PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cursor names??

kaligus
January 24th, 2010, 09:44 AM
1) If one is running default Ubuntu (9.10 out of the box no additions or removals of theme engines, decorators, etc.) what are the cursor names one can use?

Google is not my friend in this case, in fact google positively hates me in this case... neither is downloading a pile of mouse-cursor themes and getting into their guts as I can only find a few names which seem to be in all cursor themes, yet can see many of the other names in action when using the cursor theme.

2) If one were silly enough to desire to make mouse cursor sets are there any tools such as "Microangelo" which just work, even from the command line (I do not care where they are just that I can see the cursor demo'd without rebooting/restarting X every time I want to make a change.

After much searching (google wasn't my friend but didn't hate me like it did above) I found some tools that make the task of turning images into x11-cursors almost fun but still nothing that lets me see the result of my labors without a restart of machine or X.

3) Is there an all in one tool (again like Microangelo) where I can create or edit icons live?

4) Is there a tutorial or man-page, or ancient epistle which comes close to being in the same ball-park as reality for what it takes to design a theme (mouse cursor //or// desktop //or// controls etc.)?

5) is five questions enough for today? EDIT: no forgot one...

6) what do the huge hex named cursors have to do with reality?

kaligus
January 26th, 2010, 11:59 PM
bump...

falconindy
January 27th, 2010, 03:52 AM
You'll find your cursor themes in '/usr/share/icons'. They're mixed in with other true icon themes.

kaligus
January 27th, 2010, 09:09 AM
You'll find your cursor themes in '/usr/share/icons'. They're mixed in with other true icon themes.

I found that but what names are valid *or* how do I tell Ubuntu what names to use from my theme?

$>cd /usr/share/icons/DMZ-Black/cursors/
ls -l

now do the same in in the other directories. Many names are identical between all of them themes, many are not.

Then there is the huge stack of hex numbered names that seem to be at least partially vital as all of the themes I have downloaded and/or looked at all have a smattering of these.

falconindy
January 28th, 2010, 04:52 AM
In your provided example path, "DMZ-Black" is the valid name.

warfacegod
January 28th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Here are... well, I stopped looking after 36 pages. With ten pointer/cursor themes to each page.. well you get my point.

http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=36&PHPSESSID=63cc2a2561caf66239f6e0a5296b8609

kaligus
January 30th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I think I am failing to get my point across correctly...

I know the name of the cursor themes... piles and piles of them

I am looking for the valid names for an actual cursor to be called when one is making a cursor theme.

I can find a small number of names like "default", "copy", "move", etc. that are always present in a cursor theme.

I can find a couple of big hex names which are always present.

Then EVERY theme I have looked at so far has a huge number of additional names of cursors which I can see a cursor for when I perform the act in question.

Where do I find a list of the names including hex names that I can assign to each cursor such that the system will actually display a cursor appropriately in a theme I have designed all by my self?

Google returns as many lists of these names as themes and with as much variety in all but a very few word names like "default".

kaligus
January 30th, 2010, 06:27 AM
it is called Windows Navigation Start.wav

to disable or enable it, go to start>control panel>sound

Click the 'sounds' tab. In the window, scroll down to 'Windows Explorer' and in the sub menu, highlight 'Start navigation'

To get rid off the sound, pull down the drop down box below, where it currently says 'Start' or 'Windows Start' and choose '(none)' instead. Click 'Apply', then click OK, and close the Control Panel.
To get the sound back, select windows navigation start.wav.

I think this got dropped in the wrong place??