PDA

View Full Version : Now then... what do you think of these programs?

Psumi
January 24th, 2010, 01:48 AM
As shown below...

#### After mini.iso Main Installation -- DO THESE!!
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:killeroid/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa
sudo apt-get update

#### Install The Programs, FINALLY!

## Do all the big stuff first...
sudo apt-get install xorg wdm openbox obmenu obconf menu tint2 pcmanfm usbmount

## Do the aftershocks...
## Do install stuff we need to have recommends on.
## ----
## ==== HP AIO Stuff ====
## Later on, you'll need to manually install your network scanner.
## Do so by using hp-makeuri IP-ADDRESS and changing CUPS to
## use the hp:// address instead of socket://
## CUPS admin address is localhost:631. Also, make sure that,
## Normal, Grayscale is the printout mode, don't need color,
## and Draft selects FastDraft through CUPS localhost addr.
## ----
sudo apt-get install alsa-utils hplip xsane

## Using no-install-recommends for stuff that has gnome-depends,
## since we don't want cruft in our system.
sudo apt-get install firefox flashplugin-nonfree smplayer leafpad pidgin gstreamer0.10-x xarchiver unrar p7zip-full unzip htop gtk-chtheme --no-install-recommends

this is merely a reference sheet, I don't plan to actually execute this file. I type out each of the executing lines by hand. Any programs you might suggest I use instead? I can't give up smplayer, I need it for the features it only has (parole and totem have those features as well though.) I also can't give up firefox for now.

For those of you wondering why I am choosing pidgin (as it requires gconf no matter what) over ayttm, it's because I can't compile 0.6.1 (which is readily available in lucid, but I have issues with lucid.) Ayttm gives me these errors, found in this post: http://georgia.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8709963&postcount=6

teresaejunior
January 24th, 2010, 01:53 AM
I've been using vim, and having a ... hard time. But I think geany is almost as light as leafpad and has many, many more features! I also do --no-install-recommends (in /etc/apt/apt.conf)

k64
January 24th, 2010, 01:53 AM
I simply add the" ppa:ubuntu-desktop/ppa" repository. That's if I want to enable RGBA.

Psumi
January 24th, 2010, 01:55 AM
I've been using vim, and having a ... hard time. But I think geany is almost as light as leafpad and has many, many more features! I also do --no-install-recommends (in /etc/apt/apt.conf)

I forgot to mention I need GUI mainly =/

I simply add the" ppa:ubuntu-desktop/ppa" repository. That's if I want to enable RGBA.

How to enable after adding that repo?

teresaejunior
January 24th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I found mc to be better than xarchiver, 'cause I can preview the files inside them both, but xarchiver asks too many questions

Do you really want to extract???
hein, hein, hein???

teresaejunior
January 24th, 2010, 01:58 AM
with GUI you mean vim? geany is GUI and fairly easy to use, but I'm digging deeper...

Psumi
January 24th, 2010, 02:01 AM
with GUI you mean vim? geany is GUI and fairly easy to use, but I'm digging deeper...

I hate vim with a capitol H. I tried to learn it, and failed miserably, didn't even know how to exit the program, so whenever I used it, I had to quit terminal or restart the system (if I was in terminal-only) so I've never used vim since.

Also, see new note about ayttm.

teresaejunior
January 24th, 2010, 02:03 AM
So I recommend geany inside X and mcedit out of it.

Psumi
January 24th, 2010, 02:05 AM
So I recommend geany inside X and mcedit out of it.

I'll stick with leafpad, geany looks... too complicated for my tastes. ;)

Plus, geany is about 2 MB in size to download.

teresaejunior
January 24th, 2010, 02:15 AM
I also do consider package size, but when programming or editing web pages, an IDE helps you to identify mistakes, among other things. leafpad is like notepad.exe...

Psumi
January 24th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I also do consider package size, but when programming or editing web pages, an IDE helps you to identify mistakes, among other things. leafpad is like notepad.exe...

That's what I always used, to be honest. Not that I plan to get back in the web page business.

Added usbmount package, as I need to automount USB Drives. I'd use pmount, but... hal is being removed in lucid, and hal is already being put off in karmic slightly.

teresaejunior
January 24th, 2010, 02:27 AM
See what I've done recently. Switched from
geany > vim
firefox > uzbl
rox > mc
fvwm > wmii
adobe flash > gnash

Suffering a lot, trying to see what I'm able to do... But it's rewarding after some decades!

even worse: trying to go from claws-mail to mutt...

juancarlospaco
January 24th, 2010, 03:12 AM
sudo apt-get install kupfer mp3blaster xterm bmon whowatch

Here is my noGTK, noQT, noWxWidgets EN/ES single file text editor (http://www.tecnicoslinux.com.ar/livecd/edipy_1_all.deb)

Heres an Identi.ca Bash Client (http://ur1.ca/kgsk)

Psumi
January 24th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Well with the setup I currently have, everything still takes about 160 MB of RAM to function. :D (though on average it's about 130 to 150 instead of 160 as an average.)

I wonder how I took 160 MB of RAM on lxde now when I had more demanding apps on it. :(