PDA

View Full Version : Simple Python Script Help Needed (Shutdown Comp.)

Eremis
January 24th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Hi everybody!

I am new to python, and I am trying to figure out how would I make a script that would shutdown my computer after X seconds...
For example when I am downloading something that takes about 2 hours, I could set the script to shutdown PC after 3 hours, and leave home...

So far this is what I have:

#!/usr/bin/python
import os
import time

time.sleep(3600) # after 1 hour shutdown computer
os.system("sudo shutdown now -h -k") # shutdown command

My problem is that ubuntu needs a password to do such tasks, so after 1 hour it will ask me for one (the point being I will not be home to type it...) If I leave out the "sudo" it just gives me an error saying that I dont have permission.. :confused:

Is there a way to become admin, then start the timer, then shut-down (with admin privileges...)? Or is there any other way to acomplish this?

Thanks for the help...

Senesence
January 24th, 2010, 11:52 PM
I think you need to run the python program with root privileges.

Can+~
January 25th, 2010, 01:17 AM
The shutdown command has a TIME parameter (http://www.dsl.org/cookbook/cookbook_41.html#SEC566), so you don't even need a script, check the manpages.

NAME
shutdown - bring the system down

SYNOPSIS
shutdown [OPTION]... TIME [MESSAGE]

And I think you can run as root indefenitely (aside from su) doing sudo -s command. Although, I'm not sure about this.

jpkotta
January 25th, 2010, 05:17 AM
If you use KDM, you don't need root privileges.

kdmctl shutdown halt trynow
You can use KDM without using KDE.

Edit: It appears that the GDM equivalent is gdm-signal, in the powermanagement-interface package. I have not tested it.

wmcbrine
January 25th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Yes, that "now" in the shutdown command actually means something -- just change it to the time you want.

But also, even if you were going to script it, this is one of those tasks where bash would make more sense than Python.

While you're looking at man pages, check out the "at" command.