PDA

View Full Version : Linux: A house divided?

RFXCasey
January 24th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I am sure this has been brought up before but being as people are very passionate about Linux taking on Windows let me pose this question. Now, and please consider this carefully, I know that freedom is a thing to be cherished. However, with all the Linux development, and I do appreciate the hard work by all, going in 2 million different directions, whether it be VectorLinux, or PCLinux, or Ubuntu or whatever. And seeing a lot of arguing over which is the best distro and why so and so prefers their favorite. Has it every occurred to anyone that maybe none of this is really doing the Linux cause any good. Meaning, if everyone were to pick, say 1, 2 or even 3 distros/projects what have you and just work on those I think it would end up in 1 or 2 awesome potentially Windows killing distros. I'm not saying I don't like choices, but, if all this raw talent out there was working together toward the same goal it could literally change the world overnight almost. And, I know I will probably get flak for this but, do we REALLY need 100 different versions of Linux a lot of which basically accomplish the same thing? Let me know what you all think cause like they say a house divided cannot stand and it seems there is a whole lot more unity over in the Windows camp. Don't take that the wrong way I am just saying Windows seems like a one (maybe 2) headed snake while Linux seems to have an unlimited amount of heads. Oh and I know, I know, flexibility is what makes Linux strong. But to what extent does it become a negative. Because, and here come the hate I can see it now, Linux really isn't strong compared to Windows appeal. I mean 99.9 percent of people use Windows, I don't like it but it is true.

rapidog
January 24th, 2010, 05:19 PM
There's a lot to be said for structure, and Linux has none, partly because it's opensource.

Berk
January 24th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Another thing to be said for structure: It is a nice thing to see in peoples writing and makes reading much easier.

Elfy
January 24th, 2010, 05:24 PM
closed - the duplicate you started is in recurring discussions - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1389356