PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.10 video fails on boot, install, upgrade and live CD

mseeba
January 24th, 2010, 06:11 PM
When I ran the distribution upgrade from 9.04 in update manager, my screen went blank on reboot and will not recover. Every time I reboot, screen goes blank. I cannot press CTRL-ALT F1 - F6 to gain access to text shells.

I tested booting from the 9.04 live CD and it works fine. So I downloaded the 9.10 live cd on another computer and booted it on the disabled system. Same exact problem on the live CD that I had upon installation: on boot screen goes black and cannot access text shells.

What can I do next to get out of this short of going back to 9.04, which has problems that I do not want to live with?

-Mark.

Handssolow
January 24th, 2010, 11:41 PM
I'm also am unable to run 9.10 live CDs yet can run 8.10 live. I've not tried 9.04. I suspect my problem is described in this thread.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305459

I was able to enter sudo stop gdm and stop the flashing screen but I couldn't get a gui.

Considering this is the first time I've not been able to run a live CD I think this bug isn't getting enough attention.