in a dedicated partition. If the next drive-by malware to come along corrupts my Vista partition I can recover data through Ubuntu. If that happens and you use wubi you probably won't even be able to boot into Ubuntu (although I suppose you could use a LiveCD). That's just one reason it's better to install to a real partition.

Brett.Townsend
January 27th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't ever install linux inside of windows thats just bad practices.

bherrmann7
January 27th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Wow, 9.04 works like a champ! Wifi, display, everything!!! Sweet!! Why do you think upgrading to 9.10 will kill it?

Thanks!

Brett.Townsend
January 27th, 2010, 06:28 AM
I was reading on some other forums where someone else was having some of these same problems with a notebook that had the intel gma 4500 video card and they could only get it to work with 9.04 after upgrading to 9.10 it wouldn't work for them anymore.