PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please help!

reaply
January 24th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I am happy with ubuntu it's cool, but I want to go back to windows. I lost my windows cd. So I made a blank disc with an iso file. But the problem is. When I try to keep it inside my computer and restart it won't load. I think grub has something to do with this.

reaply
January 24th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Can someone, please help? :confused:

Fir3chi3f
January 24th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Not booting off of a disk sounds like a bios setting. grub is installed on the hard drive and does not change any other settings.

Entering bios is usually F2 - F12 depending on your system. And make sure that the CD drive is the first boot device.

I must ask though, when you installed Ubuntu for the first time, did you delete windows? The ubuntu default option is to just move windows over and install next to it. Allowing you to still boot into windows at startup.

Backup copies of windows usually don't work very well. The disk's signature isn't copied along with its content and could cause it to not boot.

reaply
January 24th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Thank you for the reply, here's the story. Ive had ubuntu, windows xp, windows 7 partitioned for like almost a year. And so one day when I go to startup I chose my xp startup and it made it go into recovery mode and I let it as soon as that was done windows 7 was gone and windows xp would say a boot up or something is missing. So I popped in ubuntu 9.10 disk. And installed it completely on my C:, ive checked my bios and it says "press enter" so when it says boot disc on startup I press enter but after 5 sec grub loads.

Fir3chi3f
January 24th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Do you have another computer in the house that you can try booting off that disk on? To make sure it is infact bootable.

flabdablet
January 24th, 2010, 05:35 AM
What make and model is your PC?

reaply
January 24th, 2010, 05:38 AM
RIG:
Manufacturer: Gateway
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 2432MB RAM
Hard Drive: 149 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Monitor:
Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek AC'97 Audio)
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface: razor
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Motherboard:
Computer Case: Gate Way

And no, I don't got another pc around here :/. I might be able to use my friends though heh heh. And ignore the OS. Old system information from last month before the problem.

flabdablet
January 24th, 2010, 05:45 AM
Is there a Gateway model number? That will help track down the correct keystrokes to use to force it to boot from CD.

flabdablet
January 24th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Also: if you've got Ubuntu running, and you pop your Windows setup CD in the drive, what files do you see on it?

reaply
January 24th, 2010, 05:46 AM
gt5056

reaply
January 24th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Nothing pops up.

reaply
January 24th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Oh ya, just incase. gt5056 is the model number.

Fir3chi3f
January 24th, 2010, 05:57 AM
No icons? Nothing under Places>CDrom?

reaply
January 24th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Oh ya, it's under place>CDROM.

Fir3chi3f
January 24th, 2010, 06:04 AM
If it looks like my screen shot than its a start, but it is still possible that it is a bootable disk. Have you used this disk before?

ps- I'm running out of coffee ](*,)

reaply
January 24th, 2010, 06:06 AM
Oh ya, sorry I forgot to mention. I made 1 disc with an iso. And the other everything extracted from the iso. The one with the iso a folder will automaticly pop up and the one without the iso doesn't do anything except you have to look for it under places.

reaply
January 24th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Running out of coffee!??!!? :(, no I just made the disc today. Heck, I just bought it 2 hours ago. It is DVD-R. and also nice desktop xD and the disc without the iso looks like that.

reaply
January 24th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Oh ya, I suggest putting black on your ip address ;).

Fir3chi3f
January 24th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the compliment, but you need to figure out if your windows install disk is even usable before we can help you anymore.

I have lost my $400 windows install disk many times, but it was always somewhere, I think you can handle everything once you have it.

reaply
January 24th, 2010, 06:21 AM
I shall test my friends pc then. So untill then, good night ubuntu users! And thank you for helping me.

presence1960
January 24th, 2010, 06:59 AM
So I made a blank disc with an iso file. But the problem is. When I try to keep it inside my computer and restart it won't load. I think grub has something to do with this.

If all you did was copy the iso to the disk it will never boot. If you burned the iso as an image to CD/DVD then it should boot as long as you have CD/DVD ahead of hard disk in the device boot order in BIOS.

lisati
January 24th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Thank you for the reply, here's the story. Ive had ubuntu, windows xp, windows 7 partitioned for like almost a year. And so one day when I go to startup I chose my xp startup and it made it go into recovery mode and I let it as soon as that was done windows 7 was gone and windows xp would say a boot up or something is missing. So I popped in ubuntu 9.10 disk. And installed it completely on my C:, ive checked my bios and it says "press enter" so when it says boot disc on startup I press enter but after 5 sec grub loads.
It is normal for grub to start before Ubuntu - grub is Ubuntu's boot loader

Oh ya, sorry I forgot to mention. I made 1 disc with an iso. And the other everything extracted from the iso. The one with the iso a folder will automaticly pop up and the one without the iso doesn't do anything except you have to look for it under places.

:confused: Don't extract anything from the ISO before putting it on disk!
Do what presence1960 says: burn the ISO file as a disk image. See here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

reaply
January 24th, 2010, 09:26 AM
It is normal for grub to start before Ubuntu - grub is Ubuntu's boot loader

:confused: Don't extract anything from the ISO before putting it on disk!
Do what presence1960 says: burn the ISO file as a disk image. See here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
I do burn them. And are you saying grub can be canceling the disc from starting?

reaply
January 24th, 2010, 09:30 AM
If all you did was copy the iso to the disk it will never boot. If you burned the iso as an image to CD/DVD then it should boot as long as you have CD/DVD ahead of hard disk in the device boot order in BIOS.
And what do you as an image? I just burned the iso into the disc isn't that what I do?

flabdablet
January 24th, 2010, 11:47 AM
First off: I'm not 100% sure that XP Setup will boot and run correctly from a DVD. You might actually need to use a CD-R.

Second: if I understand you correctly, you say that the disc you "made with an iso" does cause a file browser window to pop open when you insert it in your drive while Ubuntu is running. I'm still interested in seeing the names of all the files that appear in that window.

presence1960
January 24th, 2010, 01:10 PM
And what do you as an image? I just burned the iso into the disc isn't that what I do?

No it is not see the link lisati gave you.

jdeca57
January 24th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I'll let others try and help you with the hardware since I don't own a Gateway computer, but... You can make a recovery startup disk in Windows 7. I'd do that once you get the system underway, since using an iso for a new install erases all data. I hope you made a backup?