PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading from Hardy to Karmic in the presence of RAID?

ladasky
January 24th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Hi folks,

This is sort of a bump from my post from yesterday (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1389177). Maybe with this new title, I'll get some replies.

I really want Python 2.6, which is not part of the standard Hardy packages. I just tried installing the Python 2.6 Linux distro direct from python.org. While I didn't see any error messages during the installation, I'm still defaulting to Python 2.5, and 2.6 installed to a different folder than 2.5.

A secondary wish: I would also like GROMACS 4.0 instead of 3.3. Again, Karmic has it as standard, Hardy doesn't.

I'm running dual hard drives in a software RAID1 configuration. My system is Linux only, so I have no Windoze compatibility issues to worry about.

Still, I've gathered that upgrading in the presence of RAID is different, and more problematic, than a standard upgrade. Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks! :)

llawwehttam
January 24th, 2010, 10:51 PM
My advice,
wait till april and go to lucid. Karmic is still buggy and grub 2 is still causing people problems.