PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No display after upgrade to 9.10 (ATI Radeon)

john_roshi
January 24th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Dear Ubuntu fans,

I upgraded my HP Elitebook 6930p from 9.04 to 9.10.
When X starts the display shows random lines.
I can boot into "recover" mode from GRUB and get the command prompt.
9.04 worked fine so I'm pretty sure it's not the video card.
The video card is ATI Radeon HD 3400.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
Is there a workaround or fix I can issue from the command line?

Thanks,
--john

Fir3chi3f
January 24th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Did you upgrade to 9.10 from the Update manager? or did you burn a disk and install 9.10 over 9.04?

If you did use update manager to upgrade, did you install proprietary Ati drivers in 9.04?

If you had, Ubuntu might still be trying to use those drivers, which do not work in 9.10 of Xorg I believe.

Within the recovery console, try running a good old

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

That should upgrade fglrx if you installed it from the repositories.
Good luck and post back

john_roshi
January 24th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Did you upgrade to 9.10 from the Update manager? or did you burn a disk and install 9.10 over 9.04?

I upgraded using Update Manager.

If you did use update manager to upgrade, did you install proprietary Ati drivers in 9.04?
If you had, Ubuntu might still be trying to use those drivers, which do not work in 9.10 of Xorg I believe.

I don't think so. I don't remember doing so. And when I used Preferences>Display, I got the default dialog, not some vendor-specific one.

Within the recovery console, try running a good old

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

That should upgrade fglrx if you installed it from the repositories.
Good luck and post back

I tried your suggested update/upgrade but I didn't see anything in the console that looked like it did anything, and the problem persists.

Would installing ATI driver help? How do I do that from the command line? Is it a matter of using apt-get with the appropriate package name?

john_roshi
January 25th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Also, the machine boots from the 9.10 Live CD with no problem and goes to the graphical desktop fine.

So somehow Upgrade Manager messed things up.

--john

john_roshi
January 26th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I gave up. For whatever reason, Upgrade Manager messed me up beyond repair. I had to reinstall from a LiveCD. Much reinstalling of applications ensued. :-(

But now the display is working again.