PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to disable gnome-shell?

user333
January 24th, 2010, 02:57 AM
I like the idea of gnome shell, but I'm not quite so sure I will actually like it, and I am really not so sure about entering "gnome-shell --replace" without knowing how to undo that... Could someone tell me how I would disable it and revert back to regular gnome if it slows my computer too much?

MichaelRX8
January 24th, 2010, 03:49 AM
When you restart it will go back to normal untill you do "gnome-shell --replace" again.

MichaelRX8
January 24th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Also, I always have to enter "gnome-shell --replace" twice to get it to change completely (don't know if this is just me).

user333
January 24th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the reply :D But is there a command in case this doesn't work?

dyltman
January 24th, 2010, 10:49 AM

If it wouldn't work I think you'd get a blank screen.

Really if it doesn't work it's just too reboot the computer.

VeeDubb
January 25th, 2010, 07:38 AM

I know that adding "--replace" at the end of a command sounds serious, but it's not. All that does, is tell gnome shell to "replace" the currently running window manager. It does not make any changes to your file system, and has absolutely ZERO chance of sticking after a reboot.

Also, all you have to do is go back to the terminal window you used to enter "gnome-shell --replace" and hit ctrl-c and your original desktop pops right back up.

ementos
August 28th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Ok... but you can also (when gnome-shell is run) run terminal, write "gnome-shell --replace" again and next to ctrl+c. Normal Gnome back!