PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Grateful Dead song (any version)?

HappinessNow
January 24th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Mine is "Friend of the Devil" This Version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDgPZScj5Ak).

lemmy999
January 24th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Sugaree- any version!

Chilli Bob
January 24th, 2010, 01:38 PM
In 39 years of listening to all genre of music, from all periods, I have never heard a Grateful Dead song. Never. I know a bit about them, have seen photos of the band and even seen several members interviewed in documentaries, but never heard even a second of their music.

HappinessNow
January 25th, 2010, 07:48 AM
In 39 years of listening to all genre of music, from all periods, I have never heard a Grateful Dead song. Never. I know a bit about them, have seen photos of the band and even seen several members interviewed in documentaries, but never heard even a second of their music.They were most known for live music, not recorded music. You might say they had a cult following, must recorded versions of their music was bootleg, legal bootleg since the band encouraged free and Open Source music.

Icehuck
January 25th, 2010, 07:56 AM
They were most known for live music, not recorded music. You might say they had a cult following, must recorded versions of their music was bootleg, legal bootleg since the band encouraged free and Open Source music.

Uh, they put out tons of albums but they were recorded from their live shows. Also they made millions of dollars by defending their IP and maintaining ownership of their music.

I always liked Touch of Grey.

HappinessNow
January 25th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Also they made millions of dollars by defending their IP and maintaining ownership of their music. ...good for them! :P

handy
January 25th, 2010, 11:05 AM
The Dead:

Casey Jones :)

The Jerry Garcia Band:

Cat's Under The Stars

V for Vincent
January 25th, 2010, 11:09 AM
New Speedway Boogie.

tele_mark
January 25th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Fire on the Mountain

nothingspecial
January 25th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Depends on my mood....

There is of course the longest ever Playing in the Band (http://www.archive.org/details/gd74-05-21.lee.weiner.gdADT.10150.sbeok.shnf) 1974-05-21. In fact that is my favourite show.

For blistering Jerry, I like Let it Grow from the live album Dead Set (but its only on the bonus disk - reissue not the original)

Then there is this recording of Loser (http://www.archive.org/details/gd1972-09-28.sbd.miller.94268.sbeok.flac16) 1972-09-28 because you can only hear Bob - a masterclass in the art of rhythm guitar playing.

Live shows are the best but studio recordings?

Unbroken Chain
Box of Rain
Crazy Fingers
Jack Straw

in no particular order.

Ooops, I`ve just outed myself as a deadhead.

Edit*** And then just recovered, because they neve released a studio version of Jack Straw, so I can`t be that much of a deadhead****Edit

Edit***oops***Edit

Groucho Marxist
January 25th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker's cover of "Friend of the Devil" off of their 2009 Live Anthology boxed set

saulgoode
January 25th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Uh, they put out tons of albums but they were recorded from their live shows. Also they made millions of dollars by defending their IP and maintaining ownership of their music.
The Grateful Dead may defend the copyrights of their own music recordings, but they also permitted, even encouraged the exchange of bootleg recordings. They even permit the posting of these recordings on the Web (see the following terms) and there is a massive collection available for download at Archive.org (http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead).

STATEMENT TO MP3 SITE OPERATORS

The Grateful Dead and our managing organizations have long encouraged
the purely non-commercial exchange of music taped at our concerts and
those of our individual members. That a new medium of distribution
has arisen - digital audio files being traded over the Internet - does
not change our policy in this regard.

Our stipulations regarding digital distribution are merely extensions
of those long-standing principles and they are as follow:

No commercial gain may be sought by websites offering digital files of
our music, whether through advertising, exploiting databases compiled
from their traffic, or any other means.

All participants in such digital exchange acknowledge and respect the
copyrights of the performers, writers and publishers of the music.

This notice should be clearly posted on all sites engaged in this activity.

We reserve the ability to withdraw our sanction of non-commercial digital
music should circumstances arise that compromise our ability to protect
and steward the integrity of our work.

KegHead
January 25th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Hi!

I think it's trucking.

The greatest band from this era/genre is:

Quick Silver Messenger Service.

"Dino's Song"

KegHead

nothingspecial
January 25th, 2010, 06:05 PM
The Grateful Dead may defend the copyrights of their own music recordings, but they also permitted, even encouraged the exchange of bootleg recordings. They even permit the posting of these recordings on the Web (see the following terms) and there is a massive collection available for download at Archive.org (http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead).

The rules are quite straight forward. You can download the "auds" but not the "sbds".

You are free to listen to the "sbds" as a stream.

auds are low quality audience recordings through a hand held, microphone.

sbds are high quality tapings directly off the soundboard.

There are some excellent aud recordings though it takes a bit of digging.

This is an excellent service. Illegal sharing of sbds may have this service stopped. Whatever I may or may not thing of illegal file sharing in general, you do not have to do it with Grateful Dead concert recordings because you can stream them freely. Do not do it.

Of course, if you knew about this before they pulled the plug on downloading sbds from the archive, you`d have a very nice collection like mine ;)