PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] LiveCD persistent image and Firefox Flash plugin

BLANDCorporatio
January 24th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Greetings,

I have a Ubuntu 9.10 LiveCD (and I plan to keep using it as just a LiveCD); this works fine.

Firefox works fine too, and installing a flash player plugin is all right.

The problem appears when I reboot and see that Firefox no longer has the flash plugin installed.

So I tried making a persistent image USB stick for this, added the persistent keyword at the end of the boot options, and Firefox still forgets that it can actually play youtube videos.

The persistent image USB seems to be doing something, at least browsing through it shows several folders, for instance /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin which constains a file libflashplayer.so

It's just that Firefox doesn't seem to care. What else should I do?

Thanks!

C.S.Cameron
January 24th, 2010, 02:24 AM
You are labeling the partition on your pendrive casper-rw?

That should work as long as you are typing (space)persistent.
It took me hours to figure there should be a space before persistent.

You could also add a partition to your flash drive labeled home-rw and it should save your home folder stuff.

BLANDCorporatio
January 24th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Yes, casper-rw is the name I use, that's probably not the problem.

Should persistent come after or instead of the "--" at the end of the boot options?

Does the number of spaces matter?

Thanks for the home-rw, that sounds like a nice tip!

C.S.Cameron
January 24th, 2010, 02:57 AM
As soon as the Try Ubuntu screen comes up I press F6 then esc, (to get rid of the expert mode menu) then (space)persistent.

garvinrick4
January 24th, 2010, 04:05 AM
I use USB Start-up Creator in Ubuntu and get 4 gig of persistence after I get it where I want it.
I make sure I turn all updates off after first update and upgrade and in Firefox save nothing like in private browsing always so
as not to take up any drive space. Have about 52 meg left and stays there, which is fine. Can
use as a live CD or a 9.10 karmic system. Nothing seems to get over 4 gig persistence. Had a 16 gig that did, formatted in ext3 with /boot and / and swap. 3 partitions and worked fine on own machine but you put in another machine and will install grub2 which is fine if it already has one but if in a Windows machine with out grub2 owner might freak out when he see's his boot as a grub2.
Any way if you want the max of 4 gig persistence in fat32 then this usb startup creator in Ubuntu repositories was sure easy to install. Just needed a .iso file tell it to use 4 gig and say
start. I believe all in fat32 are maxed out at 4 gig.

BLANDCorporatio
January 24th, 2010, 09:26 AM
C. S. Cameron:

That is exactly what I'm doing. Well, the boot options look like this at first "{...} quiet splash -- " so I delete the two minus signs and add in persistent so that it looks like "{...} quiet splash persistent".

garvinrick4:

Thanks, that info may well be useful later!

However the problem for now is not lack of space on the persistent image, but rather Firefox not using it.

Lets say I configure Firefox to use APT, then go to Adobe and install a Flash Player plugin (which will work, I can watch youtube for example). These kinds of things should be remembered by the persistent image, right?

Still, if I reboot with the persistent image, I find that Firefox has no Flash installed. That is the problem.

C.S.Cameron
January 24th, 2010, 05:19 PM
BLANDCorporatio:

Do your other changes stay persistent? ie if you change your desktop background does it hold?

garvinrick4:

If you make a ext3 partition and label it casper-rw it can be any size and still work.

BLANDCorporatio
January 24th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Aww man I didn't even check that.

... and now that I did, negative. Background changes don't stick.

Still, the USB stick has one partition, it's called casper-rw and formatted ext2.

Before booting the Live session, I press F6 and add persistent to the Boot options string. If I move with the up/down arrows through the boot menu though, the change to the Boot option string doesn't stick.

So I just add in persistent and press enter, but it's not working.

C.S.Cameron
January 24th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I have to admit that I had been speaking from memory.
a casper-rw partition on a second flash drive works fine for me when booting from a non persistent flash drive but is no longer working for me when booting from the CD.
I have also tried an ext3 partition named casper-cow, this worked pre Gutsy but is not working for me now.
I will keep playing with this a while and let you know if I make any progress.

BLANDCorporatio
January 24th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks a lot for the time!

C.S.Cameron
January 25th, 2010, 01:16 AM
The following thread may or may not be of help, Ubuntu version was 8.10:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=953008

BLANDCorporatio
January 25th, 2010, 06:59 PM
It's getting better ...

I repartitioned the persistent image flash stick, this time in two partitions: casper-rw and home-rw. Afterwards, a

sudo su

followed by

chown ubuntu /dev/sdb1

(the casper-rw partition) then the same for the home-rw partition.

Persistence now works: not only does the Desktop stay the same between restarts, but Firefox remembers the tabs from last time as well.

However, the Flash issue is still there: the fact that the plugin was installed on a previous session is forgotten, so I need to reinstall it.

C.S.Cameron
January 26th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Hmmm, wonder why?
The flash plug-in sticks when it is installed to a "persistent" thumbdrive.

BLANDCorporatio
January 26th, 2010, 08:34 PM
I see, then how do I go around doing that?

Now I just go to the Adobe page, pick "APT install for Ubuntu 9.04" and let that do its magic. As long as the computer is not restarted, it works.

C.S.Cameron
January 27th, 2010, 02:21 AM
Here is a link to a recent thread where we discuss the pros and cons of the various methods of installing Ubuntu to a bootable thumbdrive.

BLANDCorporatio
January 27th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Here is a link to a recent thread where we discuss the pros and cons of the various methods of installing Ubuntu to a bootable thumbdrive.

Here ... where? :)

C.S.Cameron
January 27th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Oops.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1389585&page=2

BLANDCorporatio
January 30th, 2010, 11:11 AM
It works!

I followed the instructions for a LiveUSB, and also needed to boot with the following options

noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper persistent initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --

(before, I was trying to boot from a LiveCD with the options

noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash persistent

does the place where you put "persistent" matter?)

Thanks everyone!

alienkid10
February 19th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Hi I need to boot from a liveCD since none of my computers can boot from USB and my schools would need BIOS changes which I don't want to do. I use the following boot options in 9.10

noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash -- persistent

And all that get's saved to the casper-rw file is a 12hb lost+found folder. Anything I can do?

RobCr
March 24th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Give Puppy Linux a try, and be pleasantly surprised -
a) Runs totally in ram (and thus frees up the CD drive)
b) Very fast
c) IT KNOWS how to persist, without having to research your heart out
When you close your session, it prompts you to Persist your settings, data, etc.

The other distro's should also try it, and learn the proper way to provide persistence.

fsteve800
July 28th, 2011, 07:45 PM
You could download a deb package and save it if you do not mind installing it every time.

get the instructions here http://fsteve800.blogspot.com/ (http://fsteve800.blogspot.com)
How to view flash pages in Ubuntu LiveCD