PDA

View Full Version : Would you Buy a Ubuntu Smart Phone or Mini Laptop

mrebanza
January 24th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I dunno - I use Ubuntu, I tinker with Ubuntu, I curse at Ubuntu. But I like tinkering with things to make them work. But most common people ... don't. And let's face it ... Ubuntu requires a lot of tinkering and TLC. More than any common Windows and especially any MAC user is going to do.

First off let me say that I agree with almost everything you just said but let me point out one think . . . . Apple OSX Computers and Laptops do not require any hacking around because the software and hardware are all build for each other. For Mac by Mac. You Plug your iPod into you iMac which is all synced with your iPhone. iLife . . . . or Mac OSX Life.

I am quite sure (please correct me if I am wrong) that their are TONS of web cams and printers that are windows only and will not work with Mac or Ubuntu/Linux. In fact the whole "Made for Windows AND Mac" thing is fairly new I remember back in the 90's and early 2000's when NOTHING worked on a Mac unless it was made by Mac . . . It was the whole iPod (and eventually iphone) craze that gave Apple their Mainstream appeal.

I think if Ubuntu was to partner up to create BRANDED HARDWARE it would be a great success....I would buy a Ubuntu Smart Phone or Laptop . . . . Would you???

mrebanza
January 24th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Would you buy a Ubuntu PC or Laptop with fully integrated and optimized supported video card, CPU, and other hardware & drivers ect ????

If they where to come out with a Ubuntu Laptop with a glowing Ubuntu Logo on the case (apple style . . . . I think I had a dream about it) would you buy it as long as it was fast and reasonably priced???

Also what about a Ubuntu Powered M.I.D. (Mobile Internet Device/Smart Phone) would you purchase a device with Ubuntu (or Ubuntu Lite) loaded as the primary OS???

Picture a Nokia N900 with a faster processor and more Ram running a full Verison of Ubuntu Karmic . . .

mrebanza
January 24th, 2010, 11:37 AM
http://thumbla.com/images/images/ubuntunoki.jpg

SuperSonic4
January 24th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Where is the "no" answer

fanboy poll is FAIL

mrebanza
January 24th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Sorry I thought iPhone, Android, and Ubuntu where enough for Smartphone OS chooses?!?!

Would you of preferred I include Windows Mobile??????

Psumi
January 24th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Sorry I thought iPhone, Android, and Ubuntu where enough for Smartphone OS chooses?!?!

The other user meant that there be a choice for buying NONE of those products, even if they had another (or no OS) OS attached. I would not buy a smartphone or cell phone unless I was forced to. And laptops? I don't buy online, so no ubuntu laptop for me, because no retailer sells them unless I get one custom made or used.

If I wanted to buy online, I'd have to use paypal sadly; I don't believe in debit/credit cards.

Skripka
January 24th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Where is the "no" answer

fanboy poll is FAIL

I just need a phone thxvrymuch. No need for a money vampire here.

KegHead
January 24th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Hi!

I think linux & Ubuntu are the future!

KegHead

Psumi
January 24th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Hi!

I think linux & Ubuntu are the future!

KegHead

Hi!

I think you are just going to post this in every ubuntu thread you see just to try and get your bean count up! :) Have fun doing that when you don't get beans in the community cafe!

Psumi

SuperSonic4
January 24th, 2010, 05:07 PM

No, I would have liked a "None of the Above" option. Some of us use our phones to text and call

The Toxic Mite
January 24th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Where is the "no" answer

fanboy poll is FAIL

this^^

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 07:09 PM
I would buy an Ubuntu phone, on the condition that it syncs with my (evoution) calendar and contacts on the computer with no ifs or buts.

I'm not sure about a laptop. I use a desktop at home, and the work laptop has to have windows on it.

And yes, there should be a "no" option in the poll.

k64
January 24th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I already have an Acer Aspire One wiped out with Ubuntu, thank you.

To be exact, it's the AOA110-1545 - the one that originally came with Linpus, which was a pain to configure and had you log in automatically by default - and didn't let you change it. Also: You can sudo without a password in Linpus! That's just plain insecure.

Stan_1936
January 24th, 2010, 07:49 PM
...I think if Ubuntu was to partner up to create BRANDED HARDWARE it would be a great success....I would buy a Ubuntu Smart Phone or Laptop . . . . Would you???

For laptops, they already have this:
http://system76.com/index.php?cPath=28

What more do you want?

EDIT: I would buy an Ubuntu smartphone.

k64
January 24th, 2010, 08:03 PM
If I buy a computer, I only erase its hard drive with Ubuntu. It's the same with cell phones, only this time I would use Android. Specifically, I would build Android from source and then use an Android image to wipe it out. The only reason I would use Android is because Ubuntu doesn't support ARM.

texaswriter
January 24th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Goto dell and enter "ubuntu" into any search field. It takes a couple of clicks because Dell tries to get you to click Windows url fields once [or twice], but click Ubuntu. I bought a real laptop with Ubuntu. It's a dual core [not a netbook], comes with a bunch of ram and a huge hard disk. I did want to make clear it is not a netbook and it is not a half computer. A real machine with real performance. Had I spent $300-400 dollars more with Dell, they woulda given me a better motherboard that allowed putting a graphics card in. As such, the processor in that like same computer is the same as mine and allows for the same amount of ram... same almost all stats... So, not needing the laptop for games, I didn't spend the extra $300 for nothing. That said, with proper drivers, the intel gma 4500hd works pretty slick for playing movies [local files, hulu, youtube, etc]...

Actually, with an update to the intel gma 4500hd driver in Karmic, my glxgears gets 2953 frames in 5 seconds... Whereas my much older dual core desktop [pentium d processor] with 4GB and an ati hd 4850 gets around 6000 frames in 5 seconds. So, not too shabby. :popcorn::KS:D

Mariane
January 24th, 2010, 08:42 PM
In France the compagny Keynux sells laptops and desktops with Ubuntu or Fedora or dual-boots. If you don't ask for windows you pay less for the same computer.

In this survey I selected Ubuntu but if I really had the choice I would go for something a bit more stable in a cellphone, Debian for example.

The point of having a cellphone is to be able to send and receive phone calls. The point is not to spend hours troubleshooting because the display and/or the sound card went haywire after an update. A phone with no sound would not be convenient to use.

Mariane