PDA

View Full Version : Optimized Scenario for 4GB SD + 160GB HDD ?

johmut
January 24th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Hi All,

On a netbook that came with WXP Home, I want to install Ubuntu Netbook Remix 9.10 :P
I cannot get rid of WXP all together because of company software tools WXP only :(
I partitioned my HDD into WXP System partition and (to be shared) User partition.
I want to install UNR 9.10 on 4GB SD card to boot into Ubuntu and use HDD User partition as shared storage for both Ubuntu and WXP. So far nothing too fancy right :D

For performance reasons, I want to set-up /tmp in ramdisk (I have 2GB) ?
For making sure the 4GB SD will not run out of space soon, I would like to set-up /USR in shared HDD User partition ? I believe I can then upgrade/reinstall Ubuntu on (another) 4GB SD card without loosing my settings, my installed applications, my shared contents.

What scenario would you advise I use to make all this happen ?
My netbook is an Asus Eee PC 1000HE.

BTW: Can one already safely use Compiz/Fusion these days on the UNR to improve on the desktop eye candy ? My netbook is powerful enough to handle it but I had a bad experience with this in the past (basically screwed up my X11 configuration).

Thanks in advance for your assistance and advice.

Best Regards,
JohMut

johmut
January 31st, 2010, 12:30 PM
Dear Community,

May I gently bump this post for a response please ...
There must be people out there that have some experience with this. Please reply with some tips & tricks, do's an,d don'ts, even if you just send me some links to read-up on with a little text to glue things together, I'll be a happy man :P

TIA,
JohMut

scratman
January 31st, 2010, 12:45 PM
Honestly, I'm not sure I can entirely answer your questions. However, 4Gb SD should be plenty of space to install the operating system. I think /tmp may be mounted to memory automatically, however, I'm unsure of that so I suggest you research that.

I will say, however, that I have been able to install Ubuntu desktop onto an 8Gb USB Pendrive, and that worked pretty flawlessly. I simply mounted the shared partition of the Hard Drive to store data when I ran out of space on the pendrive. I can't see any reason why you couldn't install Ubuntu to a 16gb or 32gb pendrive and use that to store your entire operating system and data, obviously you'll need to be thrifty with the space on the drive, or move documents that you don't need on a day-to-day basis to another storage medium, but it can be done.