PDA

View Full Version : Doing the Opera 9 preview snoopy dance

kadymae
March 3rd, 2006, 04:11 AM
(this isn't anything earth shaking, but I have to share my joy with people who actually understand)

I am no fan of Firefox.

And, despite all the help from the cool people up in the PPC forums, I never could get Opera 8 to install.

Then I read there's a beta for Opera 9. So, I sought it out, took a guess at which Debian package to install (when in doubt I pick the biggest one).

sudo dpkg -i OhdeargodthisisanincrediblylongfilenamebutIknowtab complete.extension

standard not very helpful linux cthuluspeak, but the *good* cthuluspeak.

opera

* THE FRELLING THING OPENED!*

I closed it, crossed my fingers, and then clicked on the Opera link in my applications menu.

*IT FREEKING WORKS!!!*

(Excuse me while I go off and do the snoopy dance of my joy is at "eleventy one"!)

SectionThree
March 3rd, 2006, 04:23 AM
Me, I've been a big Firefox fan ever since I had an OS that could run it, but my complaint about it is just the same as the one I had about Netscape: sluggish CPU hog. I got Opera about a week ago and now I'm doin' the snoopy dance with my dog (along with a jig and some skankin').

Opera has much of what makes Firefox good and it's freaking fast!

byen
March 3rd, 2006, 04:25 AM
good to know that you have had success! On a side note....while doing dpkg -i..you can just do..
sudo dpkg -i first_few_alphabets_of_the_program_name + tab (which auto fills the rest!)

Not a great tip...but it sure helps lazy users like me ;-)

EDIT: Oops...Cant believe I missed the part where you said yu knew abt it..well..hope someone finds use with this post :-)

Rumor
March 3rd, 2006, 04:39 AM
(this isn't anything earth shaking, but I have to share my joy with people who actually understand)

I am no fan of Firefox.

And, despite all the help from the cool people up in the PPC forums, I never could get Opera 8 to install.

Then I read there's a beta for Opera 9.

(Excuse me while I go off and do the snoopy dance of my joy is at "eleventy one"!)

I understand and echo your joy :D

I've been using opera 9.00 preview 2 (build 1635) since very shortly after it came out. I've found it to be rock-solid and, as you said, it actually installs and launches!

Funny, but I (have to) use WinXP at work, so I downloaded the 9.00 preview 2 for Windows, but it had problems. Probably they were just due to an inferior OS.

kadymae
March 3rd, 2006, 04:40 AM
;) If you read my fake file name, you'll see that I know the tab complete trick.

Yes, major time saver.

kadymae
March 3rd, 2006, 04:41 AM
At work, we're an XP (pro) house and I haven't tried 9 preview, but have had nothing but goodness with 8.x

TrendyDark
March 3rd, 2006, 05:56 AM
Opera is a great browser. I love how fast it is, they don't lie saying it's the fastest in the world. One thing about it make me stop dead in my tracks though, that is how much work needs to go into plugin support and the fact that (to the best of my knowledge) the mplayer plugin is not supported.