PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu One Being Ported To Windows

joey-elijah
January 24th, 2010, 12:53 AM
I know it's a sin to admit it around these parts, but i for one am really glad that UbuntuOne is being ported to Windows (by the UbuntuOne team at PyCon 2010.)

Hopefully this will see more people jump on board using it, help canonical make some money and thus the application will get even better! I'm certainly considering dropping Dropbox if the Windows app is up to scratch..

Edit: I have put a poll on the end of my blog post about it asking if you're more likely to use it once it has cross-platform support... be kind and vote!

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/01/ubuntuone-being-ported-to-windows.html

Chronon
January 24th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Not at all. Interoperability is only a good thing as far as 'net services' go.

earthpigg
January 24th, 2010, 01:01 AM
good!

itunes running on windows has, over the years, persuaded a lot of win users to buy macs.

same thing could happen here.

let's see if we can make 'ubuntu' a household word.

Paqman
January 24th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Good news! I hate having to use the web interface when i'm on a Windows machine.

WindPower
January 24th, 2010, 01:09 AM
It'd be nice if it was ported to Kubuntu too... :D

audiomick
January 24th, 2010, 01:11 AM
good idea. I hope it works well.

earthpigg
January 24th, 2010, 01:13 AM

lol

beetleman64
January 24th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Good news, if this takes off it could well see Ubuntu rise in popularity, just as iTunes for Windows saw Macintosh sales go up. Ubuntu One is one of the few cloud services that I trust (the other being the one I use for work) and it'll be great to have this on Windows computers which I use.

jflaker
January 24th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Would be nice if I can sync my folders across systems (windows or otherwise)

k64
January 24th, 2010, 01:24 AM
I don't see any problem with a Windows port of Ubuntu One. It will only trigger more migration to Linux.

That said, it would be better if Canonical created videos on YouTube that show hands-on comparisons between Ubuntu and Windows.

AllRadioisDead
January 24th, 2010, 02:33 AM
I don't see any problem with a Windows port of Ubuntu One. It will only trigger more migration to Linux.

That said, it would be better if Canonical created videos on YouTube that show hands-on comparisons between Ubuntu and Windows.
It's not going to trigger any migration to linux.
Cloud storage isn't very popular among average windows user, and those who do use dropbox, which has more storage than ubuntu one. This is mainly for linux users who have windows installations as well.

Simon17
January 24th, 2010, 02:33 AM

Linux videos on youtube... Genius!

pwnst*r
January 24th, 2010, 02:42 AM

^this.

(not really)

bigbrovar
January 24th, 2010, 04:51 AM
For christ sake this thing does not even have a kde port. I mean wouldnt it be nice to make it available to the millions of kde users first before sucking up to window? Ugh

AllRadioisDead
January 24th, 2010, 05:06 AM
For christ sake this thing does not even have a kde port. I mean wouldnt it be nice to make it available to the millions of kde users first before sucking up to window? Ugh
What's stopping you from setting it up in dolphin?
http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/howto/howto_setup_dropbox

Giant Speck
January 24th, 2010, 05:58 AM
I like this idea. It's better to bring the two operating systems together rather than further apart.

markinf
January 24th, 2010, 06:06 AM
The main problem with ubuntu one is that I'm locked to ubuntu, not even Kubuntu has. Imagine other linux distro.

AllRadioisDead
January 24th, 2010, 07:03 AM
The main problem with ubuntu one is that I'm locked to ubuntu, not even Kubuntu has. Imagine other linux distro.
Did you not see my post? It's two posts above, I don't know how you missed it.

earthpigg
January 24th, 2010, 07:24 AM

it is the responsibility of distro x to package software y for their distro.

as far as kubuntu, it works fine, as someone above pointed out.

Ubuntu One used to be in arch, but the maintainer abandoned it. the legacy version (1.0.1) is still available in the AUR.

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=30081

kostkon
January 24th, 2010, 08:34 AM
WHAT?!
(fake over-the-top reaction :P)

Doesn't work in Kubuntu?