PDA

View Full Version : GNOME Shell = GNOME 3: Not!

k64
January 24th, 2010, 02:54 AM
Many people have made the mistake that just installing GNOME Shell on top of GNOME 2 creates GNOME 3.0. It doesn't.

Case in point: Who knows what the GNOME 3 artwork and icons will look like? Who knows what apps will be in GNOME 3, if they will change and how?

These are questions to ask before making that assumption.

First of all, GTK+ will also be rewritten from the ground up (well, sort of: It will be based on Clutter) and all GNOME apps will probably look different and have such cool things as RGBA as well as transparency. I wouldn't be surprised if the final GNOME Shell also has RGBA.

Secondly, who knows what fully new apps will come with GNOME 3 that are totally revolutionary? You really have to wait and see.

These are all points to consider.

juancarlospaco
January 24th, 2010, 03:02 AM
If you install Dolphin on gnome you obtain KDE 4.x
XD

dragos240
January 24th, 2010, 03:08 AM
If you install Dolphin on gnome you obtain KDE 4.x
XD

If you install nautilus on KDE you obtain GNOME.

k64
January 24th, 2010, 03:17 AM
Exactly what I told you guys *NOT* to do!

n0dix
January 24th, 2010, 03:22 AM
You really have to wait and see.
These are all points to consider.

I not find much info about it. I expect to see the new Gnome 3, but i won't expect very excited because it is not my head Desktop Enviroment. ;)

juancarlospaco
January 24th, 2010, 03:27 AM
Development of Gnome is slower than KDE because dont have too many people coding,
but if the final result is good, its great considering the effort of these people.
And more code is not allways better software...

k64
January 24th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Development of Gnome is slower than KDE because dont have too many people coding,
but if the final result is good, its great considering the effort of these people.
And more code is not allways better software...

As I said: GTK 3 is supposed to be a Clutter fork.

Frak
January 24th, 2010, 04:58 AM
I think a lot of people are already very aware of this. Any time anybody says Gnome Shell = Gnome 3, somebody always jumps out from the shadows and says NUH UH, ITS NOT.

n0dix
January 24th, 2010, 05:04 AM
I think a lot of people are already very aware of this. Any time anybody says Gnome Shell = Gnome 3, somebody always jumps out from the shadows and says NUH UH, ITS NOT.

Well i think, it is because they think that a new version come with real innovation of the interface or functionality. I look gnome with the same interface since 2 years. :( . However, meanwhile i try other DE and stuffs.

Skripka
January 24th, 2010, 05:07 AM
As I said: GTK 3 is supposed to be a Clutter fork.

This post is unintentionally funny.

Mr. Picklesworth
January 24th, 2010, 05:21 AM
First of all, GTK+ will also be rewritten from the ground up (well, sort of: It will be based on Clutter) and all GNOME apps will probably look different and have such cool things as RGBA as well as transparency. I wouldn't be surprised if the final GNOME Shell also has RGBA.No, it isn't.
GTK is making a major release (3.0) because it represents a decisive API change; dropping direct access to properties in favour of getters and setters, amongst other small things that can break compatibility.

This leads in to possibilities for a nice animation framework (on the roadmap for some point soon during the 3.x series).

Gnome Shell already does RGBA, since it uses Clutter as opposed to GTK+ to draw the majority of its user interface. GTK+ already does RGBA, too; it's just that it is not enabled by default, so only a few apps enable it on their own end (for no apparent reason). The client-side window decorations patch would have enabled RGBA by default, but it looks like that will be sitting this release out due to some possible breakage.

Here you go: http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero/Plan

aviedw
January 24th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Will i always have to disable my Compiz to run Gnome Shell. I think its a cool interface. But i hate the idea of having to start it the way that i do. I wish it could automatically load up when i turn on the system. It might already have that function and im just showing my novice ways lol.

MooPi
January 24th, 2010, 06:32 AM
What ?

Frak
January 24th, 2010, 06:33 AM
What ?
inorite?

k64
January 24th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Will i always have to disable my Compiz to run Gnome Shell. I think its a cool interface. But i hate the idea of having to start it the way that i do. I wish it could automatically load up when i turn on the system. It might already have that function and im just showing my novice ways lol.

System > Preferences > Startup Applications > New Startup Appliation

Name: GNOME Shell

Command: "gnome-shell --replace"

If you don't yet have it installed you can install it here ('apt:/gnome-shell')

lisati
January 24th, 2010, 06:37 AM
inorite?

Que?

BTW, the Lisati household has enough clutter without a garden gnome messing with our forks or other cutlery.

symon1980
May 27th, 2010, 08:07 AM
First of all, GTK+ will also be rewritten from the ground up (well, sort of: It will be based on Clutter)

1) GTK is not being rewritten at all.. it is getting a cleanup and removing deprecated libraries no longer needed

2) Clutter is a window manager with compositing... like what compiz is... Clutter is merely replacing the current window manager "metacity"

Although I'm also eagerly awaiting gnome3... don't get too excited... There isn't a whole lot of exciting ideas coming....

we'll see....

TheNessus
May 27th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Any time anybody says Gnome Shell = Gnome 3, somebody always jumps out from the shadows and says NUH UH, ITS NOT.

Any time anybody says Gnome Shell = Gnome 3, a kitten dies.

Frak
May 27th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Sad Kitten

julio_cortez
May 27th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Any time anybody says Gnome Shell = Gnome 3, a kitten dies.
I just found THIS (http://files.myopera.com/eitaps/albums/289962/Dust-Photobucket.iminursrvrstelinurdataz.jpg) in my server room and seem to be unable to send him out..

So, let's try to get the server room clean:
Gnome Shell = Gnome 3

DIE, DIRTY BEAST.. DIEEEE!!

No cats were harmed during the making of this post. No, seriously. I checked outside and the cat of my neighbour is still there staring at me (http://www.hidden-anime.com/images/bancats/I_IZ_SERIUS_ADMNIM_THIZ_IZ_SERIUS_BIZNIS_lolcat.jp g).

ssj6akshat
May 27th, 2010, 10:31 AM
Clutter is a window manager with compositing... like what compiz is... Clutter is merely replacing the current window manager "metacity"

Uh no.Clutter is a toolkit(like Qt and GTK) and the one replacing Metacity is Mutter(which is Metacity with Clutter).

23meg
May 27th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Uh no.Clutter is a toolkit(like Qt and GTK) and the one replacing Metacity is Mutter(which is Metacity with Clutter).

Clutter isn't a toolkit in the sense that Qt and GTK+ are; it's more of a graphics library. GNOME Shell uses (alongside some GTK+) a custom Clutter-based toolkit called ST (Shell Toolkit) that was derived from the Moblin UI Toolkit (nowadays known as Mx).