PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Show Contents while resizing a window? 9.10

teraploppy
January 24th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Greetings! I've been clawing through the forums and FAQ's.. Can't find out how.

Anyone know the trick to getting Ubuntu to show the contents of a window while I resize it? It WAS doing this until I loaded up the drivers for my Nividia Quador 135M (works great!) I'm very happy with my Ubuntu 9.10, I even have all the bouncy window effects running.

Still, I would love get rid of the "faded blue resizing box" and see the contents instead. Anyone know?

stinkeye
January 25th, 2010, 10:17 AM
ccsm > window management > resize window > general > default resize mode > normal

teraploppy
January 26th, 2010, 05:28 AM
STINKEYE! :KS

You are a Golden God! Thank you. It took me a moment to figure out that "CCSM" meant Compiz Configuration Setting Manager, but after that I was able to look it up and find out more.

I installed it using this command:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-fusion-plugins-extra compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-plugins emerald

All this information can be found on the Ubuntu forums HERE (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-and-configure-compiz-fusion-in-ubuntu-9-10karmic.html) :popcorn:

Jetro
December 9th, 2010, 05:26 AM
How can I turn OFF content showing when resizing Windows? I don't have Compiz installed at the moment, so I wonder. ^^

stinkeye
December 9th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Can't find a specific setting for this in Metacity but enabling
gconf-editor /apps/metacity/general/reduced_resources
will draw wire frames intead of the window contents while resizing.
It also changes a couple of other things though.

Jetro
December 9th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Hey, thanks, you!
That option creates a hideous grid, but at least it was what I was looking for. :)

Isn't it weird that show content while resizing window is enabled by default, and disabled when you install fancy compiz effects? It's like the opposite of Windows.

Decatf
December 9th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Normal resizing on Compiz can result in all kinds of hideous crashing on some setups. Every <=r500 radeon card I've tried has had disastrous results with normal resize.

wpurcell
January 18th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Yes, and thank you "From the Future"!