PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading to 9.10

kevinorourke2008
January 24th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Hello,
can anybody tell me if I upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 by clicking on the upgrade button in the update manager will it be like a new install whereby I loose all of the contents of my home folder and all of the programs I have downloaded or will it write the files over the top of 9.04 and leave all of my files and programs intact ?
I am currently using an acer aspire one running ubuntu 9.04 and am very happy with ubunutu after leaving microsoft rubbish 6 months ago.

r_s
January 24th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Nohting's gonna happen to your home files and folders, it will only update some of your programs, like updating to a new kernel, an updated firefox and others

OrangeCrate
January 24th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Hello,
can anybody tell me if I upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 by clicking on the upgrade button in the update manager will it be like a new install whereby I loose all of the contents of my home folder and all of the programs I have downloaded or will it write the files over the top of 9.04 and leave all of my files and programs intact ?
I am currently using an acer aspire one running ubuntu 9.04 and am very happy with ubunutu after leaving microsoft rubbish 6 months ago.

A strong caution...

Though nothing should happen to your files and folders in your Home Folder, please make sure you backup your Home Folder before trying any upgrade. (The simplest way, is to drag the contents to a stick.)

The first time you don't backup, is the time that the upgrade is going to bork, and you're left holding a pile of ashes. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

kevinorourke2008
January 24th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Cheers r_s,
I was a bit worried that I would have to start all over again and download all of the back ports and things that I have found to get my netbook working supperbly.
I can't recommend ubuntu highly enough to friends I keep burning live cds for them to give it a try, so far I have handed out 9 cd's and 5 people have already ditched windows.

Cheers Kev

anechoic
January 24th, 2010, 11:37 PM
I've waited to upgrade until Koala settled down a bit but haven't decided whether or not to attempt a fresh install or an upgrade

I want to upgrade from 9.04 -> 9.10
my drive is partitioned into '/' and '/home/mystuff'

I back up regularly via Jungledisk and BackInTime
and plan on dragging both my '/home' and '/' directories onto a drive just to make abs sure I have everything - in case things go south

I've also created a 'all markings - full state' from Synaptic so I have an up to date list of every app installed on my hard drive

but want to know if anyone has experienced any difficulties in doing an 'upgrade' from 9.04->9.10

any gotchas or weirdness or secret handshakes I should know about?