PDA

View Full Version : What apps that come standard with ubuntu do you use?

VCoolio
January 24th, 2010, 12:57 AM
I was a little amused by the thought that I hardly use any of the apps that come with ubuntu by default. I even switched to zsh instead of bash. I still use gedit (but heavily extended with extra installed plugins, eg for latex), nano (both soon to be replaced by emacs that I installed this week), gimp, sometimes openoffice, and sometimes nautilus but for network browsing only, and gdm (because I can't get anything else to run properly, otherwise it would have gone down the drain also long ago). So the only firm standing standard app I use is gimp and guess what is removed from the standard apps in Lucid?

My replacements:
file browser: thunar (instead of nautilus)
internet: uzbl, opera, seamonkey (instead of firefox)
text: latex, emacs (also gedit, nano, openoffice)
mail: claws-mail (instead of evolution)
pdf: epdf (instead of evince which is broken on my system for unknown reasons)
music: ncmpcpp (is mpd standard in ubuntu? not sure about that one)
sound: alsa (instead of pulse)
video: smplayer / vlc (mplayer is already there of course)
im / irc: irssi (instead of empathy / pidgin)
terminal: urxvt or roxterm (instead of gnome-terminal)
shell: zsh (instead of bash)
wm: e17 (instead of metacity / compiz)
system monitor: htop (instead of system-monitor or top)

Yes, I'm considering switching distros, but I'm not fixing something that's not broken.
Edit: I do use cron and osd-notifications; but even the latter I've replaced with a hacked osd that is positioned in the top right corner instead of an inch lower. Also I remembered I use gnome-screenshot.

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 01:08 AM
I use everything standard.

I tried a couple of different media players at one stage, but haven't settled on one. That has to do with the fact that I don't actually use the computer to listen to music or watch movies. I was just looking for one that worked.

earthpigg
January 24th, 2010, 01:10 AM
My replacements:
file browser: pcmanfm
internet: chrome on netbook. ff on desktop.
text: leafpad.
mail: web browser :P
video: vlc
terminal: i use gnome-terminal even on lxde.
de: lxde
wm: openbox as fallback for compiz. just openbox on the netbook.
gnome-panel: docky... and i keep lxpanel small and on autohide for when i need it.

d3v1150m471c
January 24th, 2010, 01:10 AM
gimp, gnome terminal, and the media players. Other than that I use deluge for torrents, pidgin for messenger, swiftfox for my browser, klamav for virus scanning, ect. ect.

k64
January 24th, 2010, 01:12 AM
OpenOffice.org, Ubuntu Software Center, GEdit. I also, more than anything, use the terminal to do some of the system tasks. That's because I like using sudo. Primarily using
sudo bash to get into the shell as root, and not having to type sudo over and over.

ctrlmd
January 24th, 2010, 01:43 AM
everything except for rhythmbox << the GUI huge and alot of unused space in the gui

Stan_1936
January 24th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I use everything standard...

Same here.

What can brown do for you?

angry_johnnie
January 24th, 2010, 02:56 AM
I pretty much use everything standard when in gnome, although most of the time i'll use xmonad instead.

the only replacements would be:

music - sox (unless i'm handling an external device, in which case i do use rhythmbox).
im - finch (unless i'm chatting with more than 1 person at a time, in which case i'd use empathy).
video - vlc
image editing - imagemagick (although i really don't do any advanced editing --if i did i'd probably use the gimp).
wm - xmonad (really tempted to replace it with gnome-shell)

other than that, it's pretty much defaults all the way. i gave dash a try some time ago, but i guess i'm just too used to bash already, so i figured why bother?