PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Security and penetration list.

t1nm@n
January 24th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Have u all heard abt nubuntu the thing is used for penetration testing.... been using it for a while and so far it is solid.... but it has no friendliness.... i was wondering if we can have the tools used there to be added to my present OS Jackalope ...

i need to have it as a tarball .. have anyone of u guys got some links for my problem ....
pls reply

bodhi.zazen
January 24th, 2010, 03:29 PM
If the software is in the repositories, use apt-get :

InstallingSoftware - Community Ubuntu Documentation (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware)

If it is not, you will need to compile it.

CompilingSoftware - Community Ubuntu Documentation (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingSoftware)

mkvnmtr
January 24th, 2010, 06:04 PM
There is a Ubuntu based security testing distro that I am using now called Back Track. If you are interested in security it might be a good place to start.

t1nm@n
February 7th, 2010, 01:54 PM
i know bt and i used it.... its really sweet.....

mkvnmtr
February 7th, 2010, 02:55 PM
In the standard repositories are many of the apps you might want. Just use the search box on ynaptic. Other than that google the app and download from the developers site.

t1nm@n
March 18th, 2010, 10:26 AM
thats cool ....but can we tranfer the directrories like /pentest from bt. since these are mainly scripts and stuff like that.

sh4d0w808
March 18th, 2010, 11:36 AM
U can also try Metasploit framework for pentest.

mkvnmtr
March 18th, 2010, 02:32 PM
You can enable the Backtrack repositories to download an app from them. Most will work but there may be some problems. Backtrack is on 8.04 and some special work was done by the team to get everything working. But try it. I would enable the repository to download the apps you need and then remove it so that you do not have problems having a 8.04 repository enabled. If you have problems remove the app and go to the developers site.

CharlesA
March 18th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Just wanted to note that BT4 Final is running on Ubuntu 8.10, and that they don't support installing packages from the backtrack repos onto anything other then backtrack.

Best way to go about it is to install them from the regular repos or download them from the author's site.

t1nm@n
June 27th, 2010, 08:26 PM
hey thanks guys... if y'all have a tool list can u give it here