PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone here interested in PROGressive rock ?

Martin McFly
January 24th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I've been listening rock music for all my life, but recently, since two years ago, I've been listening prog music. A year ago, I discovered great site, ProgArchives.com, which helps people like me to find other people with this unusual hobby, to talk about music etc. There are more sites, but I'm sticked to this particular one.

Talking about music, writing reviews (really, can redirect you on my profile if you want) and similar things. It's actually only forum I visit and now also this one.

My Linux journey can be seen here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1389224
if you're curious.

I'm new here, so I though I'll ask some people if they share same musical preferences. Talk about music etc. And what's PROG after all ? That's a tricky question, people mostly don't know literally. You can try wikipedia entry of progressive rock (google), or definitons on ProgArchives.com, but it's hard.

Simply definition (my definition) is that it's music similar to Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull, Rush, Dream Theater etc.

nmccrina
January 24th, 2010, 02:14 PM
YES!!! (pun intended)

I like all those bands (I'm just getting into Dream Theater). Also, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, Porcupine Tree, King Crimson. And all the Krautrock bands. I could go on and on about it, if no one stopped me! :D

I have a hard time defining prog, though, mostly because a lot of qualities that are thought of as "prog" are also sometimes in genres that are definitely not. For example, Eddie Van Halen is probably as good or better than any prog guitarist, but Van Halen is not prog. So virtuosity alone does not mean anything. The same with extended song lengths, etc. So I tend to limit it to anything involving Robert Fripp, Peter Gabriel, Brian Eno, or Bill Bruford, which actually includes about 50% of the music recorded since 1970. :P

pwnst*r
January 24th, 2010, 02:58 PM
...which helps people like me to find other people with this unusual hobby,

I'm not seeing a hobby that is "unusual". Maybe you meant a different word.

purgatori
January 24th, 2010, 03:01 PM
King Crimson and Soft Machine are at the top of the list for me.

Martin McFly
January 24th, 2010, 03:03 PM
YES!!! (pun intended)

I like all those bands (I'm just getting into Dream Theater). Also, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, Porcupine Tree, King Crimson. And all the Krautrock bands. I could go on and on about it, if no one stopped me! :D

I have a hard time defining prog, though, mostly because a lot of qualities that are thought of as "prog" are also sometimes in genres that are definitely not. For example, Eddie Van Halen is probably as good or better than any prog guitarist, but Van Halen is not prog. So virtuosity alone does not mean anything. The same with extended song lengths, etc. So I tend to limit it to anything involving Robert Fripp, Peter Gabriel, Brian Eno, or Bill Bruford, which actually includes about 50% of the music recorded since 1970. :P

I once was Travian addict (it's online text, little bit of images game) and I visited my "alliance" (like guilds in Warcraft) forum. I've had in total more than 500 posts here. After round (year long) ended, we abandoned this forum. What a waste of time. Yes, I had good memories, I had fun, but that's all. On PA, I've posted about 700 posts since March 2009 and I don't regret it at all.

Why I'm saying it - because some things are long-terms, ever-lasting, or simply worth of it. Hmmm, GA means Georgia ? One nice fact for you :-) 44%ˇof ProgArchives are Americans. 0.01% are Czechs, so my nation is somehow in minority :D Like this forum, is worth of posting here. Linux is something that it's a)worth b)will last c)is a good thing.

Umm, it's getting confusing, the more I'm trying to explain it, so let me show some facts. I first used PA as source, so let me present you this:

http://www.progarchives.com/top-prog-albums.asp?salbumtypes=1#list
And I think you'll find some of your most favourite albums here (haha, favourite, or favorite ... pun intended, but not prog one, unfortunately). Hey, you've made it into google top position:
http://www.google.cz/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=progressive+rock+puns&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 I though I'll find more prog puns, but no chance here.

MUSIC:

Strange. Maybe it's because I'm from country that was on the west of the east (communism till 1989) and that even I'm young (21), my rock liking is because of my father. And he knows mostly what he was listening when he was young. And he could listen only music that managed to get here. Mostly the bands I named.

ELP, King Crimson, VDGG, even Porcupine Tree, I never heard about them till I entered PA ranks. Now, PT's Lightbulb Sun (I know, it's more like casual rock, but still, I like it a lot ... no no, the most :-) ), Dream Theater's Score live - the album that get me into prog rock/metal, then The Flower Kings (my avatar) ...

Krautrock, I recently found out that this name is because ... umm, saurerkraut, try wiki :- /

I know that what you or I like is personal, but some things are more common than others. For example my father likes Pink Floyd a lot, but can't stand Yes. Because of ....... can you guess the question ? I like them, but he just does not like ..... BINGO, vocals. He likes Ian Anderson on the other hand.

So, I think that you can find in this TOP 100 list at least 20 albums that you didn't know. Good for you, as you may try to look for them and acquire them, listen and enjoy them.

Whew, I have to stop with these 400 chars per minute typing, it's tiring.

Right now, listening new discovery (well, 8 months old for me) called 5bridges. http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4265

I think you'll like them :-) Genesis meets ELP they say. I say - very good one. I also reviewed them (you'll find it on the bottom of the page), but it's not one of my good reviews. I'm Marty McFly there.

Martin McFly
January 24th, 2010, 03:08 PM
I'm not seeing a hobby that is "unusual". Maybe you meant a different word.

Yep, you got me. You know, I can talk about a lot of things, do long paragraphs, but sometimes, this language barrier is a problem.

I meant, that majority of people are casual listeners. Do not like music which needs more demanding listener. Pop music, hip-hop, electronic like trance or techno. I've been listening some of these styles in past, when I was finding my way, but still, rock was about 50% of what I've been listening. Then it was majority. And now, 95% of music I listen is prog.

But most people do not. That's why I called it unusual. I sometimes joke about it. I have a girl, she listens the same music as I do, but who else. Not much people these days.

So unusual in meaning "With not so many listeners amongst people of my age". I am 21.

pwnst*r
January 24th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Ok, I understand where you're coming from better. I also love prog rock, but open myself to lots of other genres as well. You've mentioned some of my favorites (Genesis, Rush, Dream Theater) but lately I've been really digging the debut album of Animals as Leaders. It's got virtuoso and prog written all over it.

Animals as Leaders - Tempting Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ho4-tExpTE)

Martin McFly
January 24th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Ok, I understand where you're coming from better. I also love prog rock, but open myself to lots of other genres as well. You've mentioned some of my favorites (Genesis, Rush, Dream Theater) but lately I've been really digging the debut album of Animals as Leaders. It's got virtuoso and prog written all over it.

Sometimes it's hard. As The One from Georgia said, it's hard to define prog rock. Even when you're listening it for your whole life.

Actually, I get to the prog through wikipedias Concept Album page and from here to Dream Theater's Metropolis & Six Degrees.

I love Cygnus X-1 (wrong name, not correctly spelled, you know - it's the one about 15 minutes long)

One admin on PA has nickname rushfan4, other two has Snow Dog &*King-By-Tor :-) I guess they like Rush too. And by the way, I too discovered Rush only by this site. I simply have no one to tell me about them. If I wouldn't be atheist, I would say God bless internet.

http://www.progarchives.com/

Do you see the genre list upwards ? In total 22, starting with Cantenbury. Including three metals:

Prog Metal (dream theater like)
Experimental/Post metal (post metal, good term)
Extreme/Tech metal (mostly death metal)

on respective pages are also interesting descriptions.

Will try to listen them. This is great thing about prog community. Recommendations. I love it.

kk0sse54
January 24th, 2010, 04:12 PM

I love Progressive Metal and Animals as Leaders are just absolutely amazing. Also check out Between the Buried and Me, their music is just utterly beautiful especially the song Swim to the Moon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_6Dybf024A)

pwnst*r
January 24th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I love Progressive Metal and Animals as Leaders are just absolutely amazing. Also check out Between the Buried and Me, their music is just utterly beautiful especially the song Swim to the Moon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_6Dybf024A)

Oh my....that was awesome, thanks for the link!

luffy_chan_19
January 24th, 2010, 05:14 PM
i will put this simple. definition of progressive rock :genre of the greatest band in existance, RUSH.

example:
guy 1: hey do you listen to prog rock
Guy 2 heck yes i love rush

Martin McFly
January 24th, 2010, 06:24 PM
i will put this simple. definition of progressive rock :genre of the greatest band in existance, RUSH.

example:
guy 1: hey do you listen to prog rock
Guy 2 heck yes i love rush

Yep, I love Rush quite a lot, even I'm new into it. But that can be applied on whole prog.

I love a lot also first album, which most of prog community rejects. I've recently heard also WORKING MEN live, very good one. Worth trying ;-)

prog paradox example:
Guy 1: Hey, do you like Pink Floyd ?
Guy 2: Yes, actually a lot.
Guy 1: So you do like Prog Rock.
Guy 2: <confused> Really ?

johnb820
January 24th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I feel this thread would not be complete if The Mars Volta was not mentioned. Also check out Omar Rodriguez-Lopez who in the last 9 years has released 14 solo records. He is the modern day Zappa.

nothingspecial
January 24th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Rush are the greatest ever band (unless I`m in hippie mode, or metal mode, or goth mode, or punk mode, or jazz mode............)

But if I`m having a prog day Rush are top (unless I fancy some Genesis, or Yes, or King Crimson ...........)

And they got their own South Park - lil' Rush (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrejJHPnVfk) and cgi-drummer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjS5ckeoens)

nmccrina
January 24th, 2010, 09:08 PM
If you enjoy the Yes's and ELP's of the world, you should check out some Italian prog. You can't find it in the States, but my sister went to Italy and brought me back some Banco del Mutuo Soccorso and Premiata Forneria Marconi. They are really good, and rated highly at Progarchives as well.

Chilli Bob
January 24th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Will check out Prog Archives. I love Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull etc. Never really heard much Rush. Mars Volta are pretty out there too. Just listening to Animals as Leaders on You Tube. Sounds pretty awesome.

Also check out Jamendo for progressive rock and metal. There's some great original stuff on there for free.

Martin McFly
January 24th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Will check out Prog Archives. I love Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull etc. Never really heard much Rush. Mars Volta are pretty out there too. Just listening to Animals as Leaders on You Tube. Sounds pretty awesome.

Also check out Jamendo for progressive rock and metal. There's some great original stuff on there for free.

I also checked last.fm, some prog songs are for free, even they're rare.

If you want to contact me, just register and wrote a PM to me, my name's Martin McFly (you'll find me, just type: marty mcfly progarchives - into google).

If you want, I'll guide through the pages and explain some things.

DAMN, have to check these Animals as Leaders and Animals Collective too, everyone's talking about them. Not that I like doing things that majority does, but when it's both

Linux
&
Prog

majority, I go for it instantly :-D

rifak
January 24th, 2010, 11:49 PM
i dont see that anyone mentioned Don Caballero...great stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eup9Kwz3sy0 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mREn11voe_Q

nmccrina
January 25th, 2010, 04:22 AM
i dont see that anyone mentioned Don Caballero...great stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eup9Kwz3sy0 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mREn11voe_Q

I think a member of Don Caballero also is in Battles. Their album Mirrored is also good. Beware, though, it's as weird or weirder than The Mars Volta!

Rodney9
January 25th, 2010, 05:08 AM
I love Hawkwind and Uriah Heep

Martin McFly
January 25th, 2010, 10:12 AM
July Morning and Salisbury (song) are my favourite.

madnessjack
January 25th, 2010, 10:44 AM
I'm not not a fan, but the reason I don't hype over prog is because if you listen to things like Stravinsky's Firebird suite (and many other hundreds of pieces of music pre-1900) the music is far more experimental (from a theory side).

I think the problem occurred when all their innovative instruments became mainstream (thinks like synths) so it's no longer exclusive and progressive.

szymon_g
January 25th, 2010, 10:59 AM
so far I found nothing better than Svann :). shame they made only one album in 2003 :/ (but all of them have got few years of experience with music, in different groups)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfc3EY2EAOI

Chronon
January 25th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I'm not not a fan, but the reason I don't hype over prog is because if you listen to things like Stravinsky's Firebird suite (and many other hundreds of pieces of music pre-1900) the music is far more experimental (from a theory side).

I think the problem occurred when all their innovative instruments became mainstream (thinks like synths) so it's no longer exclusive and progressive.

A lot of classical music does explore very complex melodic and harmonic structures, but I find that the rhythmic dynamics are usually not that interesting. One of the things I appreciate in proggish music is experimentation with exotic time signatures and polyrhythms.

lykwydchykyn
January 25th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I love all kinds of prog, but somehow I can't get into anything that pretends to be prog after about '85. Somewhere along the line it turned into "crappy metal band + keyboard talent". Give me some old Yes like "Tales from topographic Oceans".

Of course, I have to keep that secret here in Nashville; my music business friends would crucify me for liking something that lacked major commercial potential.

Martin McFly
January 25th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I love all kinds of prog, but somehow I can't get into anything that pretends to be prog after about '85. Somewhere along the line it turned into "crappy metal band + keyboard talent". Give me some old Yes like "Tales from topographic Oceans".

Of course, I have to keep that secret here in Nashville; my music business friends would crucify me for liking something that lacked major commercial potential.

It's like one guy I talked to from similar place in USA (not so friendly to prog & etc), he made T-Shirt with logo of ELP's Tarkus

He said that he made it because
1)he wanted to feel good and
2)for 1/10.000 who will understand what it actually is :-)

(probably his girl, but who knows)

nmccrina
January 25th, 2010, 10:19 PM

I agree. Even the new "symphonic" prog bands (Transatlantic, The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard) don't seem to have as great a dynamic as the old bands. Yes, they have got the epic keyboard solos and everything, but they never throw you any curveballs like a "Toccata" or "Sound Chaser". In other words, prog today has lost the "Progressive" part.

madnessjack
January 25th, 2010, 10:23 PM
A lot of classical music does explore very complex melodic and harmonic structures, but I find that the rhythmic dynamics are usually not that interesting. One of the things I appreciate in proggish music is experimentation with exotic time signatures and polyrhythms.
YOU WHAT???!!!!

Find me some drugged up long haired old guy that can play THIS:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/Stravinsky,_The_Rite_of_Spring,_Sacrificial_Dance. PNG
(The Rite of Spring if anyone wants a listen!)

In The Firebird Suite, we had to play a bar of 7, 5 and 3 at the same time. It wasn't easy. :P

lykwydchykyn
January 25th, 2010, 11:07 PM

There's no question that Stravinsky, Schoenberg, Webern, and similar twentieth century composers were more theoretically complex, never mind more modern composers working with electronics and music concrete. But if you reduce prog rock to some objective comparison of "my music is more experimental/complicated than yours" you miss the point.

Prog rock is about pushing rock and pop to more complex and expressive musical forms; it's about adding to what you can express with popular idioms.

I think the problem is more that it became a genre; and like all genres the first wave of artists synthesizes something unique from a variety of inspirations none of which were part of that genre. Later waves of artists are all inspired by the original wave, and as the genre feeds back into itself it becomes a caricature of itself. You see this with nearly all genres of popular music.

In other words, the first wave of progressive rock bands took rock, folk, eastern music, classical, and experimental electronic music and created something never heard before. The second wave of prog musicians all listened to the first wave of prog musicians, and tried to create something that fit the genre.

nothingspecial
January 26th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Uriah Heep - July Morning, Sailsbury = amazing.

Hawkwind ?? , Well they`re are one of my favourite bands - ever - in the world........ but progresive ....... nah

Their whole objective is to **** your head, which they have accomplished more than 9/10 times that I have seen them (somewhere between 90 & 100 times).

Is that 9.5?

Martin McFly
January 26th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Uriah Heep - July Morning, Sailsbury = amazing.

Hawkwind ?? , Well they`re are one of my favourite bands - ever - in the world........ but progresive ....... nah

Their whole objective is to **** your head, which they have accomplished more than 9/10 times that I have seen them (somewhere between 90 & 100 times).

Is that 9.5?

Sadly, they don't play Salisbury on gigs too much. I mean recorded gigs that you can get as DVD. Final "epic" is mostly Easy Living, but I would rather see/hear Salisbury. But I suppose getting orchestra ain't easy.

If you believe it, it can be 9.5 ... but we're Linux people, don't forget :-) so 9.04 / 9.10 would be more appropriate.

rifak
January 26th, 2010, 05:36 PM
i would like to personally thank those of you who mentioned Animals As Leaders....simply amazing. That album is a masterpiece. I definitely hope they continue to make more.

aaaantoine
January 26th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Re: Subject

Yes.

YOU WHAT???!!!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/Stravinsky,_The_Rite_of_Spring,_Sacrificial_Dance. PNG

In The Firebird Suite, we had to play a bar of 7, 5 and 3 at the same time. It wasn't easy. :P

I bet I know of at least one drugged up long haired old guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Rudess) that can.

*cough* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgZhiYff7nM)

nmccrina
January 26th, 2010, 06:27 PM
YOU WHAT???!!!!

That particular segment isn't especially difficult. You're not actually having to play 7 notes with the right hand at the same time as you're playing 4 with the left or something (I've seen this a lot in Chopin's music). The time signature changing is not enough by itself to make it difficult. I'm not saying Stravinsky isn't complex, but this is perhaps not the best example?

Also, this argument is somewhat flawed because a lot of prog musicians could in fact be great classical performers if they weren't cool enough to want to rock out. :P

madnessjack
January 27th, 2010, 10:14 AM
That particular segment isn't especially difficult. You're not actually having to play 7 notes with the right hand at the same time as you're playing 4 with the left or something (I've seen this a lot in Chopin's music). The time signature changing is not enough by itself to make it difficult. I'm not saying Stravinsky isn't complex, but this is perhaps not the best example?
I'm well aware of this, I just hoped no-one would read it (the dots just looked confusing :P)

Also, this argument is somewhat flawed because a lot of prog musicians could in fact be great classical performers if they weren't cool enough to want to rock out. :P
Very true, I always think of a prog musician on the keys as that Beethoven character in the Bill and Ted movie, shredding on about 5 or 6 keyboards.

The point I'm getting at is the composition. Someone made a point about prog music being a progression of rock and popular musics, and I guess that's the best way of putting it. I just hate meeting some of these guys bragging about bars of 7/8 and 15/16 when they for sure were not the innovators. :)

Martin McFly
January 27th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Re: Subject

Yes.

I bet I know of at least one drugged up long haired old guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Rudess) that can.

*cough* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgZhiYff7nM)

When not talking literally (long haired, well, he used to be)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/216/476601251_e7da1c3559.jpg

Try to watch some Dream Theater gig dvd, where there are close-ups on his playing. He's freaking fast, his fingers are like spiders on speed.

Also, big master himself. His style is simply impressive. Note that he's one of few guitarists with extraordinary muscles (most of these "best" guitarists are/were skinny - Steve Vai, Jimi Hendrix etc etc.
http://obeyurnapster.unblog.fr/files/2007/06/johnpetruccileger1.jpg

Looks like I should give these Animals a try, everyone's talking about them, happy.

Chilli Bob
January 27th, 2010, 02:47 PM
YOU WHAT???!!!!

Looks like Dillinger Escape Plan to me. :P

aaaantoine
January 27th, 2010, 07:14 PM
[hilarious depiction of John Petrucci]

I like how his pinky finger has 3 joints past the knuckle.

Kai69
January 28th, 2010, 04:28 PM
What about Tangerine Dream started in the 60s and still going

nmccrina
January 28th, 2010, 06:19 PM
What about Tangerine Dream started in the 60s and still going

Their only album that I've heard Phaedra, but it was awesome. What about Jean-Michael Jarre, Vangelis, and Brian Eno? Oxygene is a great album too.

Kai69
January 28th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Wow someone whos actually heard of these composers JMJ I have all his CDs Vangelis im still collecting Brian Eno ( famous for making the audiance s*** themselves with his brown noise) only heard his work through Hawkwind:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS

Enigmapond
January 28th, 2010, 08:24 PM
I can't believe you used Jean-Michael Jarre, Vangelis, and Brian Eno in the same sentence unless you were doing an opposite pole comparison study....

nmccrina
January 28th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I can't believe you used Jean-Michael Jarre, Vangelis, and Brian Eno in the same sentence unless you were doing an opposite pole comparison study....

Well, they're all vaguely electronic? I don't know, I was throwing out names that someone who liked Tangerine Dream might also like, for conversational purposes. It wasn't really a serious music criticism analysis. :p

Kai69
January 28th, 2010, 08:55 PM
OK JMJ and Vangelis arent prog rock, more electro/ new age How about Camel

nmccrina
January 28th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Oh yes, I almost forgot: does anyone else like Ozric Tentacles?

Kai69
January 28th, 2010, 08:57 PM
WHO LOL:p

nmccrina
January 28th, 2010, 08:57 PM
OK JMJ and Vangelis arent prog rock, more electro/ new age How about Camel

Yes, I got Mirage when I was just getting into Yes and Genesis. I didn't like it at first because I was expecting something more Yes-ish, but now I appreciate it for its own sound. It is real mellow and laid-back, which I like!

nmccrina
January 28th, 2010, 09:00 PM
WHO LOL:p

They're a space-rock band from the '80s until now. I've heard them being compared to Hawkwind. Their specialty is incredible bass grooves underneath glorious layers of synths :D

Kai69
January 28th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Ive only heard one Camel track when i was about 7 uncle was a hippy but i liked it never seen their albums for sale though BTW John Anderson (YES) did make an album with Vangelis ..

nmccrina
January 28th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Ive only heard one Camel track when i was about 7 uncle was a hippy but i liked it never seen their albums for sale though BTW John Anderson (YES) did make an album with Vangelis ..

Yeah, my dad keeps telling me about how awesome it is, especially the track "The Friends of Mr. Cairo". I haven't got around to listening to it yet, though.

Did you know that Vangelis almost joined Yes? This was after Tales, and Patrick Moraz ended up being the keyboardist instead. But Jon and Vangelis continued working together (Jon also appears on Vangelis' album "Heaven and Hell").

Kai69
January 28th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Ozric Tentacles just found their my space site not bad the only thing that came to mind is Bill Bailey dont know why Honestly they do have a good sound though.

frenchn00b
January 28th, 2010, 09:21 PM
yeah, progressive rock is cool
Is there good radio stream ?

kelvin spratt
January 28th, 2010, 09:27 PM
john & Vangelis made more than 1 album together the album john & Vangelis, is a much better album than Friends of Mr Cairo, I have over 1,000 albums from that era. and about 600 cds then in the 90s music got crap so I stopped. But in 2009 I downloaded some Royalty free albums like 5SKS which is excellent.

Kai69
January 28th, 2010, 09:32 PM
The only track that i really like with Jon and Vangelis is I'll find my way home. I find jons voice a little too high pitched. 90s music was crap but then i was a teenager in the 80s so a lot of my music tends to be synth based.:guitar:

matthewbpt
January 28th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I love prog, makes one gain faith in modern music again after hearing all the rubish on the radio. My favs are Porcupine Tree and Opeth. Dream Theater too, and the classics like King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Rush, ELP, etc. Some of the early Fleetwood Mac (ie Peter Green era) is very proggy, I love "Green Manalishi (with the two Prong Crown)," must be one of Peter Green's darkest songs.

aaaantoine
January 28th, 2010, 10:55 PM
By the way, if it hasn't been posted already, this makes for one of my favorite Cracked Topic pages: http://www.cracked.com/funny-2359-progressive-rock/

nothingspecial
January 28th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Oh yes, I almost forgot: does anyone else like Ozric Tentacles?

Yes, Yes, Yes.

Infact, I have shared a few *ahem* rollups *ahem* with them in various English fields over the years.

I would describe their sound as exactly ambientspacerockdubmetaltrancedrum`n`bassrock.

And they are definitely the finest exponents of that particular genre.

They are not Hawkwind though.

The only recent band that comes close is 65daysofstatic.

But they are not the Ozrics

Who are not Hawkwind.

Do Not Panic!

markbuntu
January 29th, 2010, 12:03 AM
There is a good BBC series on the history of prog rock at google video.

I was way into prog rock in the 70s and saw some amazing shows, ELP,YES, Pink Floyd, Genesis. They just don't do that kind of stage magic anymore....and they could be so fantastic now with all the new technology.

Ozric Tentacles is good, but not expecially coherent when put up against stuff like ELP's Tarkus or Yes's Tales from Topographic Oceans and the live shows that came with them.

nothingspecial
January 29th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I wasn`t suggesting that The Ozrics even are prog rock.

Just happy that someone else knew them.

I wasn`t suggesting that The Ozrics even were prog rock

Although, due to noodly bits and weird time sigs you could make a case. ;)

baddog144
January 29th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Just listened to In the Court of the Crimson King. It was superb :D
Unfortunately, my speakers have decided to lay down and die, so now I am without music, save my iPod :(

nothingspecial
January 29th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Just listened to In the Court of the Crimson King. It was superb :D
Unfortunately, my speakers have decided to lay down and die, so now I am without music, save my iPod :(

You only have one music system??????

Bad planning

baddog144
January 29th, 2010, 12:39 AM
You only have one music system??????

Bad planning

Blah, this is true. But I lack money for another.

nmccrina
January 29th, 2010, 03:43 AM
By the way, if it hasn't been posted already, this makes for one of my favorite Cracked Topic pages: http://www.cracked.com/funny-2359-progressive-rock/

Hilarious, and right on!

Martin McFly
January 29th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Hilarious, and right on!

Yep, it's funny and way better than Uncyclopedia Prog article.

Martin McFly
January 31st, 2010, 01:57 PM
Anyone here interested in Swedish Prog ? Beardfish anyone ?

Martin McFly
February 7th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Just listened (again) (and reviewed) Kansas - Leftoverture.

What a great album it is.

markbuntu
February 7th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Kansas??? I don't know about that as prog.
does anyone have any Starcastle?

lykwydchykyn
February 8th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Kansas??? I don't know about that as prog.

Not sure where you draw the line, especially for Rock in that era which was a bit more adventurous than modern rock, but I'd put Kansas on the progressive side.

I mean, "Cheyenne Anthem" is every bit as progressive as anything ELP ever did.

http://www.lala.com/#album/504684633536516710