PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstall a half-baked Python 2.6 on Hardy, or press on?

ladasky
January 24th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Hello again,

Yesterday I attempted an upgrade to Python 2.6, which is not standard on Hardy. So I did this manually, without the benefit of Synaptic. I downloaded the tarball from python.org.

In my first report (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1389177), I said that I thought that this Python installation was error-free, but ineffective. Python 2.6 appeared in a different directory than 2.5 and 2.4. IDLE was still bringing up Python 2.5. Well, it's more complicated than that.

I work in SCIte as well as IDLE -- the former is a much better editor. Just now, I tried SCIte. Apparently SCIte knows that I have Python 2.6, and is trying to use it. Alas, my programs depend on extra Python packages such as biopython, numpy and matplotlib. My Python 2.6 distro does not have these yet. None of my programs will run from SCIte!

Given the mess I've made by trying to just install plain-old Python, I don't know whether I should attempt to back out, or to press on. Help! :)