PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I want Python 2.6, should I upgrade Hardy?

ladasky
January 24th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Hi folks,

I'm using Hardy, and it has almost everything I need. But the Python 2.5 standard library is lacking some critical functions for me.

Since I can't get Python 2.6 through Synaptic, I just downloaded the Python 2.6 Linux package from python.org. I did the configure, make, and install. Everything seemed to run correctly and, as the Readme file told me to expect, I now have a Python 2.6 executable in my /usr/local/bin.

Only problem is, Python 2.4 and 2.5 are in /usr/bin. When I start IDLE, 2.5 is still what comes up. Clearly, Synaptic does more than just configure, make and install...

Jaunty or Karmic both come with Python 2.6 standard. I could upgrade, BUT my system is configured with dual hard drives in a software RAID 1 array. I have been reading that upgrades with RAID present are proving problematic.

I suppose I'll want to upgrade eventually. But the last time I upgraded, from Dapper to Hardy, I broke a whole bunch of stuff. I lost the ability to FTP to external computers, and my wife's Mac could no longer communicate with my machine (which is our printer server). Eventually I got it all back, thanks to the fine people here in Ubuntu Forums. But it wasn't exactly easy!

So once again, I am turning to you for your recommendations. Thanks.