PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Problems

Ckoi
January 24th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Hello everyone, I am new to Linux and Ubuntu... i have just installed the Desktop version on my IBM laptop... and i am experiencing problems with the desktop...

The screen does not seem to load properly, and incompletely... when i click on Firefox for example, i can see it appear in the bar at the bottom, but it doesn't load on the screen... but when i move the mouse cursor around, the content of the webpage slowly appears under where i move the cursor...

i don't know how to fix this problem.. if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks !!

Rick (Ckoi)

lykwydchykyn
January 24th, 2010, 06:08 AM
What model is your laptop? It's usually helpful to know the make and model of the graphics chip in these instances.

Also, what are the basic specs of the laptop (cpu, RAM, etc)?

Unix-Man
January 24th, 2010, 08:31 AM
It's because they're is no video driver installed to use you're video card to it's max potential.

Give us you're hardware information and we can determine what driver you should activate :D

Ckoi
January 24th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Hey guys,

Its an IBM Thinkpad R40... here are the specs on it...

Intel Pentium 4 M 1.3 GHz Processor
512 MB PC2100 Memory (2 GB Maximum)
40GB Hard Drive
24x CD-RW Combo Optical Drive
15" XGA LCD and ATI Radeon Mobility M7 Graphics with 32MB
SoundMAX AC'97 Audio
v.92 56kbps Modem and 10/100 Fast Ethernet
802.11b Wireless
Two USB 2.0 Ports, One FireWire Port and One Type III PC Card Slot
12.3" x 10" x 1.5" @ 5.6 lbs.

thanks for the help !! Linux is all new to me, so i'm just learning how to work things out.

Rick. (Ckoi)

Ckoi
January 24th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Still looking for some help guys...

anyone out there have any ideas as to what correction i would have to make to stop the desktop from going crazy ???

Thanks !!

lykwydchykyn
January 25th, 2010, 12:04 AM
You have an ATI chip in there, so we should try loading the proprietary driver.

If you can see the menu, try opening the "hardware drivers" tool. It should indicate that there is a proprietary driver available for your video card which is not activated.

Activate it. You'll need to be online, because it'll download and install the ATI video driver.

When it's done, reboot and see if the video is any better.