PDA

View Full Version : linux in university

the revenant
January 25th, 2010, 12:33 PM
I've been on-and-off with ubuntu over the past four or five years. i've dualbooted between windows and a few distrobutions of linux, but it's a new semester and my windows-only laptop had been getting increasingly slow, so I buckled down and reformatted to 9.04.

the only problem is the professor of one of my information science classes insists on the students using windows and its applications. now, that's not too big of a problem for me, as I have another computer and the uni library is always available, but it's the principle of the thing! furthermore, this is my second year in college and i've heard ONE mention of Linux in a class- in comparison to Windows in security. is anybody else's university like this? is there a wonderful college somewhere in new york that's a home for linux geeks everywhere?

TyrantWave
January 25th, 2010, 01:04 PM
this is my second year in college and i've heard ONE mention of Linux in a class- in comparison to Windows in security

That's odd.
I'm in my third year now, and for my software development, security, and networking modules we used Linux on all of them to do the work. Basis being that it's the better OS for these 3 modules.
Heck, at the moment we're using Nessus to find and abuse exploits in networks =p.

I'd say come to this Uni, but I'm in England >.> (University of Essex)

Groucho Marxist
January 25th, 2010, 02:17 PM
I've been on-and-off with ubuntu over the past four or five years. i've dualbooted between windows and a few distrobutions of linux, but it's a new semester and my windows-only laptop had been getting increasingly slow, so I buckled down and reformatted to 9.04.

the only problem is the professor of one of my information science classes insists on the students using windows and its applications. now, that's not too big of a problem for me, as I have another computer and the uni library is always available, but it's the principle of the thing! furthermore, this is my second year in college and i've heard ONE mention of Linux in a class- in comparison to Windows in security. is anybody else's university like this? is there a wonderful college somewhere in new york that's a home for linux geeks everywhere?

Here at Central Michigan, Linux is treated by some in the IT department with respect. For example, my current multimedia (i.e. Flash) professor is an advocate for open source software. Part of our last lecture revolved around the university switching to open source applications to cut back on spending.

Chronon
January 25th, 2010, 08:42 PM

None of the couple of classes I took in CIS required this. I know that at least the initial sequence of courses could all be done with tools installed on the school's Linux servers (or on a Linux desktop with appropriate tools).

betrunkenaffe
January 25th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Out of curiosity, how is he "enforcing" that you have to use Windows? Is he loading your computers/laptops and failing you for not having Windows?

Dennis
February 7th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Thought this may be of interest to the forum. :D

An Introduction To Linux course from The Open University in the UK,

The myth of Linux is based on the misconception that it’s a difficult operating system to understand, hard to use and has many issues surrounding its quality. As one of the most extensively used operating systems worldwide, the chances are that the website you last visited was running on a Linux-supported system. In this ten-week course – designed for absolute beginners – you’ll examine the many similarities that exist between Linux and operating systems such as Microsoft Windows. You’ll also explore the diverse technology available in the Linux community. You’ll be provided with tools to access free versions of Linux and software to install this on your computer.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/t155.htm